Deadline Deal : Knicks - Kings - Jazz

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Deadline Deal : Knicks - Kings - Jazz 

Post#1 » by swisscheeseD » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:16 am

***This deal is based on the premise that the drama in Sacramento has become the story of their season (they are out of the hunt), and that the Knicks and Jazz are right in the thick of things by the break.***

Knicks Trade : Jose Calderon, Jerian Grant, Cleanthony Early and a Future 2nd Round Pick
Knicks Receive : Rajon Rondo

Kings Trade : Rajon Rondo
Kings Receive : Jerian Grant, Trevor Booker and Cleanthony Early

Jazz Trade : Trevor Booker
Jazz Receive : Jose Calderon and a Future 2nd Round Pick (from the Knicks)

---

Why for NY?

While they like what they see so far out of Grant, Phil may feel that adding a player of Rondo's experience and talent level could elevate them to the next level. Porzingis is not the 2 year project people thought he would be and Melo certainly isn't getting any younger. They get to tryout Rondo (who is on a 1yr deal) for the 2nd half of a season in a playoff race with the potential of re-signing him in the offseason (or walking away should things not work out). They also shed Calderon's additional year off his contract (that likely would have been stretched by us anyway).

Why for Sac?

The Kings situation is sketchy at best. Should they implode on or off the court by the deadline, Rondo on a 1yr deal could become a likely candidate to be dealt. Bringing in Grant gives them a young asset that is cost-controlled and can help them in the event of another re-shaping / re-build. Booker expires and they can keep him, buy him out, or move him in another smaller deal as he serves as a decent big off the bench. And Cleanthony Early is another talented young swing who the Kings can get a look at up close to see if he fits future plans.

Why for Utah?

As much as Calderon gets crushed for his "swisscheeseD", the Jazz could use an experienced/veteran point to be trusted with the ball and making the right plays. Having Favors and Gobert backing up Calderon in the backcourt alleviates some of those defensive concerns. Offensively, he fits their system like a glove. Low usage, allowing Heyward to be featured with the ball in his hands, spacing the defense. He may not be the best point guard on the market, but he's certainly one of the most obtainable and on the cheap. They get a 2nd Round pick for taking on the salary, and could stretch him in the offseason should they decide to move on.

---

What do you guys think?
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,824

Re: Deadline Deal : Knicks - Kings - Jazz 

Post#2 » by giberish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:07 am

Tough to see Utah doing this. The Knicks are already better with Grant than Calderon - is Calderon better than Burke or Neto? I'd say no. Not only is he a worse defender (just because Utah's D won't collapse doesn't mean making their D worse won't hurt) but he's too slow to do much on offense. No reason to lose a useful rotation big and take on bad salary going forward.

It might work better as a 2-team deal. If Sacramento's not competitive at the deadline they could take on Calderon's extra salary for the long-term value of Grant.
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#3 » by swisscheeseD » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:00 pm

giberish wrote:Tough to see Utah doing this. The Knicks are already better with Grant than Calderon - is Calderon better than Burke or Neto? I'd say no. Not only is he a worse defender (just because Utah's D won't collapse doesn't mean making their D worse won't hurt) but he's too slow to do much on offense. No reason to lose a useful rotation big and take on bad salary going forward.

It might work better as a 2-team deal. If Sacramento's not competitive at the deadline they could take on Calderon's extra salary for the long-term value of Grant.

I agree that I thought this would work better as a 2-team deal myself...just thought that taking on the extra year of Calderon may have been a tough sell to Kings fans and lowered the total value brought back by Rondo overall.

Utah seemed like a solid 3rd team with the potential "need", fit and Cap Space to make such a move.

Interested to see what others think as well. Thanks for the input.
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#4 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:29 pm

If Utah does this, I think NYK happily keeps Grant and just dumps Calderon in a two team deal. But I don't think Utah does it.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:54 pm

I like it for Utah right now actually. Booker for Calderon straight up. The Jazz can afford to eat the second year without issue. Maybe the Knicks add in a second round pick or something if that is an issue.

