Double sign & trade: Durant (OKC) & Barnes (GSW)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

prech
Junior
And1: 65

Double sign & trade: Durant (OKC) & Barnes (GSW) 

Post#1 » by prech » Sun May 1, 2016 9:13 am

I'm purely relying on Larry Coon's http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

As Barnes is a RFA with his contract up, his consent will be required.

If Durant wants to join the Dubs with a max/near-max deal, would a double S&T be feasible?

Barnes could max at $21.6M, KD can max at $25.9M at a $92M cap

Both teams would likely be taxpaying, and the $$$ difference would be within the Maximum incoming salary of 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000.

Aside from team-specific requirements with regards to additional players/talent, do the numbers match up? I've read that double S&T's tend to be messy, so I wonder if I'm missing something here

Thanks!!
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Double sign & trade: Durant (OKC) & Barnes (GSW) 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Sun May 1, 2016 9:32 am

OKC wouldn't do it. Barnes on a max isn't a good contract so the incentive isn't there. They'd just let him walk.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#3 » by giberish » Sun May 1, 2016 9:49 am

BYC still exists on S&T deal. Barnes couldn't cover that much incoming salary.

In addition to the 'why does OKC do this' issue.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,363

Post#4 » by HoopsterJones » Sun May 1, 2016 10:05 am

I would not be comfortable paying Barnes the max. He hasn't shown that he is that kind of player yet. I suspect he will get $12+ million a year though om his next contract.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#5 » by freewhitemoon » Sun May 1, 2016 10:19 am

HoopsterJones wrote:I would not be comfortable paying Barnes the max. He hasn't shown that he is that kind of player yet. I suspect he will get $12+ million a year though om his next contract.

Barnes is getting a max this offseason. And likely from a number of suitors
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,363

Post#6 » by HoopsterJones » Sun May 1, 2016 4:59 pm

freewhitemoon wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:I would not be comfortable paying Barnes the max. He hasn't shown that he is that kind of player yet. I suspect he will get $12+ million a year though om his next contract.

Barnes is getting a max this offseason. And likely from a number of suitors

Whoever he signs with for the max will regret it. His stats aren't good enough to warrant a max contract. He didn't step up while other players were out. The Warriors didn't miss a beat winning wise when Barnes was out. 11.7 ppg and 4.9 rpg equals max deal is crazy. Although Demarre Carroll got $15 million per year (and it looks bad right now). So maybe he gets $15 million a year. And it will be regrettable.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,482

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 1, 2016 8:52 pm

I'd rather cap space and a shot at Batum/Parsons than giving Barnes the max.

Now if it were something where GS is actually offering some sort of value and KD was leaving anyways, I think it could work. Something around AI+Barnes on a fair contract+Looney for KD+Singler..

I don't know GSW's contract situation well enough to know who they'd have to dump to sign KD, but if it is more than just AI+Barnes, that kind of deal would make sense. If signing Durant would cost Bogut, AI, Livingston, Mo and Ezeli's cap holds.. Then losing AI+Looney and keeping all of them would be worth it. But if it was just losing Iggy and Barnes, they'd just trade Iggy to one of the 15ish teams that would take him for cap space and keep Looney and not have to pay Singler.

And if GS can get Barnes on a fair contract (say 12-14 mil range) and Iggy+Looney while dumping KD.. It might make some sense.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#8 » by bigmean » Sun May 1, 2016 8:56 pm

barnes is not worth more then 13 million a year
prech
Junior
And1: 65

Post#9 » by prech » Sun May 1, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks, folks. I also don't think Barnes is worth a the max (TV contracts or not), but ultimately that value is decided upon by the signing team.

I'm largely just thinking of feasibility -- if KD tells OKC he's leaving and, given OKC's lack of cap space to sign some decent replacement free agents (it looks like they already have ~$76M consumed), if KD/GSW offers them the opportunity to do a double S&T, what would the mechanics involve? How much additional salary would need to be included as part of the trade? Or how much would either team have to shed to make it work?

giberish wrote:BYC still exists on S&T deal. Barnes couldn't cover that much incoming salary.

Thanks for sharing this -- I had no idea about this Base Year Compensation clause. So basically Barnes' outgoing value would be $10.8M, or 50% of his max, such that GS would need to package another ~$9M to match the numbers?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,482

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 1, 2016 9:20 pm

prech wrote:I'm largely just thinking of feasibility -- if KD tells OKC he's leaving and, given OKC's lack of cap space to sign some decent replacement free agents (it looks like they already have ~$76M consumed),

Waiters will be renounced and Morrow's deal isn't Guaranteed, they are at 65.9 mil with 10 guys, one min hold makes it 67. So 25 mil to offer Batum, Parsons, Demar. And I think I'd even rather Evan than Barnes. I personally would look at the cost of trading for Gay or Melo before signing Barnes to a max deal. But that's more because I think Barnes should be getting 10-12 mil and someone will regret giving him a max.

And I guess if KD stays, Waiters could be brought back since the players like Waiters and the team will be over the cap anyways. But if KD leaves, cap space is more valuable than him.

prech wrote:if KD/GSW offers them the opportunity to do a double S&T, what would the mechanics involve? How much additional salary would need to be included as part of the trade? Or how much would either team have to shed to make it work?

With the numbers you listed it looks like KD for Barnes+AI is legal. But OKC would rather cap space than that deal. At least I'd rather cap space if I were.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#11 » by Prokorov » Mon May 2, 2016 5:46 pm

okc would be dumb to do this... they lose durant and then double dow n by overpaying a role player with star money

Return to Trades and Transactions