Trade value of Carmelo Anthony?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

rein08
Senior
And1: 18

Trade value of Carmelo Anthony? 

Post#1 » by rein08 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:33 am

At 31 years of age and a recent injury, time is essentially not in the side of one Carmelo Anthony. He's not gonna be going anywhere with the roster that Phil built around him this offseason. But, his deal(and his NTC) could be a big problem in any trade talks. If he wants to win that elusive championship, he must man up and decide to leave New York. He is still a great player in this league, so some teams could still look at him as a vital piece of that enormous championship puzzle. Which team could (or should) trade for Carmelo?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Trade value of Carmelo Anthony? 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 am

More than most here would admit, but I don't see a fit for him right now.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#3 » by Sportfan73 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:44 am

Philly for Okafor if they in some crazy world got Durant. Durant and Melo at 3-4 with Noel at 5
rein08
Senior

Post#4 » by rein08 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:44 am

bondom34 wrote:More than most here would admit, but I don't see a fit for him right now.

How about Orlando? They have the pieces for a trade, and only Oladipo, Tobias Harris, and Vucevic are untouchables
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#5 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:49 am

rein08 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:More than most here would admit, but I don't see a fit for him right now.

How about Orlando? They have the pieces for a trade, and only Oladipo, Tobias Harris, and Vucevic are untouchables

I don't know why they'd want him.

I doubt he waives his NTC for them.

Nothing else is worth Melo.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Post#6 » by RealityIsDemar » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:30 am

Kinda tough to imagine because it's hard to find a logical spot for him to be moved to.
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#7 » by damecurry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:42 am

bondom34 wrote:
rein08 wrote:

payton, herzonja, porzingis, intriguing, well fitting young core imo. With some other minor incentive and filler that's a fair deal for melo.
But you are right he doesn't waive for this situation, no way.
I also agree there isn't a great fit out there. Not sure who wants him and has pieces to get him.
rein08
Senior

Post#8 » by rein08 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:49 am

damecurry wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
rein08 wrote:

payton, herzonja, porzingis, intriguing, well fitting young core imo. With some other minor incentive and filler that's a fair deal for melo.
But you are right he doesn't waive for this situation, no way.
I also agree there isn't a great fit out there. Not sure who wants him and has pieces to get him.

Frye, Aaron Gordon, Nicholson, Fournier, and Marble for Melo works financially
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#9 » by stitches » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:06 am

No young rebuilding team will give up their young pieces for Melo simply because that would leave them with Melo and nothing else around him. And Melo would probably not waive his trade clause for such a team. NYK also are less likely to be willing to do it this year because they don't own their pick and don't have any incentive to be bad this year. Also, don't forget that the team trading for Melo would have to have enough salaries and assets to send back to make the trade possible.

I can see Chicago doing some trade around trade deadline, they have salaries they can send back and they have some assets and young pieces, but again - NYK would need to probably be willing to take less than what Melo is worth.

I can see an offer of this sort for example:
-Mirotic+Taj+filler + Sacramento's 2016 first round pick + Chicago first round pick(or two of them?)

I don't know if NYK would do that, but I find it fair if they want to start over and rebuild properly. It gives them two first round picks and one exciting young prospect. Maybe it looks thin on the surface, but you also have to realize that Melo is in his 30s, coming off a knee surgery and on a 25M contract, so I doubt many teams would offer much more.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#10 » by Village Idiot » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:57 am

I don't a mutual interest between the Knicks and a whole lot of other teams. Could Miami be such a team?

Miami trades:

Justice Winslow
Luol Deng
Chris Anderson
Udonis Haslem

Miami receives:

Carmelo Anthony

Miami goes all i while Wade is around. Their starting line-up is a match for Cleveland.

New York trades:

Carmelo Anthony

New York receives:

Justice Winslow
Luol Deng
Chris Anderson
Udonis Haslem

minimum salary contracts will have to be added from the Knicks once they become unencumbered. The Knicks get expring contract and a very nice young prospect in Justice Winslow. They can flip Deng to a playoff team later.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#11 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:02 am

bondom34 wrote:More than most here would admit

Pretty much. A lot of tread milling or close to it teams that would love to trade for melo. A lot of fans tend to overvalue average assets, e.g. mid firsts.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#12 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:08 am

Melo is hard to move - both because he's difficult to build around and because i imagine he only wants to go to a major market.

Still, a few teams come to mind:

Utah. Melo is very effective playing the PF spot and i personally dont think that the Favors-Gobert duo is going to work on the offensive end. Maybe a Melo+Calderon for Favors+Burks deal could be worked out. The Jazz have cap space to do that deal and would be able to run with a super-dangerous Hayward-Melo-Gobert frontcourt as well as good depth in the backcourt. Next season Exum is back and they'd have plenty of cap space to chase a top-shelf SG to round out the team. For NY, they get an extra 10M in cap space next summer and add a few young studs to the rebuilding process. Melo wouldn't go to Utah, though.

