2016 Off-Season Hypothetical: Kevin Durant wants to sign with the Knicks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

2016 Off-Season Hypothetical: Kevin Durant wants to sign with the Knicks 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:29 am

So it's July of 2016 and Phil Jackson does the hard part, he convinces Kevin Durant to sign in New York under a two promises from James Dolan and Phil Jackson.

1. Assuming the projected $89 Million salary cap, the Knicks sign Durant to his MAX contract starting at his first year projected MAX of $25.3 Million.

2. The Knicks must at least keep a core around Durant that can be competitive which means keeping Carmelo Anthony, Robin Lopez, Kristaps Porzingis, Jerian Grant, Arron Afflalo and Langston Galloway.

Now, you currently are looking at the following situation (also Derrick Williams opts in to his contract and Arron Afflalo opts out):

Salary Cap - $89,000,000

Carmelo Anthony - $24,559,380
Robin Lopez - $13,219,250
Jose Calderon - $7,708,427
Derrick Williams - $4,598,000
Kristaps Porzingis - $4,317,720
Kyle O'Quinn - $3,918,750
Jerian Grant - $1,643,040

Notable Cap Holds

Arron Afflalo - $9,600,000
Langston Galloway - $1,180,431
Cleanthony Early - $1,180,431

Empty Roster Spots ($543,471 multiplied by the number of empty roster spots needed to get to 13 roster spots) - $2,173,884

Knicks 2016 Cap Space - $14,900,687

Salary Needed To Be Created - $10,399,313

Here's where I need your help...

If the Knicks were to stretch Jose Calderon (add $7,708,427 and subtract $2,569,476 and empty roster spot of $543,471) and stretch Derrick Williams (add $4,598,000 and subtract $1,532,667 plus empty roster spot of $543,471), that would give them $22,081,029 in cap space. That is still $3,281,971 short of Kevin Durant's first year MAX. The Knicks would need to trade Kyle O'Quinn without taking any salary back to make that work (add $3,918,750 and subtract empty roster spot of $543,471).

So again, it's the summer of 2016 and the Knicks are offering Kyle O'Quinn to the highest bidder. What would your team offer for Kyle O'Quinn in terms of TPE plus any non-salaried asset(s)?

Kyle O'Quinn Salary
2016-17 - $3,918,750
2017-18 - $4,087,500
2018-19 - $4,256,250 (Player Option)

He is a rugged bench role player for your front court on a very reasonable salary. Make your bids and whoever can make the best offer that allows the Knicks to dump O'Quinn's salary gets to keep him. What is your offer?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Re: 2016 Off-Season Hypothetical: Kevin Durant wants to sign with the Knicks 

Post#2 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:35 am

The Knicks Post-Trade Roster Would Be:

C-Kristaps Porzingis/Robin Lopez
PF-Carmelo Anthony
SF-Kevin Durant/Cleanthony Early
SG-Arron Afflalo
PG-Langston Galloway/Jerian Grant

Side Note 1: Any one with great CBA knowledge know if the Knicks would be allowed to go over the cap to sign Guillermo Hernangomez after all of this since he was a second round draft pick?

Side Note 2: Any one with great CBA knowledge know if the Knicks would still have any exceptions available to them after that?

I'm sure the Knicks could bring back Lance Thomas and Lou Amundson for the minimum.

PF-Carmelo Anthony/Lou Amundson
SG-Arron Afflalo/Lance Thomas

Plus potentially a cap MLE (if side note 2 is a yes), Guillermo Hernangomez (if side note 1 is a yes) and 3 minimum salary veterans to fill out the roster. That team could make a good run in the Eastern Conference IMO.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#3 » by BullyKing » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:46 am

I don't believe you can have multiple contracts stretched at the same time. I also don't really understand the point of this threat. We're asked to assume Kevin Durant is signing with the Knicks but then need to figure out how to move some combination of O'Quinn, Calderon and Williams. If Kevin Durant is willing to sign with your team, you pay whatever is necessary to move the required salary in a trade. It doesn't matter - whatever the cost.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,462

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:53 am

sportscrazy wrote:That team could make a good run in the Eastern Conference IMO.

