Jason Thompson for Channing Frye

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Jason Thompson for Channing Frye 

Post#1 » by nba2k16 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 am

To GSW:
Channing Frye (3 years: $8.2M, $7.8M, $7.4M)
    -Still keep big man depth but get another greater shooter. Fits better with system since he can stretch the floor and play small ball C for them.
    - No significant change to luxury tax this year. Salary is there for 2 years but with the new cap the $7M salary will be less than average salary soon.

To ORL:
Jason Thompson (2 years: $7.1M, only $2.8M guaranteed)
    - He wasn't the best fit, so this a chance to shed the contract and get one that ends earlier.
    - Jason Thompson can play tough minutes here and there when needed but this opens up some time for Aaron Gordon to get ample opportunity at the 4.

Disclaimer: I know that Jason Thompson has been officially welcomed to Oakland and it's unlikely they will trade him but please just assess the validity of the trade based on the players. Would you do it from either side?
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Re: Jason Thompson for Channing Frye 

Post#2 » by lakerhater » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:42 am

My two biggest objections are Frye's age and that he pretty much duplicates what Speights does as a jump shooter from the high post to 3 point range.

Frye could make Speights irrelevant to GSW so I'd think GSW would rather deal MS for Frye if they were willing to take on CF's extra years.

JT gives the W's a better rebounder and stronger post defender from the deep bench then either MS or CF which is why I think they'd rather have JT plus one of MS or CF.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#3 » by Gomagic44 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:46 am

I'm inclined to give frye another year to pan out with a new coach etc. but I may trade him for MS straight up, right now, and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#4 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 am

No interest in this at all. If Orlando was to add some value (which they wouldn't want to) i might be able to be convinced, but just in general i don't really want to go from Thompson to Frye... primarily due to the lack of flexibility on Frye's contract, but also because my perception is that Thompson plays D and Frye doesn't.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:57 am

azwfan wrote:primarily due to the lack of flexibility on Frye's contract, but also because my perception is that Thompson plays D and Frye doesn't.

Yeah Frye is just limited physically on defense and his contract would be tough to swallow for any team, much less a high payroll team. Unfortunate, because it would be a ton of fun watching him on the Warriors.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#6 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 am

I think we can use a knock down shooter... preferably a combo guard, but SG/SF would work also. We dont really have any assets i'm willing to give up to get this mystery person. My inclination would be to bring a bunch of UDFA/Dleague shooters into camp and the one who can play NBA defense makes the team. If none of them can play NBA defense, leave the roster spot open and develop the ones we like most in Santa Cruz.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#7 » by gswhoops » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:11 am

lakerhater wrote:My two biggest objections are Frye's age and that he pretty much duplicates what Speights does as a jump shooter from the high post to 3 point range.

I'd throw in the extra $ and lack of defense as well. Not really any interest in this deal from my point of view.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#8 » by old rem » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:59 pm

lakerhater wrote:My two biggest objections are Frye's age and that he pretty much duplicates what Speights does as a jump shooter from the high post to 3 point range.

Frye could make Speights irrelevant to GSW so I'd think GSW would rather deal MS for Frye if they were willing to take on CF's extra years.

JT gives the W's a better rebounder and stronger post defender from the deep bench then either MS or CF which is why I think they'd rather have JT plus one of MS or CF.

the deal has no chance from the GSW POV.. and the MONEY...Contract is the key. GSW has pretty nice depth at 4+5 now. The JT deal has aa small guarantee next year. While Frye was a better 3 guy.. that's not a big need for GSW..and he would not have the minutes to matter.
CENSORED... No comment.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Gomagic44 wrote:I'm inclined to give frye another year to pan out with a new coach etc. but I may trade him for MS straight up, right now, and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

LOL. Of course you would. Speights is probably the better player and his contract is light years better.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#10 » by Laimbeer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:16 pm

azwfan wrote:I think we can use a knock down shooter... preferably a combo guard, but SG/SF would work also. We dont really have any assets i'm willing to give up to get this mystery person. My inclination would be to bring a bunch of UDFA/Dleague shooters into camp and the one who can play NBA defense makes the team. If none of them can play NBA defense, leave the roster spot open and develop the ones we like most in Santa Cruz.

The Warriors can't afford to be that comfortable. The 2015 version is going to be hard pressed to win a 2016 title with San Antonio, OKC, Houston, LAC, and Cleveland lurking. It isn't a question of the old gang staying together and just showing up to win another title.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#11 » by Smitty731 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Frye's shooting from deep would be really interesting on GSW. They could field a lineup where every single guy needs to be defended from the line on in. That would make spacing incredible. Really interesting thought.

