BOS/DEN/ATL/PHX No major pieces

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

BOS/DEN/ATL/PHX No major pieces 

Post#1 » by Crossy2008 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 am

Everything about this trade revolves around Denver's willingness to make a deal that further stocks their draft. They don't get any great picks, basically a first in the 20's, the 31st pick, a slim potential at a lottery pick but most likely an early second this year plus a second next year, and a mid second.

I think ATL and PHX make out decent, and Boston seems to overpay a bit, but they get some serious shooting for the bench.

Boston sends out: Olynyk, Lee, Young, Bos 1st, Min 1st, Phi 2nd, Mia 2nd.
Boston gets: Korver, Teletovic, Barton

Atlanta sends out: Korver
Atlanta gets: Foye, Olynyk

Phoenix sends out: Teletovic
Phoenix gets: Hickson, Young

Denver sends out: Barton, Foye, Hickson
Denver gets: Lee, Minn 1st, Boston 1st, Philly 2nd, Heat 2nd
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,709

Re: BOS/DEN/ATL/PHX No major pieces 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:04 am

The issue for Denver is they already have so many potential picks in this draft. They really can't use another late 1st and 3 more 2nds. And its unlikely that anyone they get from those picks is better than Barton currently is.

Value is reasonably close, but its delivered in a way that isn't particularly useful for Denver. A deal like this makes a lot more sense going to a team that is really short on draft assets and young players and would appreciate a chance to add some youth to their roster. But I don't think that's Denver.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#3 » by Higgs Boston » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:08 am

These players haven't this type of value. This trade is only to waste assets for boston and get overpay for other teams.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,709

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:12 am

Higgs Boston wrote:These players haven't this type of value. This trade is only to waste assets for boston and get overpay for other teams.

If you stopped looking at every deal as automatically bad for Boston and looked a little closer at this one, I think you would feel quite differently.

The Celtics can't possibly use all these picks. You already have a bunch of moderate-level prospects on the roster and you can't possibly add 5 or 6 more of them this summer. Doing a deal that consolidates a bunch of low-level assets for cheap, proven talent is a really great idea for Boston both in terms of winning games now and value.

Now maybe you don't like these particular players and that's okay. But value-wise this is actually quite good for Boston.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#5 » by Crossy2008 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Higgs Boston wrote:These players haven't this type of value. This trade is only to waste assets for boston and get overpay for other teams.

If you stopped looking at every deal as automatically bad for Boston and looked a little closer at this one, I think you would feel quite differently.

The Celtics can't possibly use all these picks. You already have a bunch of moderate-level prospects on the roster and you can't possibly add 5 or 6 more of them this summer. Doing a deal that consolidates a bunch of low-level assets for cheap, proven talent is a really great idea for Boston both in terms of winning games now and value.

Now maybe you don't like these particular players and that's okay. But value-wise this is actually quite good for Boston.

The Celtics are also only trading one contributor for a bunch of shooters which is good in the league right now, plus this helps their three point shooting.

Denver surprisingly is not guaranteed to go into the draft with many picks. As of right now they have their first and the Rockets first and the Portland first, but if Portland slips out of the playoffs the Nuggets would only have two picks. No seconds at all.
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#6 » by username_taken » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:37 am

I'd do it, but it would definitely be painful to give up Olynyk. Only question now is if there is enough space in the rotation for these guys. But yeah, Barton as a creator off the bench plus two sharpshooters would be a welcome add.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#7 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:49 am

I can't disagree more, Olynyk might be difficult to give up but Boston makes out really good here. I don't think Denver would go for it, I'm not sure how many of those first end up actually transferring but I agree the picks coming back are going to be a late first and a bunch of seconds, And they do t really need to dump Hickson. Barton has shown to be a good scorer on a rookie contract and worth at least a mid first plus.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#8 » by patman52 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:50 am

I don't like it for Boston, we get 2 SG one who is 34YO, Barton is nice and is on a good contract, but what a logjam we have already with Hunter, Bradley and Turner. And then I rather have Olynyk over Teletovic.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#9 » by Higgs Boston » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:08 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

I think assets are important and although boston have a important quantity of assets this thing doesn't mean that the team give assets for random players.
Korver is very old and has low performance
teletovic is expiring and worse than olynyk
barton will be bench player in boston and he was FA last summer.
So, summary in mid-long term, all assets for barton. Makes no sense.
Boston can get better players in mid-long term with rather worse package as markieff.
Boston can use all of these picks if Ainge is good GM in late rounds and second rounds (he isn't at all). You can do trade-up's or draft&stash (the bests players in second rounds are basically european players or players that playing in Europe)
If boston want role/bench players should do trade with hunter, young, mickey and similar players, not with first rounds and high second rounds (sixers round is 31, almost first round)

Return to Trades and Transactions