Trade Ideas For Harrison Barnes

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Re: Trade Ideas For Harrison Barnes 

Post#141 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:25 am

Is there a deal to be had with Barnes/Looney to the Raps for Ross/Johnson as the foundation? Add your tweak.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#142 » by righterwriter » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:13 am

Wouldn't mind something centered around TJ Warren and Alex Len. Would happily throw in Kevon Looney if it helps Phoenix to pull the trigger.
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#143 » by californiadude » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Yeah I do a trade for Korver in a heartbeat. And I'd probably at least seriously consider the majority of the deals offered. Just one GSW fans opinion but I'd rather recoup some assets now then risk losing him this summer. Especially because I really doubt we're going to miss those 10 points and five boards, and by bext year Looney will be able to replace Barnes at the 4.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#144 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Hornets Trade: MKG + Hawes
Hornets Receive: Gordon + Looney + Pelicans 1st
Many might say why would they trade recently extended MKG, I think to balance their roster, gamble on what Gordon can do in East with that lineup, dump Hawes suspect contract, and go all in on for HUGE max cap next offseason...is motivation to trade MKG.
Walker-Gordon-Batum-Zeller or Williams-Jefferson is nice Eastern conference lineup.

Pelicans Trade: Gordon + Pondexter + Future 1st + Cash
Pelicans Receive: Barnes + JT + Rush
Pelicans balance their roster with Barnes now their SFOF to pair with Brow.
Holiday-Evans-Barnes-Davis-Asik

GSW Trade: Barnes + JT + Looney + Rush
GSW Receive: MKG + Hawes + Pondexter (using TPE) + Cash
If any organization can teach MKG to shoot GSW with Kerr-Nash-Curry-Klay is the one to get it done. MKG defense in starting lineup while next to 2 great shooters and being locked into a value contract 4/52 (if he keeps improving) would set their lineup for many-many years. Hawes and Pondexter contracts are suspect but on ring chasing/winning team can provide more worth/value.
C: Bogut
F: Green
F: MKG
G: Klay
G: Curry
6: Iggy
B: Livingston, Hawes, Pondexter, Speights, Ezeli, Barbosa

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums mobile app
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#145 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:32 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:Hornets Trade: MKG + Hawes
Hornets Receive: Gordon + Looney + Pelicans 1st
Many might say why would they trade recently extended MKG, I think to balance their roster, gamble on what Gordon can do in East with that lineup, dump Hawes suspect contract, and go all in on for HUGE max cap next offseason...is motivation to trade MKG.
Walker-Gordon-Batum-Zeller or Williams-Jefferson is nice Eastern conference lineup.

Pelicans Trade: Gordon + Pondexter + Future 1st + Cash
Pelicans Receive: Barnes + JT + Rush
Pelicans balance their roster with Barnes now their SFOF to pair with Brow.
Holiday-Evans-Barnes-Davis-Asik

GSW Trade: Barnes + JT + Looney + Rush
GSW Receive: MKG + Hawes + Pondexter (using TPE) + Cash
If any organization can teach MKG to shoot GSW with Kerr-Nash-Curry-Klay is the one to get it done. MKG defense in starting lineup while next to 2 great shooters and being locked into a value contract 4/52 (if he keeps improving) would set their lineup for many-many years. Hawes and Pondexter contracts are suspect but on ring chasing/winning team can provide more worth/value.
C: Bogut
F: Green
F: MKG
G: Klay
G: Curry
6: Iggy
B: Livingston, Hawes, Pondexter, Speights, Ezeli, Barbosa

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums mobile app

Charlotte says no. The often injured Gordon, a late first and a hurt rookie won't get you MKG.

W's wouldn't want Pondexter and his slow healing knee that he made worse by playing injured in the playoffs. He may not even be ready to start the season.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#146 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 pm

righterwriter wrote:Wouldn't mind something centered around TJ Warren and Alex Len. Would happily throw in Kevon Looney if it helps Phoenix to pull the trigger.

yeah you aren't getting that for Barnes even with Looney.

Also, I can't believe some people are still under the impression that Korver only helps teams with his shooting. He's simply been too good for too long for anyone to be that ignorant about his game. He is a really good all-around player.

Oh and even if you only look at his shooting and his movement without the ball--you would see that he has a giant warping effect on defenses that essentially no other non-superstar has. Lots of great detailed posts about this on the PC board if you are curious/doubt me. That alone makes him extremely valuable. Then you add in his great size for a SG, his solid defense, his high IQ and its clear why he was a worthy all-star this year. Korver can flat play basketball.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#147 » by Onus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:08 pm

lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
Korver is only a shooter and doesn't defend or rebound as well as Barnes. For what GSW needs in their starting lineup I'd take Barnes over Korver 100 times out of 100.