I would probably pass on the deal though. Thompson gives the Warriors an additional defensive big, which they didn't really have. I also think is a good situation, we might finally see that the guy has value.

I do like Frye though. I don't think he's the disaster or a player or contract that people want to make him out to be. I just think Thompson fills a need for the Warriors more.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#12 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
azwfan wrote:I think we can use a knock down shooter... preferably a combo guard, but SG/SF would work also. We dont really have any assets i'm willing to give up to get this mystery person. My inclination would be to bring a bunch of UDFA/Dleague shooters into camp and the one who can play NBA defense makes the team. If none of them can play NBA defense, leave the roster spot open and develop the ones we like most in Santa Cruz.

The Warriors can't afford to be that comfortable. The 2015 version is going to be hard pressed to win a 2016 title with San Antonio, OKC, Houston, LAC, and Cleveland lurking. It isn't a question of the old gang staying together and just showing up to win another title.

Are you saying we can't win a championship this year as currently constructed or that the strategy is bad? This is basically the same route we took with our roster last year. We left 1 roster spot open because nobody earned the job. Looked into vet FA as they were bought out / released mid season, and finally just used the roster spot to sign McAdoo for the remainder of the year. I have no issue with using this strategy again.

What i don't want to do is trade defenders for poor defenders.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#13 » by Laimbeer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:30 pm

azwfan wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Are you saying we can't win a championship this year as currently constructed or that the strategy is bad? This is basically the same route we took with our roster last year. We left 1 roster spot open because nobody earned the job. Looked into vet FA as they were bought out / released mid season, and finally just used the roster spot to sign McAdoo for the remainder of the year. I have no issue with using this strategy again.

Of course they can, but I don't believe they're even the favorites at this point. Refusing to trade assets, particularly young assets, to improve the team may not be wise.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#14 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Of course they can, but I don't believe they're even the favorites at this point. Refusing to trade assets, particularly young assets, to improve the team may not be wise.

Not sure what young assets we're trading to get better. All i've seen here is Jason Thompson for Channing Frye. I dont think that makes us better. If you got a deal where we're trading Looney and Barbosa for a stud SG, i'm all ears.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#15 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:16 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what type of "trade young assets" are you suggesting? Illustrating this in the form of an actual deal would be helpful.....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#16 » by lakerhater » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:26 pm

old rem wrote:

the deal has no chance from the GSW POV.. and the MONEY...Contract is the key. GSW has pretty nice depth at 4+5 now. The JT deal has aa small guarantee next year. While Frye was a better 3 guy.. that's not a big need for GSW..and he would not have the minutes to matter.

I agree, the contract makes it a no go for GSW but the OP asked for opinions based upon on court performance so I refrained from bringing that aspect up in my post.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#17 » by lakerhater » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
azwfan wrote:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what type of "trade young assets" are you suggesting? Illustrating this in the form of an actual deal would be helpful.....

Has me curious too. What deals did GSW miss out on Laimbeer?
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#18 » by Warriorfan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:00 am

The warrior offense starts with defense and scoring in transition. Bogut and Ezelli both have an injury history so Thompson able to provide post D as 4th string after those two is more of a plus.

I don't see Frye being able to guard multiple positions or even his primary PF very well.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#19 » by Laimbeer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:04 am

lakerhater wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

I'm not privy to any particular deals available. I was responding to a Warrior fan who commented:

I think we can use a knock down shooter... preferably a combo guard, but SG/SF would work also. We dont really have any assets i'm willing to give up to get this mystery person.

Looney, Ezeli should be readily available. Nothing earth shattering.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#20 » by lakerhater » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 am

Laimbeer wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:I'm almost afraid to ask, but what type of "trade young assets" are you suggesting? Illustrating this in the form of an actual deal would be helpful.....

I'm not privy to any particular deals available. I was responding to a Warrior fan who commented:

I think we can use a knock down shooter... preferably a combo guard, but SG/SF would work also. We dont really have any assets i'm willing to give up to get this mystery person.

Looney, Ezeli should be readily available. Nothing earth shattering.

Non-earth shattering moves probably won't make or break GSW's FO wisdom score.

That being said I'm ok with dealing Ezeli and Looney for the mystery player since both have or have had injury issues.

Return to Trades and Transactions