Would you trade Anthony Davis for Karl-Anthony Towns?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 765

Re: Would you trade Anthony Davis for Karl-Anthony Towns? 

Post#61 » by lordjeff05 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:46 pm

jpatrick wrote:Yeah, to me, KAT's ceiling is prime Duncan, not AD. Both will be superstars, but KAT does so many small BBIQ things on the court already, it's incredible. I just think he'll win more as long as the organization doesn't mess things up.

This is a good example of Deron Williams logic. By that I mean "my guy is good at something so I assume that he is better at it than someone else." AD has had fantastic bbiq from the start. His ability to block shots and get steals without fouling and score without creating turnovers were well beyond his age. He was also making back cuts and finding spaces in zones that most 19 year olds do not see. So basically I'm saying KAT having high bbiq is not a differentiator.

Also, Davis' mid range game is far beyond most 22 year old bigs, so when people say KAT is a better shooter I am not sure what they mean.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#62 » by Mykhyn » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:07 am

The59Sound wrote:
pelifan wrote:
The59Sound wrote:
Wait... what?

Poor wording. But you should be able to know what I meant from context. I mean he had only been 6'11" for a few years before coming into the NBA

Not being a jerk. It just wasn't clear. That said, I'm not sure I buy the recency of his growth spurt as a factor. But I wouldn't argue how impressive his year-to-year leap was.

He was a PG/SG his whole life then he grew to become a PF and Center. He had to learn those positions. I totally buy a learning curve

I would be so happy to have either. Ultimately I probably take Towns because Davis numbers havent translated to success like they seem like they would.
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#63 » by RationalGaze » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:24 am

Cklbmk wrote:
The59Sound wrote:
pelifan wrote:
Poor wording. But you should be able to know what I meant from context. I mean he had only been 6'11" for a few years before coming into the NBA

Not being a jerk. It just wasn't clear. That said, I'm not sure I buy the recency of his growth spurt as a factor. But I wouldn't argue how impressive his year-to-year leap was.

He was a PG/SG his whole life then he grew to become a PF and Center. He had to learn those positions. I totally buy a learning curve

I would be so happy to have either. Ultimately I probably take Towns because Davis numbers havent translated to success like they seem like they would.

When your team is injured it's hard to conjure up wins. I've seen both play since I'm a UK fan and knew they would have success and it hasn't surprised me, but I sure do enjoy seeing them have monster games so in way you're drafting a surprise waiting to happen every game when it comes to these 2 guys.
I wouldn't trade Towns since I love him too much on the Wolves, but the Pels will need to shift guys to propel themselves to the playoffs, so trades are bound to happen just not involving Davis lol. I'm thinking picking up Jamal in the draft will definitely help their 2 spot and get some minutes at point as I suspect Eric to be gone and I'm not sure how they're going to handle Jrue.

A more interesting trade for me would be Anthony for Wiggins, LaVine, and Minnesota getting the 1st pick this year. Would the teams do it?
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#64 » by damecurry » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 am

EAS Law wrote:It doesn't exactly make sense. You'd trade AD for a guy that you hope will become AD and probably will become AD. So you set yourself back 2-4 years to end up in the same situation.

No.

Actually, this would make a ton of sense for NOP and a lot of teams. The pels are not in a position to contend, don't have the talent. So this would give them another 3 years of time, make them a little worse this year to ensure a top 5 pick, they can sell off their pieces for other young talent and become the most promising young team in the league, rather than the ill-defined hodge-podge they are now with no clear path to adding the pieces next to AD necessary to compete.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#65 » by spearsy23 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:31 am

SF88 wrote:I wouldn't trade Towns for Davis if I was Minnesota. Davis is extremely injury prone and is locked into the most expensive contract EVER in NBA history.

It's extremely unlikely that Davis actually plays on the most expensive contract in NBA history.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#66 » by nicnac215 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:16 am

If I'm Minny I would offer Wiggins pekovic and 2016 1st round pick unprotected for davis and the twolves have potentially the best pf/c combo since Duncan Robinson, but Davis and towns neither have yet to hit their prime.
sunevisions
Pro Prospect
And1: 107

Post#67 » by sunevisions » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:47 am

I think AD is slightly better player in their prime. But I think NO should trade AD for KAT, coz KAT have 3 more locked up year on his contract (assuming 4 years extension), which allow NO tank 2 more years to collect more assets. I am not convinced by NO current roster, and don't believe they can build as contender during AD become FA.

That's the reason why I will trade AD for KAT even I treat AD is slightly better than KAT in their prime.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#68 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:43 pm

sunevisions wrote:I think AD is slightly better player in their prime. But I think NO should trade AD for KAT, coz KAT have 3 more locked up year on his contract (assuming 4 years extension), which allow NO tank 2 more years to collect more assets. I am not convinced by NO current roster, and don't believe they can build as contender during AD become FA.

That's the reason why I will trade AD for KAT even I treat AD is slightly better than KAT in their prime.

This.