Id take korver over Barnes easily. Korver wouldn't be able to play the stretch 4 role that Barnes does but we wouldn't need to play small because korver is so deadly shooting green would get 2v1 opportunities all game long otherwise teams would allow one of the best 3 point shooters get an open 3. It'd be game over with Kyle korver. Think about all the open 3s Barnes got, give those to korver then say good night.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Barnes shot 40.5% from three last season which is very good plus he gives you rebounding and multi position defending.

Korver is a great shooter but that's all he gives to a team.

W's have enough pure shooters as is.

Barnes shot 40.5 on 2 attempts per game, whereas Korver shot 6 per game at almost 50%. Korver is also a better team defender than Barnes is.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#148 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Wouldn't mind something centered around TJ Warren and Alex Len. Would happily throw in Kevon Looney if it helps Phoenix to pull the trigger.

yeah you aren't getting that for Barnes even with Looney.

Also, I can't believe some people are still under the impression that Korver only helps teams with his shooting. He's simply been too good for too long for anyone to be that ignorant about his game. He is a really good all-around player.

Oh and even if you only look at his shooting and his movement without the ball--you would see that he has a giant warping effect on defenses that essentially no other non-superstar has. Lots of great detailed posts about this on the PC board if you are curious/doubt me. That alone makes him extremely valuable. Then you add in his great size for a SG, his solid defense, his high IQ and its clear why he was a worthy all-star this year. Korver can flat play basketball.

His D is average at best and his entire offensive game is based on his great shooting. As you mentioned he's a SG and not a SF who can also guard opposing PFs. If GSW needed a Klay Thompson replacement then Korver to the W's would make perfect sense.

You're on the money about that Warren/Len offer. No chance the Suns do that, Len has way too much potential as an impact defensive big and Phoenix wants to keep him.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#149 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:30 pm

Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:Id take korver over Barnes easily. Korver wouldn't be able to play the stretch 4 role that Barnes does but we wouldn't need to play small because korver is so deadly shooting green would get 2v1 opportunities all game long otherwise teams would allow one of the best 3 point shooters get an open 3. It'd be game over with Kyle korver. Think about all the open 3s Barnes got, give those to korver then say good night.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Barnes shot 40.5% from three last season which is very good plus he gives you rebounding and multi position defending.

Barnes shot 40.5 on 2 attempts per game, whereas Korver shot 6 per game at almost 50%. Korver is also a better team defender than Barnes is.

Korver is not a better defender in any respect than Barnes. I know KK has improved as a perimeter defender over the years and can be pesky using his hands as a help defender but do you really think he can guard PFs on a regular basis? That's just asking him to do something he's physically not capable of doing but is something that has become essential to the W's team D schemes.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#150 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:31 pm

lakerhater wrote:
His D is average at best and his entire offensive game is based on his great shooting. As you mentioned he's a SG and not a SF who can also guard opposing PFs. If GSW needed a Klay Thompson replacement then Korver to the W's would make perfect sense.

His D is better than average imo and by a number of metrics. And yes his shooting is the foundation of his entire offensive game, but the impact goes far beyond just shooting. He is perhaps the best current player in moving without the ball--think Reggie Miller/Ray Allen type movement and because he is such a lethal shooter with such a quick release, he totally destroys defensive rotations and creates all kind of space for his teammates. His impact offensively is immense.

As far as his fit on the Warriors I offered no comment. I was merely taking issue with those dismissing him because he's "just a shooter" something he clearly isn't, but even if you only look at his shooting/movement and the impact he creates he's an enormous difference maker. If the Warriors have a larger need for someone with the ability to play 3/4 especially defensively--well that's a whole different matter and I will obviously default to those who know the Warriors' needs better than me.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#151 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

His D is better than average imo and by a number of metrics. And yes his shooting is the foundation of his entire offensive game, but the impact goes far beyond just shooting. He is perhaps the best current player in moving without the ball--think Reggie Miller/Ray Allen type movement and because he is such a lethal shooter with such a quick release, he totally destroys defensive rotations and creates all kind of space for his teammates. His impact offensively is immense.

As far as his fit on the Warriors I offered no comment. I was merely taking issue with those dismissing him because he's "just a shooter" something he clearly isn't, but even if you only look at his shooting/movement and the impact he creates he's an enormous difference maker. If the Warriors have a larger need for someone with the ability to play 3/4 especially defensively--well that's a whole different matter and I will obviously default to those who know the Warriors' needs better than me.

