Market for Niko?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,357

Market for Niko? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:39 am

On the Bulls Board there is talk of whether we would trade Butler for Simmons. If we do, we keep Portis (cheap, solid back up for three years)-trade Rose and Taj. Niko looked very good towards the end of the year-his #'s are fine. So, who would want him?

I was thinking Utah for #12?
Suns for #13?
Would Boston add another shooter?-#16\
Denver?
Detroit or Orlando are possilbe

I assume there would be solid interest-offers?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,925

Re: Market for Niko? 

Post#2 » by Domejandro » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:31 am

I would offer Nikola Pekovic, Adreian Payne, and #5 for Nikola Mirotic, Mike Dunleavy, and #14. I doubt Chicago would do it, even when you dismiss the animosity between Tom Thibodeau and Gar Forman, but I'd throw it out there and see if they would bite.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#3 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:41 am

I don't think you could get a lottery pick for him. Maybe a late one if it's attached to a bad contract. I'd give up #21 for him from the Hawks but not sure if a late 1st in a weak draft is all that enticing to bulls fans.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#4 » by Spens1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:13 am

Would give up a good piece for him (outside our core 3 and the pick) but near top 10 would be pushing it
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#5 » by Dez » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:51 am

There's no reason to trade Niko for a late lottery pick let alone any of the other crap, let him develop.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#6 » by eitanr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 am

I'd think the kings throw in their pick but would need to attach Gay to it...maybe add Koufas and/or other salary and Net back niko, rose, gibson and bulls pick?
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#7 » by marcush » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:59 am

I wouldn't be giving this guy up for the rubbish in this draft after top 5. Let him develop, Ryan Andersen type upside which is a pretty serious offensive talent.
Turhan86
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#8 » by Turhan86 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:30 am

Niko, 2016 first and second rd pick for Noel and Hollis Thompson
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:34 am

pipfan wrote:On the Bulls Board there is talk of whether we would trade Butler for Simmons. If we do, we keep Portis (cheap, solid back up for three years)-trade Rose and Taj. Niko looked very good towards the end of the year-his #'s are fine. So, who would want him?

I was thinking Utah for #12?
Suns for #13?
Would Boston add another shooter?-#16\
Denver?
Detroit or Orlando are possilbe

I assume there would be solid interest-offers?

Orlando isnt an option unless we are moving Vucevic. We need more post defense, not something that Mirotic brings. From Feb on, Vucci finally seemed more comfortable with his role and Skiles system, putting up 21 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 apg, 1 bpg, in 28 mpg. If we keep him, we need a defensive PF. If we move him, then someone like Mirotic could be an option, but we would need that defensive C first.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#10 » by Drax » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:21 pm

If Chicago would be in the market for picks, i could see the Celtics interested. I'd be willing to trade the Dallas first (#16) and two second rounders (#45 and #53) for Mirotic.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#11 » by Slava » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Dez wrote:There's no reason to trade Niko for a late lottery pick let alone any of the other crap, let him develop.

He's 25 and been a professional for about 7 years, what you see is what you have.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#12 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:03 pm

I don't like Niko at all, mainly because he has Dion Waiters shot selection.

Late first.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,119

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:32 pm

Turhan86 wrote:Niko, 2016 first and second rd pick for Noel and Hollis Thompson

Not with Saric coming over this year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#14 » by aramada » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Slava wrote:
Dez wrote:There's no reason to trade Niko for a late lottery pick let alone any of the other crap, let him develop.

He's 25 and been a professional for about 7 years, what you see is what you have.

Mirotic's main problem has been inconsistency. You could argue that it's a problem newer players in this league have to deal with as they are adjusting to the speed and strength of NBA players. This tends to go away as they get in their prime.
Add to that this season's issues - new coach benches him quickly as he couldn't bench Pau (fit was poor), then the appendicitis accident that sent his body back to the frame a Euro player.
There are some concerns about his shot selection and defense, but his upside is definitely more the one of a 2 year player than a 7 year vet.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,375

Post#15 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Slava wrote:

I mean he improved his 3P% by 8 percentage points this year alone so, no, what you see is not what you get. To have made such a massive improvement from his 1st to 2nd year would suggest that he is capable of improving, because he has been improving.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,284

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:43 pm

Not trading the 12 for him. He would be redundant with Lyles who is younger and a better defender.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Slava » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:45 pm

aramada wrote:
Slava wrote:

Mirotic's main problem has been inconsistency. You could argue that it's a problem newer players in this league have to deal with as they are adjusting to the speed and strength of NBA players. This tends to go away as they get in their prime.
Add to that this season's issues - new coach benches him quickly as he couldn't bench Pau (fit was poor), then the appendicitis accident that sent his body back to the frame a Euro player.
There are some concerns about his shot selection and defense, but his upside is definitely more the one of a 2 year player than a 7 year vet.