Put Durant on any team in the East via free agency and they could make a good run. Really.

But Zinger would have to look better than he already does (which is already a surprise to most) for Melo+Zinger to be attractive enough to leave Russ+Ibaka or not pick Beal+Wall.. Or not pick Bosh+Dragic.. Or Dwight+Howard.. Or any other team that has two stars and cap space, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

I don't think the NY market is a necessity for guys like Durant - top tier guys will get endorsements in most markets. Maybe some don't like playing in small markets, but they don't necessarily need to be in the biggest market.

But yeah, getting rid of bench players and adding a top 3 player would make the Knicks better.

And you give up an unprotected first to move Quinn+Jose if it means Durant is signing with the starting line up intact.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#5 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:03 am

BullyKing wrote:I don't believe you can have multiple contracts stretched at the same time. I also don't really understand the point of this threat. We're asked to assume Kevin Durant is signing with the Knicks but then need to figure out how to move some combination of O'Quinn, Calderon and Williams. If Kevin Durant is willing to sign with your team, you pay whatever is necessary to move the required salary in a trade. It doesn't matter - whatever the cost.

Okay, so if they could only stretch Derrick Williams, what is the protection the Knicks would need on a 2018 first round draft pick to dump Jose Calderon's expiring contract? I know the answer is if Durant wants to sign here then whatever it takes, but that is exactly my question, what would it take for some one would bite before another team takes it?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#6 » by BullyKing » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:05 am

sportscrazy wrote:
BullyKing wrote:I don't believe you can have multiple contracts stretched at the same time. I also don't really understand the point of this threat. We're asked to assume Kevin Durant is signing with the Knicks but then need to figure out how to move some combination of O'Quinn, Calderon and Williams. If Kevin Durant is willing to sign with your team, you pay whatever is necessary to move the required salary in a trade. It doesn't matter - whatever the cost.

Okay, so if they could only stretch Derrick Williams, what is the protection the Knicks would need on a 2018 first round draft pick to dump Jose Calderon's expiring contract? I know the answer is if Durant wants to sign here then whatever it takes, but that is exactly my question, what would it take for some one would bite before another team takes it?

We've already gone through this. But if the Knicks are creating the space to sign Durant, then probably not a ton of protections since you assume the pick will be bad. Can we now take a break from your various attempts to dump Calderon?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#7 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:12 am

jayjaysee wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:That team could make a good run in the Eastern Conference IMO.

Put Durant on any team in the East via free agency and they could make a good run. Really.

But Zinger would have to look better than he already does (which is already a surprise to most) for Melo+Zinger to be attractive enough to leave Russ+Ibaka or not pick Beal+Wall.. Or not pick Bosh+Dragic.. Or Dwight+Howard.. Or any other team that has two stars and cap space, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

I don't think the NY market is a necessity for guys like Durant - top tier guys will get endorsements in most markets. Maybe some don't like playing in small markets, but they don't necessarily need to be in the biggest market.

But yeah, getting rid of bench players and adding a top 3 player would make the Knicks better.

And you give up an unprotected first to move Quinn+Jose if it means Durant is signing with the starting line up intact.

Very true. It does depend on the progression of Kristaps Porzingis big time, but if he shows to reflect the talents of a player that will grow to be a cross between Dirk Nowitzki and Serge Ibaka, then that gives the Knicks a big advantage. You add that to being in a still weak Eastern Conference, having Robin Lopez, Arron Afflalo, Jerian Grant and Langston Galloway as supporting cast to 'Melo and Porzingis and being in New York (I know it's not a decision maker, but with a competitive team, it would be a very attractive market) then I think a Knicks team with a Porzingis that shows major growth by the end of the 2015-16 season looks more attractive to Kevin Durant than Miami, Washington, Houston, etc. I think it would ultimately come down to OKC or NYK (again, pending the growth shown by Porzingis) just because I don't think any other team could offer a big market, MAX contract, two stars and a great supporting cast around those two stars like the Knicks could.