Thompson does the off ball stuff you're referring to quite well already for GSW and really there's only room for one of those types of players in the W's starting lineup. Having a versatile SF who can guard PFs is a much better complement to the Curry/Thompson back court as opposed to putting 2 SGs with similar styles in the starting lineup.
Onus
RealGM

Post#152 » by Onus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:58 pm

lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

Korver is not a better defender in any respect than Barnes. I know KK has improved as a perimeter defender over the years and can be pesky using his hands as a help defender but do you really think he can guard PFs on a regular basis? That's just asking him to do something he's physically not capable of doing but is something that has become essential to the W's team D schemes.

We wouldn't need to use Korver to guard 4s, because our offense wouldn't grind to a halt with 3 of the best shooters of all time spreading the floor. With Steph, Klay, Korver on the floor, Draymond and Bogut will get 2v1 opportunities all game long, otherwise the defense will let one of the 3 best shooters ever shoot open 3s. Yea Korver won't need to guard 4s because the starting unit won't be going through large chunks of scoring droughts because Barnes doesn't want to shoot open/slightly contested jumpers. There's more than one way to win. The only reason we had to downsize is because Barnes sucks as a 3.
Onus
RealGM

Post#153 » by Onus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:00 pm

lakerhater wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

Thompson does the off ball stuff you're referring to quite well already for GSW and really there's only room for one of those types of players in the W's starting lineup. Having a versatile SF who can guard PFs is a much better complement to the Curry/Thompson back court as opposed to putting 2 SGs with similar styles in the starting lineup.

This is not true at all.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#154 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:02 pm

Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:

This is not true at all.

Sure it is, GSW just won the title using that formula.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#155 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:

We wouldn't need to use Korver to guard 4s, because our offense wouldn't grind to a halt with 3 of the best shooters of all time spreading the floor. With Steph, Klay, Korver on the floor, Draymond and Bogut will get 2v1 opportunities all game long, otherwise the defense will let one of the 3 best shooters ever shoot open 3s. Yea Korver won't need to guard 4s because the starting unit won't be going through large chunks of scoring droughts because Barnes doesn't want to shoot open/slightly contested jumpers. There's more than one way to win. The only reason we had to downsize is because Barnes sucks as a 3.

I'll mark you down as being in favor of changing the W's championship level defensive system.
Onus
RealGM

Post#156 » by Onus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:13 pm

lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

This is not true at all.

Sure it is, GSW just won the title using that formula.

Just because they won one way doesn't mean they couldn't win in another ...
Onus
RealGM

Post#157 » by Onus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:15 pm

lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

I'll mark you down as being in favor of changing the W's championship level defensive system.

Except that Barnes isn't an impact defender or rebounder ...
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#158 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:

Barnes is a good rebounder. 7 rebounds per 36 minutes is fine for a SF. Korver is 4.5 per 36 and rarely grabs an offensive board which isn't so good not to mention Thompson is a below average rebounder for his size. A Thompson/Korver wing combo is weak in the rebounding category.
Onus
RealGM

Post#159 » by Onus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:16 pm

lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

Barnes is a good rebounder. 7 rebounds per 36 minutes is fine for a SF. Korver is 4.5 per 36 and rarely grabs an offensive board which isn't so good not to mention Thompson is a below average rebounder for his size. A Thompson/Korver wing combo is weak in the rebounding category.

Except Barnes got most of his rebounds when he got to play the 4, so his numbers are skewed. Look if you're going to look at 2.5 rebounds and say well Korver can't make that up, he can't guard 4s but you aren't willing to acknowledge that Korver is vastly superior offensive player at the 3 then there's no point in discussing this. Korver will not be playing the 4, he's not expected to do things that a 4 normally does. But as a 3, Korver is vastly superior. Sure the Warriors would need to find someone to come in and play back up 4 minutes, but really that's like 10-15 mpg and probably even less in the playoffs. But the bench wouldn't need to be as good because the starters would be that much better.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#160 » by lakerhater » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Onus wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
Onus wrote:

Except Barnes got most of his rebounds when he got to play the 4, so his numbers are skewed. Look if you're going to look at 2.5 rebounds and say well Korver can't make that up, he can't guard 4s but you aren't willing to acknowledge that Korver is vastly superior offensive player at the 3 then there's no point in discussing this. Korver will not be playing the 4, he's not expected to do things that a 4 normally does. But as a 3, Korver is vastly superior. Sure the Warriors would need to find someone to come in and play back up 4 minutes, but really that's like 10-15 mpg and probably even less in the playoffs. But the bench wouldn't need to be as good because the starters would be that much better.

Korver is a SG not a SF which is the crux of the issue for me. I'm not a fan of putting players out of position.

Return to Trades and Transactions