Rocket/Celtics

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Rocket/Celtics 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 19, 2016 2:52 pm

MDA is currently the favorite to get the Rockets job. Let's say he gets it. I don't think he's going to want a center with such limited offensive game and we know the Rockets intend to go heavy after Horford. So there is a deal to be made here imo.

Clint Capela

for

Kelly Olynyk
2018 Bos 1st (top 10 protected, top 8, top 6, 2 2nds)

I'm guessing here a bit on value. But the idea is that the Celtics get a young, cheap defensive center(while still pursuing a veteran in FA mind you) and the Rockets get a young, cheap, skilled big with range, a mid-1st to target maybe Tyler Ulis and a future 1st in exchange for a guy MDA might not want to play

If you feel my value is way off, please offer some corrections on that--or let me know if you think the idea itself is flawed.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Re: Rocket/Celtics 

Post#2 » by Curmudgeon » Thu May 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Overpay by Boston.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#3 » by Rockazoids » Thu May 19, 2016 3:32 pm

I think it's flawed because I don't think Clint is worth 2 picks.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,283

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:34 pm

I think it is a slight overpay, but I think worth the gamble for celtics. I would consider it for sure. Cappella has high potential no doubt.

wonder what Rockets would think of this from a value standpoint. I would guess they are pretty attached to Capella with pending Howard free agency.
Sign here
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#5 » by Golabki » Thu May 19, 2016 3:48 pm

I think it's more palatable to the celtics if that pick is the 2016 Celtics pick.

I'm pretty high on Capella and I'm a celtics fan that would be happy about that.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#6 » by Curmudgeon » Thu May 19, 2016 3:58 pm

If the Rocets hire D'Antoni, Olynyk is a much better fit than Capela. Boston's 2018 first is the most I would add to the package.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#7 » by Slava » Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Capela will start at center and be the roll man in a D'Antoni pick and roll offense so I'm not sure why Houston are trading him for Olynyk of all people when they already have a better version in D-Mo.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#8 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Slava wrote:Capela will start at center and be the roll man in a D'Antoni pick and roll offense so I'm not sure why Houston are trading him for Olynyk of all people when they already have a better version in D-Mo.

Have to agree with this. Capela looks like a very good player and he could fit next to Horford and pick up the tougher matchup. I get Boston is giving up 2 picks but with #16 you hope to get a player like Capela and given that Boston looks to only get better than 2018 pick is likely to be late as well.

Not saying the value is bad just don't see Houston giving up Capela especially pre free agency.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,135

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:50 pm

With Dwight's bags packed, I don't think Houston can trade Capela. Even a MDA offense can't score enough to win with no rim protection.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#10 » by Smitty731 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 pm

I don't think Capela fits what Boston needs their bigs to do. He can't pass or shoot with range. Both things are important in the Celtics system.

And I do think he's going to be very good if D'Antoni does end up the Rockets coach. Well, he'll be good either way, but he has the chance to be good right away under D'Antoni.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#11 » by Curmudgeon » Thu May 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Why do people think that Capela will be a better player in D"Antoni's system than Dwight Howard was?

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#12 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu May 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I don't think Capela fits what Boston needs their bigs to do. He can't pass or shoot with range. Both things are important in the Celtics system.

And I do think he's going to be very good if D'Antoni does end up the Rockets coach. Well, he'll be good either way, but he has the chance to be good right away under D'Antoni.

Is the Celtics' system what it is because Stevens wants it that way, or because of the roster as currently constructed? You have a bunch of guards and wings without consistent range and a frontcourt full of power forwards who can shoot. I'd be shocked if the team doesn't look a fair bit different next year.

And I agree that Capela will be quite good under D'Antoni. He's looking like a sleeper from that draft class.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#13 » by Smitty731 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:15 pm

dbrandon wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:I don't think Capela fits what Boston needs their bigs to do. He can't pass or shoot with range. Both things are important in the Celtics system.

