Ryan Anderson and Evans to Detroit

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

stevenDXM
Sophomore
And1: 26

Ryan Anderson and Evans to Detroit 

Post#1 » by stevenDXM » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:08 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Detroit trades: Illyasova, Jennings, Dinwiddie, Hilliard, 2016 First
Detroit receives: Ryan Anderson, Tyreke Evans

Pistons fill the hole left at SG while KCP recovers and improves their four, obviously hoping to re-sign Anderson. I assume that Evans can also play backup PG, and will be a decent replacement of Jennings when Pope returns.

New Orleans trades: Ryan Anderson, Tyreke Evans
New Orleans receives: Illyasova, Jennings, Dinwiddie, Hilliard, Lottery Protected 2016 First

New Orleans calls it a year, receives a first for doing so, improves their own draft position, gets a look at two decent players guys who they could cut ties with at the end of the year, and gets a couple of middling prospects.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Re: Ryan Anderson and Evans to Detroit 

Post#2 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:12 pm

It's not unreasonable, but Anderson is a rental and Tyreke has one year to run after this one. If feels like a first and marginal prospects for a playoff run.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,685

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:23 pm

I think the Pelicans could get more value back dealing Anderson and Evans. I would think you could get a non-lotto first for each of them if you traded them individually.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:49 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I think the Pelicans could get more value back dealing Anderson and Evans. I would think you could get a non-lotto first for each of them if you traded them individually.

The term "non-lotto first" casts an awfully wide net. Picks in the late twenties are quite different than picks in the late teens. Detroit's figures to be in the latter and you aren't getting one of those for one of these guys individually.
Texas Chuck

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:51 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I think the Pelicans could get more value back dealing Anderson and Evans. I would think you could get a non-lotto first for each of them if you traded them individually.

The term "non-lotto first" casts an awfully wide net. Picks in the late twenties are quite different than picks in the late teens. Detroit's figures to be in the latter and you aren't getting one of those for one of these guys individually.

I think either guy is worth pick #16.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
stevenDXM
Sophomore

Post#6 » by stevenDXM » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:01 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
I think either guy is worth pick #16.

I could see Anderson being worth #16 to a team on the cusp of the playoffs if he were signed for a few more years or to a team well over the salary cap who needs his bird rights and is confident he'll re-sign next year if the team thinks he's the missing piece to championship contention.

To my knowledge none of the teams that will be around #16 will be capped out to start the offseason. I have a hard time seeing a team that will have space in the offseason giving up a first rounder for him this year.

I disagree that Evans is worth #16, but agree that both together are, which is why I thought it was a good trade for both teams and proposed it.
Texas Chuck

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:12 pm

steven,

That's a solid response. I tend to think the Trade Board undervalues rentals. But I'd agree he's more valuable to a team without cap space or that is closer to actual contention than Detroit.

And Evans is tougher because his game is so unique and the injury concern is there. But he's good value on his contract and can do a lot of things for a team. I think his game is best suited to be a 6th man where he can have the ball in his hands a lot.

And frankly i don't find non-lotto firsts to be that valuable. Obviously you can find some great players with those picks, but that is by far the exception.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#8 » by rmfc » Fri Feb 5, 2016 4:30 pm

I like this trade a lot for the Pistons. They get to fix 2 issues with one trade.
Tyreke can run the pick-n-roll extremely well and Anderson would just be the type of PF that SVG adores. I also don't have any concerns with Anderson's re-signing with Detroit. I'm pretty sure he loves and will love playing for SVG.
As long as there is lotto protection on the pick, I think this is a good trade from Pistons perspective.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#9 » by Kilo » Fri Feb 5, 2016 5:27 pm

Reduce the protection on the pick to basically ensure Pellies get it this draft, barring Pistons winning the lotto. So maybe make it a top 3 protection or something. Detroit could narrowly miss the playoffs - get the 14th or 13th pick and Pellies have to wait until next season when their rebuild would have to be now and Pistons should be better next season as the young team matures. To lower the protection I'd want to take out one of Hillard or Dinwiddie.

Ilyasova is far from chopped liver in the value he adds to the trade. He's a rotation player in the league, and has a 400K buyout for next season's contract or is on the books for 8.4M in the last year of his deal for the 2016-2017 season. He could be the poor man's Ryno for the Pellies, basically used in the same way they use Anderson now while they retool around Davis with their high lotto pick as ours which should be in the 12-17 range.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#10 » by Euphonetiks » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:18 pm

There are areas of value that a Ryan trade creates that goes beyond a playoff run this year:

(1) Recruiting & Evaluation - This is most important. You are going into the craziest offseason in memory and the talent pool is very shallow. You are not going to get someone to sign with your team by simply throwing money around since everyone will have money. You get half a season to see how Ryan fits your system and your other players before you offer him a big contract. And you get to spend 40 games negotiating with his agent and selling him on your team/city. He would be much more likely to resign with a team in that scenario.

(2) Cap space - not just for teams over the cap, but also his caphold is only $12.75M whereas he will get a contract in excess of that. For some teams, the lower caphold + bird rights may allow them to sign another big contract and then sign Ryan. If his figure is $16M/yr not that big of a deal, but if it is $18M/yr then you get an additional $5M in capspace.

I feel like to several GM's #1 would be worth more than a mid to late pick which more likely than not ends up a bust or role player in several years.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#11 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm on board if we lower the protection to Top 8 or so and get to keep Hilliard. Otherwise full Lottery protected first.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,751

Post#12 » by theBigLip » Fri Feb 5, 2016 8:42 pm

I wouldn't trade #16 for Anderson. Pistons are NOT trying to win it all this year - they are building their core for the future and they can just sign Anderson in this soon-to-be-very-crazy offseason. Jennings and a second? Sure. But nothing of real value. Patience.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#13 » by Euphonetiks » Sat Feb 6, 2016 4:57 am

If Detroit doesn't trade for Ryan and then sell him on the city/team, they won't sign him this offseason unless they give him a max offer and no one else comes close. He is not a Detroit guy and values quality of life. The connection with your coach is not going to draw him to Detroit.
GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,252

Post#14 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 6, 2016 6:14 pm

If there was a way the Pistons could include Jodie Meeks it would be a lot easier to swallow giving up the 1st round pick. Meeks could replace Gordon next year since it looks like he's gone. What is the reason for including Jennings? Isn't NO pretty solid at PG with Cole & Holiday?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#15 » by Laimbeer » Sat Feb 6, 2016 7:34 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:If Detroit doesn't trade for Ryan and then sell him on the city/team, they won't sign him this offseason unless they give him a max offer and no one else comes close. He is not a Detroit guy and values quality of life. The connection with your coach is not going to draw him to Detroit.

Not sure what you mean by this.
504ByrdGang
Junior
And1: 252

Post#16 » by 504ByrdGang » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:22 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:If Detroit doesn't trade for Ryan and then sell him on the city/team, they won't sign him this offseason unless they give him a max offer and no one else comes close. He is not a Detroit guy and values quality of life. The connection with your coach is not going to draw him to Detroit.

He likes a city with culture and that's lively
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#17 » by Laimbeer » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:26 pm

504ByrdGang wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

He likes a city with culture and that's lively

Plenty of culture in Detroit and a lot going on.
stevenDXM
Sophomore

Post#18 » by stevenDXM » Sat Feb 6, 2016 10:42 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Plenty of culture in Detroit and a lot going on.

Not too much in Auburn Hills though. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Return to Trades and Transactions