LaVine for Noel - Who Says No?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who Says No?

Wolves
12%
Sixers
73%
Both
6%
Neither
9%

Total votes: 66

Northern hoops
Senior
And1: 217

LaVine for Noel - Who Says No? 

Post#1 » by Northern hoops » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:34 pm

Straight up.

Minnesota gets a big that fits well with Towns

Sixers get a better fit for their team moving forward
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Re: LaVine for Noel - Who Says No? 

Post#2 » by Sixersftw » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:38 pm

No disrespect to lavine or the wolves but this would be pretty terrible for the sixers.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:38 pm

Both say no, but Noel has more value.

Sixersftw wrote:No disrespect to lavine or the wolves but this would be pretty terrible for the sixers.

This. As a wolves fan, I wouldn't trade for Noel but it is obvious Noel has more value than LaVine, and to be honest, it is disrespectful to Noel to compare the two at this point with regards to value.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#4 » by patman52 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:38 pm

Sixers can get more than Levine for a rim protecting center. Talent wise it is close, but point guards are easier to come by than defensive bigs.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#5 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:39 pm

Sixers. Noel is more valuable and they need a PG more than anything.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#6 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:40 pm

bondom34 wrote:Sixers. Noel is more valuable and they need a PG more than anything.

LaVine is a PG... :crazy:

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Sixers. Noel is more valuable and they need a PG more than anything.

Is he really? Or is he a SG playing PG? Because that seems to be the case.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:52 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

He is a 20 year old without a competent head coach who has made great strides as a point guard.
2015: 24 AST%, 20.4 TOV%, 22 USG%
2016: 24 AST%, 13.5 TOV%, 26 USG%

He is a Point Guard that can score, like a younger Russell Westbrook, you may be familiar with him :D

Compare him to a 20 Year Old Westbrook
27.5 AST%, 17.6 TOV%, 26 USG%, 49 TS%, 0.1 OWS, 99 oRTG, 8.4 AST/100
24 AST%, 13.5 TOV%, 26 USG%, 53 TS%, .8 OWS (Halfway through season), 101 oRTG, 6.8 AST/100

Do you remember when everyone said "Westbrook is a 2 trying to play PG, he isn't a PG", well everyone is saying that about LaVine, but if you actually watch LaVine, you see a PG that can score, not a SG that can distribute.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:55 pm

Colbinii wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

He is a 20 year old without a competent head coach who has made great strides as a point guard.
2015: 24 AST%, 20.4 TOV%, 22 USG%
2016: 24 AST%, 13.5 TOV%, 26 USG%

He is a Point Guard that can score, like a younger Russell Westbrook, you may be familiar with him :D

Compare him to a 20 Year Old Westbrook
27.5 AST%, 17.6 TOV%, 26 USG%, 49 TS%, 0.1 OWS, 99 oRTG, 8.4 AST/100
24 AST%, 13.5 TOV%, 26 USG%, 53 TS%, .8 OWS (Halfway through season), 101 oRTG, 6.8 AST/100

Do you remember when everyone said "Westbrook is a 2 trying to play PG, he isn't a PG", well everyone is saying that about LaVine, but if you actually watch LaVine, you see a PG that can score, not a SG that can distribute.

Alright, I've heard almost every other MIN fan complaining he's not a PG and it seems like he's been better this year when he's at the 2, but I may very well be wrong there.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#10 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 5, 2016 6:57 pm

bondom34 wrote:Alright, I've heard almost every other MIN fan complaining he's not a PG and it seems like he's been better this year when he's at the 2, but I may very well be wrong there.

Hey man it wouldn't be the first time I would be wrong about assessing a player but from what I have watched, which has been quite a bit, he looks like a PG to me, an inexperience PG with no coaching at the moment, but a PG nonetheless.

You also have to take into account most Minnesota fans are comparing him to the quintessential 90's PG in Ricky Rubio.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:03 pm

Colbinii wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Alright, I've heard almost every other MIN fan complaining he's not a PG and it seems like he's been better this year when he's at the 2, but I may very well be wrong there.

