Celtics 76ers: Hinkie's New Low

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#1 » by jowglenn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Happens at the deadline.

EASY MODE

Celtics trade: 2016 BKN 1st

76ers trade: Jahlil Okafor

Why for Celtics: You've got random pieces making a reasonably competitive team under a great coach, lots of picks, time to put your money where your mouth is. Get a blue-chip rookie big man fresh off a justified 3rd pick in the draft (shoulda gone zingis/kat/okafor). Develop him to be your main big man scoring cog of the future. Stevens is a good enough coach that he'll get Okafor's full potential, on a competitive team every night.

The BKN 1st probably will be the 3rd or 4th pick on average - PHI is worse, Lakers are worse, and those teams will tank for their own pick. But Brooklyn doesn't own their pick so they won't tank, they'll probably end up with a pick in the 3-5 range. Yes, there's a chance it'll be the #1 pick, of course. But that's a risk you have to take to get Jahlil Okafor on this team right now so he can become part of this core. In this scenario, you lose the BKN pick, but you still have all your other picks, and you get Okafor.

Jahlil Okafor can be the young big man future anchor that this team needs. Smart/Bradley/Crowder/Johnson/Okafor with Thomas, Turner, Sullinger, Olynyk, Zeller off the bench - they develop those other young backup guards and this team is just stuffed with talent now.

Why for 76ers: Hinkie goes all-in on the 2016 NBA Draft. His roster next year: Noel, Saric, (Embiid?) Stauskas, all those other dudes they have whose names I don't know, 2016 PHI 1st, 2016 BKN 1st, 2016 LAL 1st, 2016 MIA 1st, 2016 OKC 1st. No matter what he hits, he can maneuver this draft supremely. His ultimate fantasy. His greatest moment.

WEIRD MODE

Celtics trade: 2016 BOS 1st, 2016 DAL 1st, and Philadelphia gets the right to swap their 2016 1st round pick with the Brooklyn 2016 1st and the right to swap their 2017 1st with the BKN 2017 1st that Boston owns, assuming Boston exercises their swap rights with Brooklyn on that 2017 1st, which is very likely. Plus salary filler, whoever that is (Jerebko?), I'm sure they can figure it out. We can even consider adding in other pick swaps involving the 2018 BNK 1st, the MEM 1st, etc, etc, etc, but the point is that it's complicated.

76ers trade: Jahlil Okafor

Why for Celtics: In this scenario, you give up your own pick and the Dallas pick, both likely to be in the teens. You allow Philadelphia to swap with the Brooklyn pick - so even if Brooklyn gets the #2 pick and the 76ers get #4, Boston still has #4. You also allow them to swap in 2017.

For this - two picks in the teens and, worst case scenario, dropping one of the brooklyn picks down a few spots in the draft - you still have the lesser of the BKN/PHI picks, but no, it can't be #1, because if it lands #1, yes, you'd swap down with Philadelphia. But I think Okafor is good enough and probably worth that minor risk, surely.

Why for 76ers: You people thought that Sam Hinkie was a tank master before, but you never realized what a true tank-master is. A tank-master beyond description and beyond imagination.

This essentially doubles their chances for Ben Simmons - triples it, considering they lose Okafor - if they or the Nets wins the lottery, they get that #1 pick. They get two more 1sts - and believe me, Dallas or Boston can miss the playoffs easily - to add to their war chest of Lakers pick, Miami pick, OKC pick - they could have feasibly 6 1sts in this upcoming draft. They'd prefer the BKN pick outright, but this still has options. And this version you can even push Boston to give more late future picks - 2nds, MEM 1st, etc.

I just find it an intriguing idea for Hinkie to sell out on Okafor incredibly quickly as part of his revolutionary plan. He traded MCW away. You never know.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Celtics 76ers: Hinkie's New Low 

Post#2 » by BullyKing » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm not convinced after a couple games that Simmons is a better prospect than Okafor so I'm not interested in trading Okafor to increase the chances at Simmons - especially when the Sixers already have a great chance at him.

It seems to me that this deal has a much better chance of occurring at the draft when the Sixers will (a) know the actual picks involved; and (b) hopefully have a better idea of Embiid's status.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#3 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Well I haven't really analyzed Okafor beyond he seems to be a really good offensive big. But if this is a trade made pre deadline then I could see Ainge being interested. Might as well use their picks to take the risk out of the lottery. Come lottery time... when both the Brookly and BOS pick will be similar to Phil's ... there won't be any point to the trade.

The first one easy mode... of course you do that. Why not.