Upside doesn't really measure consistency, it shows what a player can do at his best and how he can affect a game. We've seen Nico's best, he's a good 3 point shooter and a decent passer and rebounder for his position. At his best he might improve his 3 pt% from from the lower 30s, where he is at now to the 42%+ range which would make him an elite 3 point shooter at around 7-8 attempts per 36.

I for one don't think his shot selection is particularly bad but he is never going to be a great defender or someone who can contribute on the offensive glass which is what it will take for him to break through to a higher tier.

More importantly he's not going to be able to outlast Portis in the Bulls' starting line up and they can't play together either. So if I were Chicago, I'll try to move him for more back court help amd keep Gibson and Portis as my options at PF.
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#18 » by aramada » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Slava wrote:
aramada wrote:
Slava wrote:

Upside doesn't really measure consistency, it shows what a player can do at his best and how he can affect a game. We've seen Nico's best, he's a good 3 point shooter and a decent passer and rebounder for his position. At his best he might improve his 3 pt% from from the lower 30s, where he is at now to the 42%+ range which would make him an elite 3 point shooter at around 7-8 attempts per 36.

I for one don't think his shot selection is particularly bad but he is never going to be a great defender or someone who can contribute on the offensive glass which is what it will take for him to break through to a higher tier.

More importantly he's not going to be able to outlast Portis in the Bulls' starting line up and they can't play together either. So if I were Chicago, I'll try to move him for more back court help amd keep Gibson and Portis as my options at PF.

Mirotic shot 39% on 346 attempts this season. Post all star (exactly 1/3 of his 66 games), he shot 45%. That already makes him a very good long range shooter for his position.
I measure his upside as consistently being what he is on his good days. We talk about "flashes" for younger players, like we like to say, but Niko has shown longer stretches of being dominant.
Besides his shooting, passing, and rebounding, his most appealing characteristic for his size has been driving, attacking the basket, and going to the line.
As such, I see his upside as something along the lines of March last season, where he went to the line 7+ times and shot over 6 threes per game, for a 20ppg month. Also, he showed the ability to flat out dominate games towards the end of this season (35 pts vs NYK, 28 pts back to back @ATL and HOU, 32 pts vs. PHI...).
I still think he will ultimately be a great 6th man for a playoff team. But before that, I would allow him to start next to Noah, which should have happened this season already.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Slava » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:43 pm

aramada wrote:
Slava wrote:
aramada wrote:

More importantly he's not going to be able to outlast Portis in the Bulls' starting line up and they can't play together either. So if I were Chicago, I'll try to move him for more back court help and keep Gibson and Portis as my options at PF.

Mirotic shot 39% on 346 attempts this season. Post all star (exactly 1/3 of his 66 games), he shot 45%. That already makes him a very good long range shooter for his position.
I measure his upside as consistently being what he is on his good days. We talk about "flashes" for younger players, like we like to say, but Niko has shown longer stretches of being dominant.
Besides his shooting, passing, and rebounding, his most appealing characteristic for his size has been driving, attacking the basket, and going to the line.
As such, I see his upside as something along the lines of March last season, where he went to the line 7+ times and shot over 6 threes per game, for a 20ppg month. Also, he showed the ability to flat out dominate games towards the end of this season (35 pts vs NYK, 28 pts back to back @ATL and HOU, 32 pts vs. PHI...).
I still think he will ultimately be a great 6th man for a playoff team. But before that, I would allow him to start next to Noah, which should have happened this season already.

This is like the Lin fanbase arguing that he is the same player he was during Linsanity and ignoring everything that has happened since with a larger sample size. His career free throw rate is about 38%, which is nothing special and took a major nosedive after his rookie season. He's had one game last season where he attempted double digit free throws and he happened to play 40 minutes in that one.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,357

Post#20 » by pipfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:05 pm

The only way I want to deal him is if we somehow added Simmons-who will need to start and play big minutes at the 4. If not, Niko stays and starts at the 4 next year, no matter what.
So, Suns for the #13 doable?

Return to Trades and Transactions