Huge Westbrook blockbuster w/ BOS, POR, and possibly Nets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

VIPER8382
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Huge Westbrook blockbuster w/ BOS, POR, and possibly Nets 

Post#1 » by VIPER8382 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 9:47 pm

Thunder Receive: CJ McCollum, Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Mason Plumlee, Kelly Olynyk, 2016 Nets 1st (unprotected), $16.7 Million TPE (Westbrook), Another pretty large TPE (Kanter)

Thunder Trade: Russell Westbrook, Enes Kanter, Kyle Singler, Anthony Morrow, Mitch McGary

Thunder Depth:
Bradley (16) / Thomas (32) / Payne (lots of minutes when leads are big, otherwise depth)
McCollum (32) / Bradley (16) / Waiters (depth)
Durant (36) / Roberson (12)
Ibaka (32) / Olynyk (16) / Collison (depth)
Adams (28) / Plumlee (20) / Collison (depth)

Thunder Summary: The Thunder trade a top 5 player in the NBA for a package that improves financial flexibility with young role players and emerging stars and gives them a much more balanced roster around their other top 5 player in Durant. Additionally they get the lottery ticket that is the 2016 unprotected Nets 1st. I think this team would be better this year (if they could somehow gel quickly) and certainly much better moving forward when a top pick and free agents are added, of course that is as long as Durant stays.

Celtics Receive: Russell Westbrook, Brook Lopez, Kyle Singler, Anthony Morrow

Celtics Trade: Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk, David Lee, 2016 Nets 1st (unprotected), 2016 BOS 1st (top 3 protected for 16, better of Nets or Celtics in 17 if not conveyed in 16), 2018 Nets 1st (unprotected)

Celtics Summary: The Celtics finally cash in their chips for a top 5 player in Westbrook and a solid center in Lopez who much like Illgauskas before him is showing signs that foot problems are a thing of the past after having the same procedure done that turned Illgauskas into an ironman. They give up a lot here, but retain a lot of talented players along with a few more assets to try to finish out the roster around their new superstar.

Trailblazers Receive: Mitch McGary, David Lee, 2016 BOS 1st (top 3 protected for 16, better of Nets or Celtics in 17 if not conveyed in 16), 2018 Nets 1st (unprotected)

Trailblazers Trade: CJ McCollum, Mason Plumlee

Trailblazers Summary: The Blazers give up on the pursuit of the 8th seed in exchange for building an even brighter future. They jump into this deal by getting overpaid for McCollum because he seemed to be the missing piece in that OKC line up, and unlike the future picks, he can give OKC a chance to win this year.

Nets Receive: Enes Kanter

Nets Trade: Brook Lopez

Nets Summary: This trade could be left out with Boston simply keeping Kanter, but I thought this secondary flip simply made too much sense. The Nets trade the player that is better now, for the one that will be better when the Nets finally get a chance to rebuild their roster.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Re: Huge Westbrook blockbuster w/ BOS, POR, and possibly Nets 

Post#2 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Feb 3, 2016 9:51 pm

As blockbusters go it's not the worst one I've seen, but I'd rather have Westbrook.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 9:53 pm

Boston trades their entire future for a guy who can walk away after next year? I'm not all about saying guys who can be expiring have lessened value, but that is a massive risk. I love Westbrook, but if he left, the Celtics are in really bad shape.

I also hate it for the Blazers. McCollum is better than a lot of the stuff that comes in. The Nets picks are great, but no real idea where they fall.

I also don't really like it for OKC. They give up Durant's running mate, which almost assures Durant leaves. This package of guys isn't worth Westbrook. Classic quarters for a dollar trade.
VIPER8382
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#4 » by VIPER8382 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 9:57 pm

I am not a fan of any team in this deal, so I am definitely very open to constructive criticism, but keep in mind that Durant's value would likely go up with more usage as he currently ranks around 15th in the league which is far too low for him. I read that article on ESPN that broke it down how that plays with Westbrook initiating the offense are ever so slightly better on a PPP basis, but what if the entire team were built around Durant with shooters around him instead of Westbrook who teams can leave open as he is no serious 3 point threat. Then on top of it there is the unprotected 2016 Nets first, currently projected at 3rd, and could possibly become Simmons making it an absolute coup. I really like it for OKC, but don't actually expect to see Westbrook traded.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 9:59 pm

VIPER8382 wrote:I am not a fan of any team in this deal, so I am definitely very open to constructive criticism, but keep in mind that Durant's value would likely go up with more usage as he currently ranks around 15th in the league which is far too low for him. I read that article on ESPN that broke it down how that plays with Westbrook initiating the offense are ever so slightly better on a PPP basis, but what if the entire team were built around Durant with shooters around him instead of Westbrook who teams can leave open as he is no serious 3 point threat. Then on top of it there is the unprotected 2016 Nets first, currently projected at 3rd, and could possibly become Simmons making it an absolute coup. I really like it for OKC, but don't actually expect to see Westbrook traded.