For the second one... that becomes more complicated. Honestly that's a lot of picks and conditions. Not sure they should give up more than BOS AND DAL pick in 2016. I mean ... Okafor isn't going to be a difference maker this year. Maybe in the future. I know he's putting up good stats on a bad team, sounds like AL Jefferson. So the Celtics could easily trade for Okafor and proceed to miss the playoffs. Okafor's status look good but his PER is still just 15.73 right now... which the league average is 15 so that means he's an average player by the very definition.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#4 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:35 pm

the only way a trade like this could ever happen is if Embiid is determined to be 100% ready to go.

theres about a 0% chance of that being the case, so this trade won't happen
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,134

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:46 pm

I think the Sixers owner might step in and veto the trade even if Hinkie was willing to do it. After the MCW trade, I just don't see it happening.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,536

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:11 pm

I like trade 1 at the draft as an idea, obviously depending where the pick is for both teams.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#7 » by Winglish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:53 pm

:lol:

Was I supposed to laugh out loud at the irony behind the title of this thread? Because I find the fact that Hinkie might very well pull something like this hilarious!
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Re: RE: Re: Celtics 76ers: Hinkie's New Low 

Post#8 » by Sportfan73 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:13 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Well I haven't really analyzed Okafor beyond he seems to be a really good offensive big. But if this is a trade made pre deadline then I could see Ainge being interested. Might as well use their picks to take the risk out of the lottery. Come lottery time... when both the Brookly and BOS pick will be similar to Phil's ... there won't be any point to the trade.

The first one easy mode... of course you do that. Why not.

For the second one... that becomes more complicated. Honestly that's a lot of picks and conditions. Not sure they should give up more than BOS AND DAL pick in 2016. I mean ... Okafor isn't going to be a difference maker this year. Maybe in the future. I know he's putting up good stats on a bad team, sounds like AL Jefferson. So the Celtics could easily trade for Okafor and proceed to miss the playoffs. Okafor's status look good but his PER is still just 15.73 right now... which the league average is 15 so that means he's an average player by the very definition.

At 19 years old
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#9 » by Sportfan73 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Smart and Brooklyn pick for Okafor and mia pick.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,959

Post#10 » by Domejandro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:Smart and Brooklyn pick for Okafor and mia pick.

No! Just keep Okafor, you guys finally have something good going there. :lol:
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#11 » by R-DAWG » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:04 pm

be careful with how you value the Brooklyn pick. The last 2 years they have gotten off to slow starts and have been one of the hottest teams in the league down the stretch. That pick can easily become #7 or #8. You don't trade Okafor for a pick until after the lotto when your 100% sure where the pick will fall.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#12 » by jowglenn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Yes it could be done on draft night too - wherever the Brooklyn pick is, as long as it's not top 1, you can make an okafor-for-pick(s) package somehow. Even if Brooklyn picks it up and only has the 6th pick, you package that with another bunch of picks and that could be attractive to Hinkie. He feeds on picks. It's his lifeblood.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#13 » by Foshan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:12 am

Not moving Oak.

If we can just get a PG/SG (Draft/FA/Trade whatever) who can get him the ball and consistently capitalize off of his passing out of a double, and he becomes a much more scary player.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#14 » by Smitty731 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:08 am

Basically it comes down to a chance at Simmons for Okafor. I'd have to think long and hard about that. Simmons could be a once in a lifetime type of talent. Guys that big and long just don't usually handle the ball and pass like he does. He's like a better version of Lamar Odom.

Man this made me think. Still making me think actually. I'm not sure what I would do, because l really like Okafor too. He's already a very good offensive big. And he has an idea on defense. I think in the right scheme, he could be a passable defender too.

Really good question.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#15 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:11 am

Hinkie says yes, Celtics say no
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,134

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Hinkie says yes, Celtics say no

Which is crazy. The chances of the Celtics getting a better player than Okafor with that pick are what? Maybe 20%?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#17 » by the_process » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Don't see the Sixers moving Okafor. Noel? Possibly. And as mentioned in the other thread, the best deal that Boston gets is Noel, the MIA pick, and the OKC pick for Smart and the BKN pick. I don't expect Boston to accept that, but that's their cost.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,868

Post#18 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:28 pm

oyoyer wrote:Don't see the Sixers moving Okafor. Noel? Possibly. And as mentioned in the other thread, the best deal that Boston gets is Noel, the MIA pick, and the OKC pick for Smart and the BKN pick. I don't expect Boston to accept that, but that's their cost.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Noel is the most overrated player on RealGM.

If Ainge trades the Brooklyn pick it will be for an established NBA go-to scorer in his prime.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#19 » by BullyKing » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
Noel is the most overrated player on RealGM.

If Ainge trades the Brooklyn pick it will be for an established NBA go-to scorer in his prime.

Is it possible Ainge does not value the Brooklyn pick as much as we all do? That rumored package to the Hornets included one of the Brooklyn picks (not clear 16 or 18) in addition to a couple other firsts to get Winslow - not exactly an established NBA go-to scorer in his prime.

I think Ainge might be anxious to win sooner more than we expect and is willing to trade some of those picks to try and make it happen. I'm not advocating that he should trade it for Noel or anyone in particular, just think he might value the BKN pick less than RealGM (where 1sts are guaranteed future stars - criticism applies to me as well).
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,868

Post#20 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:49 pm

The focus has been on Simmons but this draft has 4-5 guys who could be better than Okafor and 10-15 guys who could be better than Noel. And it looks as though the Brooklyn pick will be top 5. Also, draft picks are more valuable now given the new cap.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Trades and Transactions