I still think it's like 95% he stays in OKC for a 2 year deal with a player option just to see what Westbrook decides in 2017 and get the 10 year vet MAX when the regular MAX salary would go up any way because of the cap increase, but if Porzingis shows star potential, that team would be hard to pass up IF he was going to leave either way (which I don't think is even the case).
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#8 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:13 am

BullyKing wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:

We've already gone through this. But if the Knicks are creating the space to sign Durant, then probably not a ton of protections since you assume the pick will be bad. Can we now take a break from your various attempts to dump Calderon?

Why do you choose to read my threads?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#9 » by BullyKing » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:15 am

Ok, I won't?
NYSixersFan wrote:
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,462

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:34 am

sportscrazy wrote:..cross between Dirk Nowitzki and Serge Ibaka,

looks more attractive to Kevin Durant than Miami, Washington, Houston, etc. I think it would ultimately come down to OKC or NYK (again, pending the growth shown by Porzingis) just because I don't think any other team could offer a big market, MAX contract, two stars and a great supporting cast around those two stars like the Knicks could.

1- You just described a top 5 player of all time. You realize that yeah? Maybe top 3.. Even a lesser version of the two makes for a top 10 player in the league. This is a ridiculous bar to set after so many were angry about the pick 11 games ago.

2- I think you just listed the same three teams I listed that have two stars and a supporting cast.. I don't quite understand here.. Unless Zinger does instantly develop into a Dirk+Serge hybrid....Harden is the most attractive piece in Wash+Houston+Miami+NY..Throw in Howard+Bev+whatever..But I'd still rather play in my hometown with Wall+Beal+Gortat+Porter+Oubre.. Or stay where I'm at with too many good players for the minutes the team has.. And I personally think Bosh's game is going to age much smoother than Melo's so if Dragic bounces back to the player he's been the last few years and Wade tells me he will come back.. I'm taking Winslow+Bosh+Dragic+Wade with Riley's brain in charge. And that's just the list I came up with while typing.. NOP can make a run.. Lakers can sign Durant+someone.. Portland? Indy?

So yeah.. I guess what you posted is right.. If Zinger does show he will be a top 15-20 player in his rookie season, the Knicks talent wise would be arguably better than the teams they will be competing against for Durant.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#11 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:19 am

BullyKing wrote:Ok, I won't?

Sorry, I just had a moment of frustration. When I first started posting here in 2002, the trade board was a unit that worked together as a team to advance the OP's concept towards a sensible trade and each post in the thread advanced it towards making the original concept into something every one could agree was reasonable using positive criticism no matter how flawed the OP's trade idea was. I feel like somewhere along the way it evolved into a bunch of critics waiting like vultures to attack every flaw in a proposed deal using negative criticism using posts that don't advance the thread no matter how little the flaws are in the OP's trade idea. I didn't mean to take that out on you, it just becomes frustrating. I may have retire from this board soon and move to a web site that has a forum with a more positive and productive environment. I know you were just making light of the fact that I'm trying hard to trade Calderon.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#12 » by BullyKing » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:23 am

sportscrazy wrote:

Sorry, I just had a moment of frustration. When I first started posting here in 2002, the trade board was a unit that worked together as a team to advance the OP's concept towards a sensible trade and each post in the thread advanced it towards making the original concept into something every one could agree was reasonable using positive criticism no matter how flawed the OP's trade idea was. I feel like somewhere along the way it evolved into a bunch of critics waiting like vultures to attack every flaw in a proposed deal using negative criticism using posts that don't advance the thread no matter how little the flaws are in the OP's trade idea. I didn't mean to take that out on you, it just becomes frustrating. I may have retire from this board soon and move to a web site that has a forum with a more positive and productive environment. I know you were just making light of the fact that I'm trying hard to trade Calderon.

No worries, and I hope you didn't take anything I said personally and it was a joke. I mean, you and I went back and forth a lot to get the framework of something that both could live with in terms of dumping Calderon on Philly. I was mostly just confused why it seemed like you wanted to start that process again.

Though I was serious that if you have Durant on board, it really does not matter what it takes to create the room.
NYSixersFan wrote:
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#13 » by giberish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:30 am

sportscrazy wrote:The Knicks Post-Trade Roster Would Be:

PF-Carmelo Anthony
SG-Arron Afflalo

Side Note 1: Any one with great CBA knowledge know if the Knicks would be allowed to go over the cap to sign Guillermo Hernangomez after all of this since he was a second round draft pick?