The problem with the OP trade, is that the Knicks give up Grant for Rondo. He's a big PG who fits the triangle offense. As long as the Knicks are committed to running that offense, Grant is a far better fit than Rondo. Rondo might be one of the worst triangle fits I can imagine. He's a PG who needs the ball in his hands, because he's useless off the ball. The triangle is based around no one player being a dominant ball handler. Rondo doesn't fit at all.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,521

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I like it for Utah right now actually. Booker for Calderon straight up. The Jazz can afford to eat the second year without issue. Maybe the Knicks add in a second round pick or something if that is an issue.

The problem with the OP trade, is that the Knicks give up Grant for Rondo. He's a big PG who fits the triangle offense. As long as the Knicks are committed to running that offense, Grant is a far better fit than Rondo. Rondo might be one of the worst triangle fits I can imagine. He's a PG who needs the ball in his hands, because he's useless off the ball. The triangle is based around no one player being a dominant ball handler. Rondo doesn't fit at all.

Booker for Calderon needs to happen just so Gobert can get 6 blocks a game. But I think Utah holds tight.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#7 » by Winglish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I like it for Utah right now actually. Booker for Calderon straight up. The Jazz can afford to eat the second year without issue. Maybe the Knicks add in a second round pick or something if that is an issue.

I like it also. The Jazz are quite literally a point guard away from being yesterday's Memphis Grizzlies. They are so solid at every other position. I mean, Burke is playing better but he is coming off the bench for a reason- he's feasting on second units, a good role for Trey.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,000

Post#8 » by R-DAWG » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Knicks have no interest in moving Jerian Grant for Rajon Rondo. Rondo's days as an "elite player" are over.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#9 » by Winglish » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Winglish wrote:

I like it also. The Jazz are quite literally a point guard away from being yesterday's Memphis Grizzlies. They are so solid at every other position. I mean, Burke is playing better but he is coming off the bench for a reason- he's feasting on second units, a good role for Trey.

Maybe I take it back? I have not watched New York. Does Calderon have any gas left in the tank?
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,233

Post#10 » by blind prophet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:45 pm

No thanks from Sacramento. I'd like to see what it will cost to resign Rondo, or see what we can do without any extra money invested in the off season.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Post#11 » by meekrab » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:38 pm

If NYK are "right in the thick of things" at the deadline it'll be because Melo is doing good things with the ball in his hands; trading for Rondo would completely mess that up.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,445

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:26 pm

As sad as this is.. I don't think Jose is enough of an upgrade over Burke to cut into the cap space next offseason. They should be players for any big free agent really.. Even if their list is only Conley.. They might have enough space to get Conley while having Jose, I'm not sure really - but I'd rather have the space for Conley and Booker or Conley and Ryan Anderson.. Or Ryan Anderson and a good PG via trade using cap space..etc.

I'd think offering a second for ..Augustin, Bayless, Ennis, etc.. is just as much good this year without any impact on next year. Jennings.. Fatboy Felton..etc
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#13 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:18 am

Definitely not a Trevor Booker fan, but I still hate this trade for the Jazz. Two things:

1. Trey Burke is outplaying Calderon this year and it isn't particularly close. It's fair to be skeptical of Trey's hot start, but Calderon hasn't been good in years. He's not a positive player anymore and is certainly not a clear upgrade of Burke or triple wing lineups.

2. The backup big situation has been a serious issue for the Jazz so far. If Booker for Calderon was a lateral move (it isn't), it still wouldn't make sense for the Jazz to trade a big for a PG.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#14 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Yeah every deal the kings make on this board is under the premise that the drama is too much. Which is code for we'll give you 2 quarters on the dollar for your talent.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
ramsay123456789
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#15 » by ramsay123456789 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:21 pm

Good trade 4 all party's

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Trades and Transactions