Is the Celtics' system what it is because Stevens wants it that way, or because of the roster as currently constructed? You have a bunch of guards and wings without consistent range and a frontcourt full of power forwards who can shoot. I'd be shocked if the team doesn't look a fair bit different next year.

And I agree that Capela will be quite good under D'Antoni. He's looking like a sleeper from that draft class.

Stevens wants bigs with range and the ability to move the ball with passing, especially finding cutters. Huge part of the way the offense is structured. Basic design is to pull opposing bigs away from the hoop as much as possible.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#14 » by cl2117 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:27 am

I've always been a fan of Capela, I'm a sucker for long athletic rim protectors, but I would have no idea where to start pegging his value. I'd love to get this topic back to life just to get more consensus on what he's worth.

For me on the face of it, this seems like too much. After last year's playoffs I thought Capela was going to break out this year, but he seemed to disappear a bit in the second half. He's got great tools, great athleticism, but I just don't know what to project him as.

He's much better than each individual piece Boston would be trading for him, but putting them together and it feels too much. Olynyk is less useful positionally, but has at least shown he can be a roleplayer in the NBA. At #16 you're hoping you can get a guy like Capela, but it's hit or miss. The 2018 Celtics should hopefully be better than the 2016 Celtics so that's a pick in the 20s. Still though adding them altogether it feels like too much, yet I can also see it being spot on.

So after much waffling I'd be tempted, but I think I'd rather take a chance on one of the C's in this draft who I think could end up like Capela (Stone/Diallo/Jones/Maker) and keep Kelly and the pick. Definitely tempting though.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#15 » by BadWolf » Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 am

I'd do 16 and KO, wouldn't include another pick.
Capela is nice, but has some issues (free throws).
Would he improve Celtics over Amir?
Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#16 » by Fattz » Sun May 22, 2016 5:59 pm

As a Rocket fan...
Capela
For
Olynyk 16 / 31 / 35

Boston gets their man and Rockets mine for gems in this flat draft. DM can find 2nd rounders --> 2 of the 4 (our 2) will be rotation players in 2 years, DM is just that good. There is no way Boston can keep and develope 6 rookies. Where Houston needs to push the reset button. It cost us our future big but, we get a stop gap in KO, till something better develops. With KO and DMo there should be spacing & more spacing for the Harden show.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#17 » by RightToCensor » Sun May 22, 2016 7:10 pm

No. Capela is near untouchable unless we get sent back a really good big or a lottery pick in a good draft.
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#18 » by Crossy2008 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Question and if someone wants to post a poll asking the question I would appreciate it.

Who has more value? Nerlens Noel? or Clint Capela?

They are essentially the same age. They are similar in what they offer on the court. Noel is a lot better free throw shooter, but that should be less of an issue going forward.

It seems when it comes to trades, Noel gets a lot more value than Capela, but to me there isn't a big difference.
Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#19 » by Fattz » Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 pm

RightToCensor wrote:No. Capela is near untouchable unless we get sent back a really good big or a lottery pick in a good draft.

Really why? This is fair if any thing a little of an over pay. The Rockets are in transition --> yes Capela is a nice player but we are a miss and if he can turn into 2 or 3 rotation players it is a must do. We are not a player away we are a very broken team that needs role players and more role players. This is our draft, IMO. From 7 to mid 30s are all the same tear players --> role players with solid but limited upside. We don't need a bunch of first rounders with their contracts when the same type of player can be had for 3M / 3yrs with team options if It doesn't work out. Capela help Boston here and now, but this trade helps the Rockets till 2019 or longer. It is the right move, maybe not an headline move but the right one for both teams.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#20 » by ken6199 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:04 am

Yeah, even as a Rockets fan I don't think Capela is worth those 2 2nd round picks. However putting him into MDA's system he will thrive. With Howard pretty much gone, I wouldn't say that's an overpay in this context.

Kudos to Slava for pointing out DMo. DMo will be re-signed IMO and it's a bit pointless to have KO on the same team. Need insurance? Might as well go for David Lee for less money (and cap hold).
RealGM loves you, Melissa.

Return to Trades and Transactions