Side Note 2: Any one with great CBA knowledge know if the Knicks would still have any exceptions available to them after that?

The Knicks would have the 'Room' exception and the min salary exception available. They'd have to use one or the other to sign Hernangomez - so if they use the 'Room' exception on Hernangomez they'd only have the min salary option left to add other players.

Of course, as star FA's aren't interested in carrying declining players much older then themselves, Melo wouldn't be much of a draw for Durant so he'd have to either REALLY like Porzingis or consider playing in NY to be the only thing that matters to sign with the Knicks. I'd consider Washington, NO, Houston and GS all to be much more likely options for Durant - and even then the 2nd most likely outcome is Durant resigning long-term with OKC and the most likely outcome is a 1-year deal with OKC so he can make far more money in 2017.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#14 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 am

BullyKing wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:

No worries, and I hope you didn't take anything I said personally and it was a joke. I mean, you and I went back and forth a lot to get the framework of something that both could live with in terms of dumping Calderon on Philly. I was mostly just confused why it seemed like you wanted to start that process again.

Though I was serious that if you have Durant on board, it really does not matter what it takes to create the room.

Considering the contracts of Calderon and Derrick Williams would be expiring by the hypothetical point of this thread, the 76ers come to mind as a perfect fit if the Knicks needed to create cap space for Mike Conley or Kevin Durant where the Knicks send out the expiring contracts of Calderon and Williams with cash, an unprotected 2018 first round draft pick plus the 3 seconds the Knicks have. I think Hinkie would take that deal and then make the 2017 or 2018 summer his time to get the finally long awaited big splash (or two or three) via free agency to join his collection of assets and rookies.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#15 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:54 am

giberish wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:The Knicks Post-Trade Roster Would Be:

PF-Carmelo Anthony
SG-Arron Afflalo

The Knicks would have the 'Room' exception and the min salary exception available. They'd have to use one or the other to sign Hernangomez - so if they use the 'Room' exception on Hernangomez they'd only have the min salary option left to add other players.

Of course, as star FA's aren't interested in carrying declining players much older then themselves, Melo wouldn't be much of a draw for Durant so he'd have to either REALLY like Porzingis or consider playing in NY to be the only thing that matters to sign with the Knicks. I'd consider Washington, NO, Houston and GS all to be much more likely options for Durant - and even then the 2nd most likely outcome is Durant resigning long-term with OKC and the most likely outcome is a 1-year deal with OKC so he can make far more money in 2017.

I really don't see a scenario where Durant doesn't take a two year deal with OKC that has a player option after the first year. It just makes sense for him to get in that 10+ MAX tier with a higher salary cap hence a higher MAX salary plus he will be able to give Billy Donovan some time to adjust fully and completely to the pro level while getting a better idea of what Russell Westbrook would decide with his own 2017 free agent decision.

I could, however, see a scenario where Mike Conley sees Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, Damian Lillard, etc. getting exposure whereas he doesn't get the same attention and praise even though he is on the same level as those guys. For a player like Mike Conley who would get his superstar recognition in a big market like New York, I could really see him deciding to take NY's money and become the face of that franchise in a weak Eastern Conference with a player like 'Melo who has shown to be most effective playing with a top tier point guard, but has never had a co-star any where near Conley's level in his entire career.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#16 » by sportscrazy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:14 am

In the theme of this thread, the Warriors fresh off of a repeat championship performance see Kevin Durant take a two year deal with a player option to re-sign with the Thunder while Mike Conley decides to go to a big market and signs with New York who used their unprotected 2018 first rounder, 2017 & 2019 Rockets second rounders and 2019 Cavaliers second rounder with cash to get Hinkie to take on one year of Calderon and D-Will in order to do so. After Dwight Howard re-signs long term in Houston, the Warriors see the only big fish left being Al Horford.

Horford has a strong interest in the Warriors. Most of the teams with big cap space plans start turning their attention to the 2017 off-season which features a deep free agent class.

