Boston/Minnesota/Phoenix

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Boston/Minnesota/Phoenix 

Post#21 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Seems odd for a guy who made winning plays to have his team be over 6 points per 100 better when he's on the bench.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Turner made game winning plays. It's not about talent-- they all have talent. It's about production, and Turner does what it takes to win games. Everyone hates him except people like me who have a single-minded almost pathological love of winning. I don't care about stats, style points, PER or any of that extraneous noise.

Except, looking at him with no bias, Turner should be a guy you despise. He loses his teams game more than he wins them.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#23 » by old rem » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Note30 wrote:No way the Wolves do this.
Huh? the Wolves do okay..Boston gets hosed.
CENSORED... No comment.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#24 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:41 pm

bondom34 wrote:Seems odd for a guy who made winning plays to have his team be over 6 points per 100 better when he's on the bench.

He plays against the other team's first unit. He made at least three huge plays to win games during the second half last year, and hit another big shot to send a game into overtime against the Wizards (which the Celtics everntually lost).
His career stats, or what he did in Philly or Indiana, are irrelevant.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#25 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Seems odd for a guy who made winning plays to have his team be over 6 points per 100 better when he's on the bench.

He plays against the other team's first unit. He made at least three huge plays to win games during the second half last year, and hit another big shot to send a game into overtime against the Wizards (which the Celtics everntually lost).
His career stats, or what he did in Philly or Indiana, are irrelevant.

I can literally say the same thing about Dion Waiters.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#26 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:56 pm

I don't like this for Phx. Sullinger isn't a good fit on the Suns.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:His career stats, or what he did in Philly or Indiana, are irrelevant.

It's immensely relevant when he's being pitched in trades to other teams.
MNRunLeft
Starter
And1: 362

Post#28 » by MNRunLeft » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Yeah the Wolves don't consider this. Maybe if Dieng was included, and sent to the Celtics, instead.

Unless I'm mistaken Minny LOVES Dieng.

After drafting Towns, I suspect that they are higher on Shabazz. In any event, I'm not sure the Wolves should be taking Markieff on such a young roster.

Sounds like the Wolves were getting calls about Deing on draft night and weren't interested in moving him. Wolves seem content with the pieces they have in place outside of potentially moving Bennett.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#29 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:His career stats, or what he did in Philly or Indiana, are irrelevant.

Yes, which is why, like Sullinger, Turner's basketball value is substantially higher than his trader value. It makes the most sense to keep those kind of players.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yes, which is why, like Sullinger, Turner's basketball value is substantially higher than his trader value. It makes the most sense to keep those kind of players.

I agree. If Boston can eke anything out of Turner, that alone is immensely more worthwhile than anything Turner could, and should, net in trade.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#31 » by Xman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Shabazz worth a lot more to Minny than Morris and Turner.

Minny loves:
Rubio at pg
Wiggins at sg/sf
Shabazz at sf
Towns at pf/c
Dieng at C
Garnett - just because he is KG

Not in love with:
KMart
Pekovic
Bennett
AMiller

Some like for:
Payne
Lavine
Tyus Jones

Personally, I think they need a guy like Porzingis to groom at pf and they are set for the next few years. But, right now they are developing a bunch of guys (Wiggins/Shabazz/Dieng/Tyus/Lavine/Payne/Bennett/Towns), letting some heal (Pek), and hoping vets can contribute (KMart/Rubio).

Due to their own high draft spots and the wealth CLE gave for KLove, they are talent rich on rookie contracts. They are where Philly wishes it was (except Philly would not have KMart, Rubio and Pek).

Minny dream trade is to ship quantity like KMart/Bennett/Pek and possibly others (AMiller/LaVine/Tyus/Payne) for a quality young player or two (Russell/Randle/Noel/Porzingis/Jabari/Oladipo) or even a veteran stud (Beal/Horford/etc.) But, those deals are hard to make. I think they are in the wait another year mode: let KG play a little while young guys develop and figure out exactly what they have with Dieng/Pek/Shabazz. Then, next off season, KMarts' expiring, a top 12 pick, and a couple of the young guys might get them another stud.
Or, maybe at the trade deadline, LA or NY decide to make a push and give up a stud (Porzingis/Russell/Randle) to make it happen. I know that is unlikely - but it would be interesting.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#32 » by pacers33granger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 pm

4 full years of data is certainly relevant, especially when the rest of the data is his lone year with Boston. The only real difference in his numbers from last year and every year prior is that he assisted more and turned the ball over more. Everything else was right in line with his career stats.

He made some big shots for Philly and us too, but those were few and far between and he consistently gave up more than he produced. JR Smith has made some big plays in his career too, but that doesn't make him a winning player. You can't discount the other 47 minutes of the game.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#33 » by Smitty731 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:23 pm

I like Turner to an extent. His contract is fair and he was good for Boston last year. Especially once he took over as the de facto PG. But he's not a great trade asset or anything. He's just a decent player.

That said the difference in Muhammad and Turner isn't enough to offset the chasm between Sullinger and Bennett. Sullinger, while far from great, has proven to be a useful NBA player. Bennett hasn't proven he has any NBA future at all.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,812

Post#34 » by Saberestar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't like it for the Suns.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,125

Post#35 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:04 pm

pacers33granger wrote:

4 full years of data is certainly relevant, especially when the rest of the data is his lone year with Boston. The only real difference in his numbers from last year and every year prior is that he assisted more and turned the ball over more. Everything else was right in line with his career stats.

He made some big shots for Philly and us too, but those were few and far between and he consistently gave up more than he produced. JR Smith has made some big plays in his career too, but that doesn't make him a winning player. You can't discount the other 47 minutes of the game.

Enough about Game 6 already we're trying to get over it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Post#36 » by RealityIsDemar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Really, really, really, really, really, realllllllllllly bad for the Wolves.
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#37 » by NashtyNas » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 am

So the C's give up the least value and get the most?
How is Shabazz going to Boston and not Phoenix? Makes very little sense.

Regardless, Minny doesn't touch it.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#38 » by KGboss » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:43 pm

This doesnt solve any issues for Boston. We have a huge log jam at PF right now, and I like Shabazz more than Turner, but I don't see Boston taking back both Shabazz and Bennett if we are giving up Sully and Turner.

Just doesnt solve anything for us and thats my real issue here, i dont think this conversation ever really begins.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#39 » by AQuintus » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:48 pm

jbk1234 wrote:After drafting Towns, I suspect that they are higher on Shabazz.

Minnesota is high on both. Dieng will be Towns' backup at C, and Shabazz will be Wiggins' backup at SF. There's no reason to trade either, especially not for a couple of headcases.

Return to Trades and Transactions