New Orleans needs to rebuild and it's much easier to do so around a 20-year-old player on a rookie contract. New Orleans could clear out the rest of their big contracts, tank for a year or 2, and set themselves up for a decade. But by keeping Davis, they pretty much condemn themselves to mediocrity because Davis is too good to let them tank for talent, but he can't carry a bad team to title contention by himself.
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#69 » by fattymcgee » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:11 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:
Also, Davis' mid range game is far beyond most 22 year old bigs, so when people say KAT is a better shooter I am not sure what they mean.

What they mean is the KAT shoots 5% better from the field, 2% better from 3pt, and 6% better on FT's. That's quite a big difference. On the shot chart KAT has higher percentages from every range except long 3pt'ers.

That's not even acknowledging the fact that KAT is 2.5 years younger and could improve on those percentages.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,045

Post#70 » by wablty » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 am

I don't think Towns is traded for anyone in the league at this point with the exception of Curry. Maybe. With AD's injury I don't think it would be a consideration for Minnesota.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#71 » by pelifan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:05 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stop comparing KATs rookie season to AD. It makes no sense. KAT has been a 6'10" monster since he was 14. I remember seeing him play AD super tough in an Olympic exhibition game after AD's freshman year at Kentucky. Meanwhile, Davis was 6'10" for all of about 2 years before coming into the league, and was a stick who needed to improve his body. He got taller, stronger, and more athletic each season. To expect a similar improvement arc for KAT is ridiculous.

That said I love KATs game. Even though AD is more uniquely gifted (this can't be argued by the way, if you try and argue with that you are wrong). KAT can play center in the NBA and AD is stuck between two positions and hasn't shown that defensive game changing ability we were promised. I think KAT has a better chance of getting there and is still on his rookie contract so we would have more of his prime. So yes I'd trade Davis for Towns, but not because Towns is better than AD. To me it's like would you trade Kevin Durant for Kawhi Leonard. Durant has so many skills and physical attributes Kawhi could only dream of but Kawhi may end up having the more impactful career due to his defensive abilities and the ability to fit with anybody.

But who knows, there is a ton AD could improve on between now and his prime years.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Post#72 » by Foye » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 am

Why would Minnesota do this?
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#73 » by KF10 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:55 am

Even when Davis' hype was an all-time high, I wasn't that impressed with him. On the other hand, when I watch KAT, the guy can straight up BALL. KAT literally has no apparent weaknesses other than lack of NBA experience and the nuisances of the game.

That being said, if I was Wolves' GM, I would probably gnaw on a Davis-for-KAT offer but I would decline it, ultimately.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#74 » by Damkac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:15 am

SF88 wrote:I wouldn't trade Towns for Davis if I was Minnesota. Davis is extremely injury prone and is locked into the most expensive contract EVER in NBA history.

Let's wait to see what kind of contract KAT will get :wink:

I would trade AD for KAT mostly because of his injuries. As a rookie KAT is better than AD was but it's not certain he will improve as much. Who will be better player in his prime is still a mistery.
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#75 » by WolvesGuy14 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:32 pm

KAT has the highest trade value in the league at the moment. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#76 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:03 pm

This should have definitely had a pole. I think its Kat and its not really that close. He is one of the best players i've seen come in the league since LeBron. He is definitely going to get better and I think long term is a better fit at Center than Anthony Davis who from what i've heard has shown an unwillingness to play the position. The fact that Kat already shoots better as one poster before has already outlined, and is already more grown into his body than Anthony, I don't even want to get into Davis injury concerns the fact hes never played 70 games in his 4 seasons, or that he is about to be paid like crazy and is 2 1/2 years older it makes this an easy decision.

I think its absolutely crazy that Anthony Davis has been crowned king already. I mean 24/10 is good don't get me wrong but he doesn't really impact the game defensively as I thought he would. He still obviously has room to grow but 4 years in I expected more tbh.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#77 » by nomansland » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:03 pm

If you mean, if I were the Pelicans would I make that trade? Absolutely.

However if I were Minnesota there's no way I would.
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#78 » by DreDay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:57 pm

I would if I was the Pelicans. A simple reset switch that takes 140m or so off the books and allows you to actually try to build a good team this time.

Also I think Towns will be better, but even if they are roughly the same, or AD a bit better, its still a win for the Pelicans.
Kumar
Junior
And1: 197

Post#79 » by Kumar » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:08 am

I agree that neither team does this, but I'd say NO would be more inclined to do this trade than MN. It's a better business move, what the NBA is - a business.

To get off track here - I would absolutely love Towns and AD to pair up. Given the assets each team has, AD to MN would make most sense. Something along the lines of Wiggins, Lavine and their top selection in the 2016 draft for AD.

Towns and Davis for the next 15 years...that'd be something pretty special. :)

I'm gonna go rub one out to that idea now.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#80 » by tmorgan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:57 am

KAT has more value, as of today. Not quite as good (yet?), but more cheap years and less history of fragility.

Pretty easy choice, really. KAT is right up there in terms of hypothetical trade value with anyone in the league (when you consider cost, contract status, etc.). Curry is #1... KAT might be #2.

Return to Trades and Transactions