Durant is somewhere between the 1st and 4th best player in the NBA depending on whose opinion you value most. His value isn't getting any higher.
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,324

Post#6 » by Zaschrona » Wed Feb 3, 2016 10:22 pm

Big risk to take on Westbrook with expiring contract next season that is IMO not worth it for Boston. No way for OKC, KD is not signing there after this. Hate it for Portland. They are better to keep McCollum together with Lillard.
SV1113
Junior
And1: 84

Post#7 » by SV1113 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 10:41 pm

take the nets out
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#8 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Feb 3, 2016 10:42 pm

VIPER8382 wrote:instead of Westbrook who teams can leave open as he is no serious 3 point threat.

Teams don't leave him open. Guys who are as quick off the bounce as him will still get coverage due to how dangerous they can be if they have a head of steam.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,130

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 10:52 pm

SV1113 wrote:take the nets out

Yeah I wouldn't trade Lopez for Kanter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#10 » by Slava » Wed Feb 3, 2016 10:56 pm

No one should trade a top 5 player for anything less than another top 5 player.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 11:05 pm

Edit: No, really its not OKish. My bad. Its just a flat no.

Smitty731 wrote:
VIPER8382 wrote:I am not a fan of any team in this deal, so I am definitely very open to constructive criticism, but keep in mind that Durant's value would likely go up with more usage as he currently ranks around 15th in the league which is far too low for him. I read that article on ESPN that broke it down how that plays with Westbrook initiating the offense are ever so slightly better on a PPP basis, but what if the entire team were built around Durant with shooters around him instead of Westbrook who teams can leave open as he is no serious 3 point threat. Then on top of it there is the unprotected 2016 Nets first, currently projected at 3rd, and could possibly become Simmons making it an absolute coup. I really like it for OKC, but don't actually expect to see Westbrook traded.

Durant is somewhere between the 1st and 4th best player in the NBA depending on whose opinion you value most. His value isn't getting any higher.

This.

Slava wrote:No one should trade a top 5 player for anything less than another top 5 player.

And this.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#12 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 11:43 pm

Nothing but no really needs to be said. I don't know why anyone would even think proposing a Westbrook trade is worthwhile.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,077

Post#13 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 2:00 am

This is awful I have to strongly disagree with the first two Thunder posters. A couple mediocre starters, bench players, and a pick that could be amazing and could be meh in an okay draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#14 » by Maple Green » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:52 am

awful for celtics, we have Isiah Thomas no need Westbrook in Boston
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 5:19 am

Maple Green wrote:awful for celtics, we have Isiah Thomas no need Westbrook in Boston

You've got to be kidding me.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 5:20 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:This is awful I have to strongly disagree with the first two Thunder posters. A couple mediocre starters, bench players, and a pick that could be amazing and could be meh in an okay draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said no :D.

Yeah, value isn't great. I'm editing my other post, was trying to be nice earlier.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#17 » by BleedGreen1989 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 1:03 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Maple Green wrote:awful for celtics, we have Isiah Thomas no need Westbrook in Boston

You've got to be kidding me.

LOL hey you know, they have legalized recreational marijuana in Portland, Maine.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,802

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Feb 4, 2016 2:42 pm

Yeah the fact that Westbrook has higher usage is quite intentional by Donovan. When Westbrook has the ball teams have to stick right on Durant leaving Westbrook more room to attack and he is the best drive and kick guy in the entire league. Durant's ability to play off ball and the attention he demands off-ball makes it work.

And its not like Durant is hurting for touches--19FGA 7 FTA, 5 assists, 3 TO's means Durant is ending a ton of possessions as well.

The team is winning at an elite level, and has an elite offense. They don't need to split KD and Westbrook--they do need to add at least one more impact defender tho.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#19 » by Warriorfan » Thu Feb 4, 2016 2:50 pm

Westbrook only gets traded if Durant leaves. In that case Rental Westbrook will not net much more than a top prospect , large exp. and a pick from probably an LA team.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Post#20 » by Reign23 » Thu Feb 4, 2016 3:41 pm

you usually don't trade a top 7 player but the return is just nuts. two 20+ scorers, a nice d and 3 guy and a top 5 pick is incredible, think I would do it.
formerly known as knickst4pe

Return to Trades and Transactions