Jeff Withey, Jazz agree to two-year, partially guaranteed deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Jeff Withey, Jazz agree to two-year, partially guaranteed deal 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:10 pm

Jeff Withey and the Utah Jazz have agreed to a two-year, partially guaranteed deal.

Withey has a strong chance of making Utah's opening night roster as they currently have just 13 guaranteed contracts.

Withey's deal includes a team option in the second year.

Withey has played his first two seasons in the NBA with the New Orleans Pelicans.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/239080/Jeff-Withey-Agrees-To-Two-Year-Deal-With-Jazz
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Re: Jeff Withey, Jazz agree to two-year, partially guaranteed deal 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Team option too? Could be a steal if it is for the minimum. Guy has some defensive potential and is as budget for a decent deep big as it can get.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#3 » by Golabki » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Love the signing - list pretty young and has put up decent numbers in limited action.

Good gamble by a smart team.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:19 pm

Agreed - good signing and surprised he didn't do a bit better if it's the minimum. At least have the second year guaranteed.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#5 » by stitches » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:38 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/635944781944762368[/tweet]

It could be a contract to just secure him for training camp. We have about 19 players on the roster already. Somebody has got to get cut.

Exum, Neto, Burke, Cotton
Burks, Hood, Millsap, Graham
Hayward, Ingles, Johnson, O'Brien
Favors, Booker, Lyles, Jerrett
Gobert, Pleiss, Withey, Cooley

Jerrett's guaranteed for about 900K.
Withey guaranteed for 200K
Graham guaranteed for 75K
O'Brien guaranteed for 75K
Cotton, Millsap, Johnson and Cooley are non guaranteeds but the Jazz seem to absolutely love Millsap, so I doubt he gets cut.

I think Exum, Neto, Burke, Burks, Hood, Millsap, Hayward, Ingles, Favors, Booker, Lyles, Gobert and Pleiss are certain to be on the roster. That's 13 players.

Cotton, Graham, Johnson, O'Brien, Jerrett, Withey, Cooley are fighting quite possibly for 1 or 2 spots.
NOLA Glasses
Senior
And1: 131

Post#6 » by NOLA Glasses » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:18 am

The concept of Withey (relatively athletic shot blocker who can catch a ball) is much more exciting than the results. He's a really good guy so I hope it works out for him, but he needs to master something and not just be 'eh' at everything.
New Orleans love.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#7 » by blind prophet » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:52 am

stitches wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/635944781944762368[/tweet]

It could be a contract to just secure him for training camp. We have about 19 players on the roster already. Somebody has got to get cut.

Exum, Neto, Burke, Cotton
Burks, Hood, Millsap, Graham
Hayward, Ingles, Johnson, O'Brien
Favors, Booker, Lyles, Jerrett
Gobert, Pleiss, Withey, Cooley

Jerrett's guaranteed for about 900K.
Withey guaranteed for 200K
Graham guaranteed for 75K
O'Brien guaranteed for 75K
Cotton, Millsap, Johnson and Cooley are non guaranteeds but the Jazz seem to absolutely love Millsap, so I doubt he gets cut.

I think Exum, Neto, Burke, Burks, Hood, Millsap, Hayward, Ingles, Favors, Booker, Lyles, Gobert and Pleiss are certain to be on the roster. That's 13 players.

Cotton, Graham, Johnson, O'Brien, Jerrett, Withey, Cooley are fighting quite possibly for 1 or 2 spots.

You should be able to deal him for a second to a team in need later if need be. Even if he never suits up I'd keep him around.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:28 am

Man, I REAAAAAAALLLLY wanted him in Indy this summer. Especially at this price. Just seems like a great guy to have as your developmental 3rd center/situational rim protecting big man.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:02 pm

NOLA Glasses wrote:The concept of Withey (relatively athletic shot blocker who can catch a ball) is much more exciting than the results. He's a really good guy so I hope it works out for him, but he needs to master something and not just be 'eh' at everything.

yeah this is kinda how I feel. I loved his game at Kansas and really expected it to translate to at least being a respectable 3rd center on a team and maybe even a solid backup 5. But nothing I have seen from him at the NBA level to this point makes me think this is going to amount to much.

He has a decent shot to make the Jazz despite them having 19 guys under contract, I believe only 13 of them have gtd money, so one of those guys will now have to outplay him since he does have a small gtd. And I definitely think he's worth a roster spot on a team still trying to build from within. I just don't expect anything from him.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#10 » by Smitty731 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Considering the only other true C on the roster after Gobert is Pleiss, this is a solid signing. If Withey can stick, he's fine as a third C on a minimum contract.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:45 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Considering the only other true C on the roster after Gobert is Pleiss, this is a solid signing. If Withey can stick, he's fine as a third C on a minimum contract.

probably some Favors/Booker and/or Favors/Lyles frontcourts at some point too
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Withey is a player I scratch my head about - Why did he last till mid 2nd round, why does he barely get on the court, why does he have to settle for a (relatively speaking) chump change contract. Yeah, he could use a little more muscle, but the guy's a legit center who can play well at both ends of the floor. Dude needs a publicist or a good agent.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#13 » by Catchall » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Nice bench player behind Gobert and insurance in case Pleiss isn't all they hope. This may be a sign that the Jazz are passing on Jerrett. If Lyles can hit some 3s, Jerrett becomes a non-factor. I don't see space for Cooley unless Withey bombs out.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Trades and Transactions