Pelicans/Celtics; Pelicans/Pacers - Dec 15th

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Re: Pelicans/Celtics; Pelicans/Pacers - Dec 15th 

Post#21 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:52 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Eric Gordon is Avery Bradley without the defense. No thanks.

You don't know what you're talking about. Gordon was one of the best three point shooters in the league last year. Avery is a mediocre shooter at best.

Gordon was a better three point shooter last year and a better all around scorer, but Bradley is not a bad scorer. He was a 40% three point shooter two years ago down to 35% , back up to 40% this year. Don't be angry because he compared the two.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 765

Post#22 » by lordjeff05 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:52 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Eric Gordon is Avery Bradley without the defense. No thanks.

You don't know what you're talking about. Gordon was one of the best three point shooters in the league last year. Avery is a mediocre shooter at best.

Gordon was a better three point shooter last year and a better all around scorer, but Bradley is not a bad scorer. He was a 40% three point shooter two years ago down to 35% , back up to 40% this year. Don't be angry because he compared the two.

It's a silly comparison unless you're underrating Gordon or overrating Bradley. The stats don't back it up at all. Bradley's shown the ability to hit the three but he's not on Gordon's level as a scorer. If I said that Avery Bradley is Eric Gordon without the scoring ability, it wouldn't be true because Bradley is a better defender.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,786

Post#23 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Bradley this year so far:
3pt: 40.9%
2pt: 49%
efg: 53.8%
pts per 36: 18.1

Eric Gordon this year so far:
3pt: 34.3%
2pt: 46.2%
efg: 48.8%
pts per 36: 18.4

We won't even get into assists, steals, rebounds, etc, all categories in which Bradley leads Gordon hands down.

The fact is that Bradley has been measurably better than Gordon this year in every facet of the game. Plus Bradley is two years younger and makes considerably less money on a very team friendly contract.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#24 » by lordjeff05 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Bradley this year so far:
3pt: 40.9%
2pt: 49%
efg: 53.8%
pts per 36: 18.1

Eric Gordon this year so far:
3pt: 34.3%
2pt: 46.2%
efg: 48.8%
pts per 36: 18.4

We won't even get into assists, steals, rebounds, etc, all categories in which Bradley leads Gordon hands down.

The fact is that Bradley has been measurably better than Gordon this year in every facet of the game. Plus Bradley is two years younger and makes considerably less money on a very team friendly contract.

When this thread started, Gordon was scoring more efficiently than Bradley and scoring at a significantly higher clip per 36. The fact that one game of Bradleybeing hot and Gordon being cold having that large of an effect on the stats tells you all you need to know about relying these stats this early in the year.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#25 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:56 pm

This thread started yesterday.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#26 » by lordjeff05 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:This thread started yesterday.

Exactly. Bradley got hot last night and it bumped his true shooting percentage up 3 points, Gordon got cold and his went down 2 points. So one game ago, you couldnt say that Bradley was more efficient or that he scored as often as Gordon, but because one game affects the statistics that much, now you can. Basically that calls in to question the validity of using 12 games worth of stats to make an argument.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#27 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Using this year's stats is less dangerous than comparing where players were one year or two years ago, especially with a young player like Bradley.

And even if the shooting were even, Bradley is so much better at the rest of the game. Gordon doesn't pass, doesn't rebound, doesn't defend.

Trust me when I tell you that the Celtics aren't giving up Evan Turner and Amir Johnson to get a player like Gordon when they already have a better player at the same position and do not have enough minutes for their quality guards (Thomas, Smart, Turner, Bradley, Hunter) as is, not to mention Rozier, who is tearing up the D league.

lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#28 » by lordjeff05 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Using this year's stats is less dangerous than comparing where players were one year or two years ago, especially with a young player like Bradley.

And even if the shooting were even, Bradley is so much better at the rest of the game. Gordon doesn't pass, doesn't rebound, doesn't defend.

