Trade Deadline Suggestion Mavs-Cavs-Blazers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Trade Deadline Suggestion Mavs-Cavs-Blazers 

Post#1 » by Blazers20 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:57 pm

help bolster the Cavs and Mavs prior to making a playoff push and playoff positioning.

Mavs get Al Faroq Aminu and Ed Davis
Cavs get Chris Kaman and Gerald Henderson
Blazers get expiring contracts and multiple 1st round and 2nd round picks from both teams.

Helps Mavs and Cavs depth. Gives Cavs more scoring from the 2 and 5. Helps Mavs shore up defense and provided help off the bench.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Re: Trade Deadline Suggestion Mavs-Cavs-Blazers 

Post#2 » by Blazers20 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Unprotected picks.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:08 pm

The Cavs pass easily. Kaman would be behind Mozgov, Love, TT, AV, and Kaun on the Cavs depth chart. We are in the luxury tax so we wouldn't take him for free. Henderson is a nice player but we are set at guard and he's a rental.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:49 pm

yeah no one is ever giving up unprotected picks for these players much less multiple ones.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:52 pm

Aminu for a 1st makes sense.

If we could get a 1st for Henderson, we would've probably done that 2-3 years ago.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#6 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:59 pm

Blazers20, I hate to say it but this is poorly thought through for several reasons.

First of all, it's impossible to evaluate without actually trying to spell out which picks are being sent. Teams rarely send out unprotected picks these days. I get that sometimes it makes more sense to leave it ambiguous in order to foster discussion, but if you are posting under that guise you should be a little more obvious (I will admit, the inspiration of this trade makes some sense, as both Dallas and Cleveland look to be buyers early in the season.) Secondly, your trades are completely illegal in terms of the necessary salary matching. Neither of those teams have the kind of large, useless expiring contracts needed to take on the players you have them taking on. If we bring it into the real world of salary matching, this trade quickly becomes totally unworkable.

From Cleveland, there was just a recent trade between our teams. If they were willing to give enough picks to get Henderson/Kaman then it would have been included in the Haywood deal, since they would have been able to use the 125% rule to take them back. As it is, their TPE's cannot take in both those players and they don't have the useless expirings that it would require.

From Dallas, they are kind of in an odd place. They really REALLY cannot afford to give up unprotected picks, because that team is on a razor edge right now. A couple things go wrong and they could be a bottom team. They also didn't resign Aminu this summer so turning around and trading some significant value for him would be a real head-scratcher. Even if him and Davis were worth significant value, which could be questionable because neither appear to be on a steal of a contract. Again, Dallas doesn't have the right useless expiring contracts to even make this trade legal.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by Blazers20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:35 am

This scenario is based on need at the trade deadline. Mavs look to be in a win now mode because of Dirks age and they could be a sleeper if Matthews and Parsons are healthy and a revitalized DWill shows up this season. And can the Cavs really rely on the health of the team? Historically the players on this team aren't healthy (Love and Kyrie) and last year scoring was an issue for this team and Kaman and Henderson can bring that off the bench. Probably more reliable than what they have now coming off of their bench.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Blazers20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:42 am

Cleveland pick would be a late first and Dallas would be mid 1st round. Dallas gave their 1st round pick away to Boston (Olynyk) in 2014 and I wonder if they really covet draft picks in the middle of the 1st round? Cavs are a win now mode as well and I don't think draft picks are what they are focusing on versus making sure they have a good supporting cast for LeBron.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:52 am

Blazers20 wrote:Cleveland pick would be a late first and Dallas would be mid 1st round. Dallas gave their 1st round pick away to Boston (Olynyk) in 2014 and I wonder if they really covet draft picks in the middle of the 1st round? Cavs are a win now mode as well and I don't think draft picks are what they are focusing on versus making sure they have a good supporting cast for LeBron.

The Cavs would have to be so riddled with injuries to need Kaman that the postseason would be shot. I do like Henderson but he's expiring and you're talking about a half season of an average SG for an unprotected first. If you want to take a look at J. Harris for Henderson, that's a conversation worth having. But we aren't trading the 2018 1st for a half-season rental of Hendo.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by Blazers20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:52 am

Would the Cavs rent Henderson for half a season if it meant winning a championship?
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#11 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:05 am

Henderson is not the guy Cavs need to pick up to add a difference maker for the playoffs
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,531

Post#12 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Blazers20 wrote:Would the Cavs rent Henderson for half a season if it meant winning a championship?

Would anyone ever convince themselves of that?
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Blazers20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:22 pm

I guess you can look at two ways, bolster benches and salvage the season. How much value is a late 1st round pick to a team to over the cap?
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Blazers20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Cavs already starting the season missing a 20ppg player. Who knows how healthy Irving will be once he comes back.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by Blazers20 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:26 pm

The Cavs were riddled with injuries during the finals.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Blazers20 wrote:Would the Cavs rent Henderson for half a season if it meant winning a championship?

Sure. We'll trade you a conditional draft pick. If we win a championship and if Henderson plays significant minutes in the post season, then you get an unprotected first in 2018. If either of those things doesn't happen, you get the next available second round pick.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,250

Post#17 » by mademan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Blazers20 wrote:I guess you can look at two ways, bolster benches and salvage the season. How much value is a late 1st round pick to a team to over the cap?

Bolster the bench how? Kaman will average 3 mpg with that FC they have. Henderson will get what..maybe 15 mpg? Both will be inconsequential on the Cavs.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#18 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 pm

mademan wrote:
Blazers20 wrote:I guess you can look at two ways, bolster benches and salvage the season. How much value is a late 1st round pick to a team to over the cap?

Bolster the bench how? Kaman will average 3 mpg with that FC they have. Henderson will get what..maybe 15 mpg? Both will be inconsequential on the Cavs.

Arguably, so is the Cav's 1st round pick. Especially if you are trying to win now. It's also kind of funny to see Cav fans discounting the importance of depth considering what happened to the end of their season.

Not to say this deal makes sense (I've already spit my bit on that), but those are not the reasons it doesn't make sense.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#19 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:09 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
mademan wrote:

Arguably, so is the Cav's 1st round pick. Especially if you are trying to win now. It's also kind of funny to see Cav fans discounting the importance of depth considering what happened to the end of their season.

Not to say this deal makes sense (I've already spit my bit on that), but those are not the reasons it doesn't make sense.

Cavs can find some better players, better role players for a first round pick. If the Cavs were forced to keep that 1st rounder or trade for Kaman and Hendo, it would merit some discussion for depth but they can do better. No need to make a trade just to make one.

A guy like Ed Davis would be a huge add but it wouldn't be worth it for Portland in that case.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,250

Post#20 » by mademan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:20 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
mademan wrote:

But that 1st can be used in a trade later on that could potentially return someone they can use. Not so much with Hendo/Kaman

Return to Trades and Transactions