Small Grizzlies/Mavs deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Small Grizzlies/Mavs deal 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Vince Carter

for

Ray Felton

Why for Memphis? Vince hasn't been the player they hoped they were getting. And if he isn't hitting shots he is of no use to them and his shooting stunk last year. Enter Ray Felton. Yeah Felton is a worse player than Vince, but he can serve as an emergency 3rd PG plus it gets them out of the $$$ gtd to Vince next year.

Why for Dallas? Vince was awful last year, but obviously they give up nothing(Felton) to get him. They are desperate for wing depth with both starters coming off of major injury. He's just more useful than Ray in terms of position of need and they take on his gte for next year as incentive for Memphis to swap them. Plus even if he sucks Dirk and Cuban both love the guy.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Re: Small Grizzlies/Mavs deal 

Post#2 » by I Am Awesome-O » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Russ Smith is firmly entrenched in Memphis' 3rd point guard spot.

Would much rather keep Carter.
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#3 » by nba2k16 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Why is Felton's value to Memphis a 3rd emergency guard but to Dallas it's nothing?
Texas Chuck

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:01 pm

nba2k16 wrote:Why is Felton's value to Memphis a 3rd emergency guard but to Dallas it's nothing?

We already have 3 veteran PG's in Deron, Devin, and JJ. They just have Conley and Udrih. Just like Vince has more value to Dallas because we have two injured starters and no quality wing depth behind them while they have Barnes, Lee, Allen, Green, Adams.

But most of the value here for Memphis is saving money on Vince's deal. They save a little this year and they clear the $2M in gtd money for next year. In an ideal world neither Vince nor Felton sees meaningful minutes for Memphis this year. But they could use an extra PG a little more than Vince.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#5 » by nba2k16 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:Why is Felton's value to Memphis a 3rd emergency guard but to Dallas it's nothing?

We already have 3 veteran PG's in Deron, Devin, and JJ. They just have Conley and Udrih. Just like Vince has more value to Dallas because we have two injured starters and no quality wing depth behind them while they have Barnes, Lee, Allen, Green, Adams.

But most of the value here for Memphis is saving money on Vince's deal. They save a little this year and they clear the $2M in gtd money for next year. In an ideal world neither Vince nor Felton sees meaningful minutes for Memphis this year. But they could use an extra PG a little more than Vince.

Fair enough. I see the value from Dallas' side, I see where you're coming from for Memphis but I am not sure they would do it. They are better off signing a 3rd guard in free agency, be it a young unknown player or a veteran who hasn't got the opportunity yet. While Carter hasn't performed that well, he still provides some decent depth to their wing that they wouldn't trade for a 3rd guard

I guess the level at which they value getting rid of guaranteed money next year depends on their plans. I don't see them going big after a group of big free agents and with the cap rising, I actually think Carter's gtd money next year isn't so bad for them and they will roll the dice with what they have
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,133

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 pm

I think that Swaggy P might be the only player who could be traded straight up for Felton.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#7 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:21 am

jbk1234 wrote:I think that Swaggy P might be the only player who could be traded straight up for Felton.

I'd trade Spencer Hawes for Felton
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:24 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think that Swaggy P might be the only player who could be traded straight up for Felton.

I'd trade Spencer Hawes for Felton

And I'd guess Memphis would trade Vince for Zaza, so success?

Obviously there are players who could be traded straight up for Felton if their contracts are worse(hence this deal)
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#9 » by loserX » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:13 am

I don't think Memphis does this straight up...but it could work as a leg of a 3-team deal where the third team prefers Felton's expiring to Carter's extra year.

Memphis trades Carter and a prospect for X
Dallas trades Felton's expiring for Carter
3rd team trades X for Felton's expiring and a prospect
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,536

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 pm

I like the basis.

Memphis could be sitting at around 61m in cap with Conleys cap hold, and look to add a max free agent next summer.

And Vince carter is kinda junk.

Return to Trades and Transactions