Hey man it wouldn't be the first time I would be wrong about assessing a player but from what I have watched, which has been quite a bit, he looks like a PG to me, an inexperience PG with no coaching at the moment, but a PG nonetheless.

You also have to take into account most Minnesota fans are comparing him to the quintessential 90's PG in Ricky Rubio.

You've seen more of him than me, so I'd defer, he looks much better this year than last from what I've seen though which is definitely promising whatever position he is.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#12 » by Prez » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:24 pm

Lavine is in no way, shape or form a PG. It's not close either. He's a nice talent but he has terrible point guard tools.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:26 pm

Milbuck wrote:Lavine is in no way, shape or form a PG. It's not close either. He's a nice talent but he has terrible point guard tools.

This is kinda what I thought...
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#14 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:34 pm

Milbuck wrote:Lavine is in no way, shape or form a PG. It's not close either. He's a nice talent but he has terrible point guard tools.

He is a good passer with vision that lacks experience and mass to hold his own in the NBA as a Point Guard right now. I don't get what you mean by "bad point guard tools"?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:

He is a good passer with vision that lacks experience and mass to hold his own in the NBA as a Point Guard right now. I don't get what you mean by "bad point guard tools"?

This was kinda what I meant before, but he's not a great ball handler and his judgement seems questionable. I'm not overly sure that he's a great passer either but is young enough to improve.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#16 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:40 pm

bondom34 wrote:This was kinda what I meant before, but he's not a great ball handler and his judgement seems questionable. I'm not overly sure that he's a great passer either but is young enough to improve.

This makes sense. My take is he has been able to rely on his athleticism to be a basketball player and last year was a wake-up call for him. The strides he has made since last year suggest to me that he is going to continue to grow as a point guard. He is more of a combo guard right now, similar to a young westbrook, and if you expect him to be like Rubio or other pass first Point Guards you are going to be disappointed. I still believe that down the road he will be able to be a dangerous point guard with his vision/shooting abilities.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:41 pm

Colbinii wrote:
bondom34 wrote:This was kinda what I meant before, but he's not a great ball handler and his judgement seems questionable. I'm not overly sure that he's a great passer either but is young enough to improve.

This makes sense. My take is he has been able to rely on his athleticism to be a basketball player and last year was a wake-up call for him. The strides he has made since last year suggest to me that he is going to continue to grow as a point guard. He is more of a combo guard right now, similar to a young westbrook, and if you expect him to be like Rubio or other pass first Point Guards you are going to be disappointed. I still believe that down the road he will be able to be a dangerous point guard with his vision/shooting abilities.

That was exactly what I thought of him last year, and this year he's looked better. My first impression was he was a great athlete but not a great player, this year he's made strides there for sure.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#18 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:47 pm

bondom34 wrote:That was exactly what I thought of him last year, and this year he's looked better. My first impression was he was a great athlete but not a great player, this year he's made strides there for sure.

The thing is, and you were here 5/6 years ago, is we hope our prospects fulfill their full potential. Only time will tell what LaVine becomes, and more likely than not he ends up being a solid player but not a franchise, cornerstone player. That said, Noel isn't a cornerstone player either.

I will say this, LaVine needs to develop more than Noel does to live up to his potential. Both players would be great to have on a rebuilding team, and it would be fun watching LaVine get 30-36 minutes on a team where he can control the ball the entire time.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#19 » by Coeur » Fri Feb 5, 2016 7:57 pm

Lavines highest ceiling is as a pg
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#20 » by Austincys21 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 8:01 pm

Tbh I don't see Noel getting much better as LaVine has Vince Carter status IMO. I'd hold onto LaVine unless it's a desperate need. Dieng is similar to Noel in some ways. Build on Towns, Wiggins, and LaVine

Return to Trades and Transactions