The Warriors must trade Jason Thompson, Shaun Livingston, Andre Iguodala, Andrew Bogut, Kevon Looney and the draft rights to their recently selected 30th overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft in order to create the cap space for Horford without giving up Curry, Klay, Green and hold onto the cap holds for Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli. Which teams would take that in a trade?

C-Al Horford/Festus Ezeli
PF-Draymond Green
SF-Harrison Barnes
SG-Klay Thompson
PG-Stephen Curry

That's the current projected roster (plus every veteran imaginable ie Joe Johnson, Steve Blake, David Lee (again), etc. on veteran minimums potentially)

Your mission: Trade the above mentioned pieces for TPE(s) to allow the Warriors to create this roster then find veterans that have made big money on losing teams and would take a pay cut to join the Warriors to fill out their roster for depth.
Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#17 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:39 am

Why would the Knicks get rid of O'Quinn when he's on such a team friendly deal? If KP is able to play center why keep Lopez to be a backup at such a high price tag?

If the Knicks trade Lopez and stretch Calderon (or somehow find a way to get rid of him via trade) they would not only be able to sign Durant but they may be able to get additional pieces to replace or backup Afflalo and you'll get to keep O'Quinn to back up Melo and/or KP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:45 pm

sportscrazy wrote:

They would not have any form of Bird Rights to sign Hernangomez, so they would have to use cap space, or an exception to do so.

sportscrazy wrote:Side Note 2: Any one with great CBA knowledge know if the Knicks would still have any exceptions available to them after that?

They would have the smaller Room Exception, and then infinite number of vet minimum exceptions. If Hernangomez were to sign for more than 2 years, and/or more than the vet minimum salary, they would have to use a portion of the Room Exception to sign him.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#19 » by old rem » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:13 pm

sportscrazy wrote:In the theme of this thread, the Warriors fresh off of a repeat championship performance see Kevin Durant take a two year deal with a player option to re-sign with the Thunder while Mike Conley decides to go to a big market and signs with New York who used their unprotected 2018 first rounder, 2017 & 2019 Rockets second rounders and 2019 Cavaliers second rounder with cash to get Hinkie to take on one year of Calderon and D-Will in order to do so. After Dwight Howard re-signs long term in Houston, the Warriors see the only big fish left being Al Horford.

Horford has a strong interest in the Warriors. Most of the teams with big cap space plans start turning their attention to the 2017 off-season which features a deep free agent class.

The Warriors must trade Jason Thompson, Shaun Livingston, Andre Iguodala, Andrew Bogut, Kevon Looney and the draft rights to their recently selected 30th overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft in order to create the cap space for Horford without giving up Curry, Klay, Green and hold onto the cap holds for Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli. Which teams would take that in a trade?

C-Al Horford/Festus Ezeli
PF-Draymond Green
SF-Harrison Barnes
SG-Klay Thompson
PG-Stephen Curry

That's the current projected roster (plus every veteran imaginable ie Joe Johnson, Steve Blake, David Lee (again), etc. on veteran minimums potentially)

Your mission: Trade the above mentioned pieces for TPE(s) to allow the Warriors to create this roster then find veterans that have made big money on losing teams and would take a pay cut to join the Warriors to fill out their roster for depth.
I just don't see GSW wanting to trade/dump that many players. Horford will be 30 by then...and if the premise is he's got a long max deal....is that good? Having depleted their draft already...GSW dumps Looney and their next pick? I assume the scenario also has Speights,Barbosa, Clark and McAdoo expired and gone? GSW......LIKES continuity and depth. Horford? His whole career has been on the Hawks.. who are now good. Does he really want to exit?
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#20 » by old rem » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:

They would not have any form of Bird Rights to sign Hernangomez, so they would have to use cap space, or an exception to do so.

sportscrazy wrote:Side Note 2: Any one with great CBA knowledge know if the Knicks would still have any exceptions available to them after that?

They would have the smaller Room Exception, and then infinite number of vet minimum exceptions. If Hernangomez were to sign for more than 2 years, and/or more than the vet minimum salary, they would have to use a portion of the Room Exception to sign him.
Unless things change.. I believe you can sign all your own draft picks, including those from awhile past. You don't need MLE,TPE...whatever.
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to Trades and Transactions