Trust me when I tell you that the Celtics aren't giving up Evan Turner and Amir Johnson to get a player like Gordon when they already have a better player at the same position and do not have enough minutes for their quality guards (Thomas, Smart, Turner, Bradley, Hunter) as is, not to mention Rozier, who is tearing up the D league.

Gordon is also a better passer than Bradley. This year even with the limited stats and fewer people to pass it to, he's still averaging more assists, and last year he had double the assists per 40 as Bradley. Avery has never been known for his court vision. And while Bradley is a better rebounder, they both suck at it, probably because they are guards. I don't agree that Bradley is a better player but that is a pretty subjective thing to consider. I do think might work better next to Reke because he can check point guards and he doesn't need the ball.

Trust me, the Pels don't want Even Turner and Johnson. I've already said it multiple times,but Johnson isn't an asset to the Pelicans where he'd be the third best player at his position. This trade wasn't offered by a Pelicans fan. We'd only look to trade Gordon if we were sure we couldn't make the playoffs. We aren't there yet. You can keep your "assets" in Turner and Johnson.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Using this year's stats is less dangerous than comparing where players were one year or two years ago, especially with a young player like Bradley.

Wildly disagree. Generally, a long history of past performance is a better indication of future potential than one week, or barely more, of work.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#30 » by Maple Green » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:42 am

What about this?

Pelicans out: Anthony Davis (re-signed for multi year contract)

Celtics in : Anthony Davis

Pelicans in:
Amir Johnson
Evan Turner
Tyre Zeller
2015 Dallas pick
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#31 » by cl2117 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:50 am

Maple Green wrote:What about this?

Pelicans in:
Amir Johnson
Evan Turner
Tyre Zeller
2015 Dallas pick

I'm sure the Pelicans would be all over that if you are going to include your first born child, the Garden, the rights to all future Celtics draft picks, Brad Stevens, Larry Bird and Red Auerbach's bones in that deal.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#32 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Maple Green wrote:What about this?

Pelicans in:
Amir Johnson
Evan Turner
Tyre Zeller
2015 Dallas pick

How about you try and explain why you think that's a fair deal for New Orleans, so that you'll realize that posting awful, never attainable offers like this do nothing for the forum in terms of discussing trades.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#33 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:56 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:

It's a silly comparison unless you're underrating Gordon or overrating Bradley. The stats don't back it up at all. Bradley's shown the ability to hit the three but he's not on Gordon's level as a scorer. If I said that Avery Bradley is Eric Gordon without the scoring ability, it wouldn't be true because Bradley is a better defender.

I said Gordon was a better scorer, I disagree with you saying Bradley is a mediocre shooter at best. You did not give any evidence for your arguement. Even with Bradley being mostly a three point shooter both he and Gordon share the same exact lifetime fg%. Your arguements seem to be out of anger, if you consider AD a pf then Johnson would easily become the team's best center.
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#34 » by lordjeff05 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

I said Gordon was a better scorer, I disagree with you saying Bradley is a mediocre shooter at best. You did not give any evidence for your arguement. Even with Bradley being mostly a three point shooter both he and Gordon share the same exact lifetime fg%. Your arguements seem to be out of anger, if you consider AD a pf then Johnson would easily become the team's best center.

My argument is that Gordon is a better scorer than Bradley, and yes the stats back that up. The only statement I reacted to was the concept of Eric Gordon being Avery Bradley without the defense, which isn't true. You seem to have an issue with the fact that I called Johnson a mediocre shooter, but that's what he has been over the course of his career. His numbers are better this year, and if they hold, I will revise my opinion. Until then, the numbers say otherwise.

Now regarding your second statement, Johnson does not "easily" become our team's best center. Asik is our best center and would continue to be so. He's a much better rebounder, who gives up significantly fewer fouls (almost two fewer fouls a game over the course of roughly the same amount of minutes over their careers). He's also a better post defender and more adept at protecting AD from pounding down low.

Johnson is a good player with value, but he's a bad fit on the Pels.

Return to Trades and Transactions