Celtics/Grizzlies/Kings - Draft Night

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Celtics/Grizzlies/Kings - Draft Night 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Ill offer this idea for Celtics to grab another lottery pick while Kings and Grizzlies acquire more youthful depth.

Assumptions:
-Sacramento lands #9 pick
-Boston declines options to Johnson and Jerebko

To Boston (Trade #16, #23, #31, #35)
-#9 pick

To Memphis (Trade #17)
-#23 pick
-#35 pick

To Sacramento (Trade #9)
-#16 pick
-#17 pick
-#31 pick

Why?
Boston lands #9 to consolidate assets and give them flexibility if they want to deal the Brooklyn pick for an established player. They still have back end 2nd round picks to draft and stash if they want.

Thomas/Smart/Rozier
Bradley/#3/Hunter
Crowder/#9/Young
FA/Sullinger/Mickey
Olynyk/Zeller/#45

Memphis gains a high second round pick for trading down from #17 to #23 to build more depth.

Conley?/FA/#35
Allen/Adams/FA
Stephenson/Green/Carter
Randolph/Martin/FA
Gasol/Wright/#23

Kings gain 2 mid first and a high 2nd for #9 to fill out roster with more depth.

Collison/#16/FA
McLemore/Belinelli/FA
Gay/Casspi/#31
Stein/#17/Dukan
Cousins/Koufos/FA
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Re: Celtics/Grizzlies/Kings - Draft Night 

Post#2 » by Golabki » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:26 pm

I think Boston probably does it - although I don't get why they are dumping Johnson/Jerebko in this scenario.

I think it's plausible for Sac and the Grizz
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#3 » by cl2117 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:34 pm

I think for a trade like this you have to have an idea about who exactly the Celtics would be targeting in the trade up because otherwise why bother? Unless the intention is to combine #3 and #9 to get an established star, but then you should know who you'd be going for.

The value is ok, Sac and Memphis both could argue for more, but it's about right.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:39 pm

Golabki wrote:I think Boston probably does it - although I don't get why they are dumping Johnson/Jerebko in this scenario.

To sign or trade for a starting PF (Griffin?) if they decline $17 million in salary to Johnson and Jerebko hypothetically speaking. They could exercise both guys and trade them both for a guy like Griffin along with #3 and/or #9 as another option.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#5 » by rpa » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:57 pm

First, the Kings have the 8th pick, not the 9th (unless someone jumps them)

Second, seeing as how Curry is restricted it's not all that unlikely that he's back next year either as the starting SG, starting PG, or first guard off the bench.

Third, most Kings fans loved Acy last year (and the stint before that) and would love to have him back as the 4th (or 5th) big.

The first 2 things alone relegate at least one of the draft picks to 3rd string and the third thing could move the other pick to 5th big--and even if it's not 5th big you're talking about playing behind Cousins/Koufos/WCS. Those 3 guys alone should be racking up nearly 90 minutes a game assuming no issues (injuries, foul trouble).

Long story short, my point is that "roster depth" is something the Kings don't need. The Kings need a legit starting 2-guard above all else. I think they're far more likely to find that at 8 than at 16/17
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#6 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 pm

rpa wrote:First, the Kings have the 8th pick, not the 9th (unless someone jumps them)

Second, seeing as how Curry is restricted it's not all that unlikely that he's back next year either as the starting SG, starting PG, or first guard off the bench.

Third, most Kings fans loved Acy last year (and the stint before that) and would love to have him back as the 4th (or 5th) big.

The first 2 things alone relegate at least one of the draft picks to 3rd string and the third thing could move the other pick to 5th big--and even if it's not 5th big you're talking about playing behind Cousins/Koufos/WCS. Those 3 guys alone should be racking up nearly 90 minutes a game assuming no issues (injuries, foul trouble).

Long story short, my point is that "roster depth" is something the Kings don't need. The Kings need a legit starting 2-guard above all else. I think they're far more likely to find that at 8 than at 16/17

Well the other side of the coin is Kings use draft pick depth to fill out back end of roster rather than re-signing depth players from last season so they can commit $15 million starting salary to sign like Fournier to an offer sheet or Aron Affalo for example.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm

No interest whatsoever in moving back to acquire more depth. Either we trade the pick for help now or we stay at 8 and draft a player of need.
Jwduff
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#8 » by Jwduff » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:42 pm

I don't think the Kings adding depth is what the Kings need but the value is pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,483

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
rpa wrote:First, the Kings have the 8th pick, not the 9th (unless someone jumps them)

Well the other side of the coin is Kings use draft pick depth to fill out back end of roster rather than re-signing depth players from last season so they can commit $15 million starting salary to sign like Fournier to an offer sheet or Aron Affalo for example.

But the Kings could keep 8th/9th and trade 2k for a 2nd (maybe 35 from Boston).. Which they should with Cousins/WCS.. And then bring back Curry/Acy and be in about the same spot financially but with two players that they like and a rookie that should be better than the guy at 16. Then offer Evan, AAA, EJ, Crabbe, whoever.. The Kings have 8 players with guaranteed money next season, Butler/Anderson make that 10 if you assume they opt in.. And they want to bring back Curry and Acy.. So they really don't need more bodies - they need better bodies.

I think it costs more than 35+23 to get to 17 - cause Philly would do 24 and 26 if that's all it took but probably not too far off

Return to Trades and Transactions