New Orleans Pelicans. With Asik+AD they should have the defensive back-bone they need to be effective, so what they could do is to try and go all-in and move Ryan Anderson and Tyreke Evans for Melo. With Melo, i think NO can be very dangerous both by playing him at the 3 or by going small and playing him at the 4 alongside AD and i think Alvin Gentry is the right coach for that team. Of course, a lot depend on the health of Jrue and Gordon, and that doesn't change, but Melo would be a massive upgrade. Again, NY get younger and can rebuild. Melo wouldn't want to go here either.

Lakers. Personally, i dont think we have the team in place that would fit around a guy like Melo, but if Hibbert work out well this season and is resigned as the defensive anchor, then i suppose Melo could be an ok fit at the 3. But i dont think i'd want us to give up anything to get him, though.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#13 » by MotownMadness » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:17 am

It's hard to match salaries without gutting your roster and also giving back some sort of value to the Knicks. Only thing I could get to work is

KCP, Jennings, Morris and Meeks
For
Melo

And then that leaves us with no depth and a trade NY wouldn't want anyways.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#14 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:48 am

MotownMadness wrote:It's hard to match salaries without gutting your roster and also giving back some sort of value to the Knicks. Only thing I could get to work is

KCP, Jennings, Morris and Meeks
For
Melo

And then that leaves us with no depth and a trade NY wouldn't want anyways.

Detroit would be a nice destination for him, i think. Illyasova, Jennings and Morris to NY for Melo.

Jackson - Meeks - Johnson - Melo - Drummond.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#15 » by 165bows » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:55 am

Boston's a pretty obvious fit. They could overpay for him if they really wanted to make it happen, or hold a low offer and see if anyone can beat it. It's close enough he wouldn't even need to move, so the NTC part of it would help. A primary scoring option at the three spot is the team's primary need.

They could offer a lotto pick this year, return David Lee to NY, and add in some younger role guys to flesh it out. Either Sullinger or Olynyk fit as a passing big, with some mix of Bradley, Turner, James Young, etc. Could even add in future picks but I probably wouldn't.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:39 pm

rein08 wrote:

As an Orlando fan, no one we have is untouchable. That said, a 31 yr old Melo isnt the answer. With the players that would have to be moved to get him (both for trade value and $$ balance), the team would not be competitive and would not be set up for the future.
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,123

Post#17 » by NBADraft2003 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Village Idiot wrote:I don't a mutual interest between the Knicks and a whole lot of other teams. Could Miami be such a team?

Miami trades:

Justice Winslow
Luol Deng
Chris Anderson
Udonis Haslem

Miami receives:

Carmelo Anthony

Miami goes all i while Wade is around. Their starting line-up is a match for Cleveland.

New York trades:

Carmelo Anthony

New York receives:

Justice Winslow
Luol Deng
Chris Anderson
Udonis Haslem

minimum salary contracts will have to be added from the Knicks once they become unencumbered. The Knicks get expring contract and a very nice young prospect in Justice Winslow. They can flip Deng to a playoff team later.

No.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:13 pm

NBADraft2003 wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:I don't a mutual interest between the Knicks and a whole lot of other teams. Could Miami be such a team?

Miami trades:

Justice Winslow
Luol Deng
Chris Anderson
Udonis Haslem

Miami receives:

Carmelo Anthony

New York trades:

Carmelo Anthony

New York receives:

Justice Winslow
Luol Deng
Chris Anderson
Udonis Haslem

No.

What's the "no"? I mean, Winslow is a tough piece to give up, and he fell right in your lap. I get it. But if you could turn him, and the other lesser valued pieces on the roster into Carmelo, a guy that could play the 3/4 for you, you wouldn't at least consider it?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:15 pm

I could still see something being worked out with the Raptors. Musai should call Durant's agent ahead of the draft and see if they're even getting a meeting. If, as most people suspect, they aren't, then they should look at trading the Knicks pick back to them and starting the discussion there.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I could still see something being worked out with the Raptors. Musai should call Durant's agent ahead of the draft and see if they're even getting a meeting. If, as most people suspect, they aren't, then they should look at trading the Knicks pick back to them and starting the discussion there.

Depending on where that pick ends up, this makes sense. It could be as simple as Patterson/worse of Denver/NYK pick swap for Melo, with Toronto have cap space to absorb the difference, and they could keep Demar's cap hold on the books, too. Melo/Carroll would be a really interesting forward combo.

Return to Trades and Transactions