Harrison Barnes for Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (S&T)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Harrison Barnes for Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (S&T) 

Post#1 » by BleedGreen1989 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Brooklyn grabs a "centerpiece" type player and GS takes RHJ with plenty of shooting to compensate for Rondae's lack of a shot.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Re: Harrison Barnes for Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (S&T) 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat May 28, 2016 8:12 pm

Seems reasonable
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,547

Post#3 » by nomansland » Sat May 28, 2016 8:17 pm

If I were Brooklyn the last thing I'd be doing is trying to add expensive pieces right now. I'd be shedding salary and looking for as many draft picks as possible.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,227

Post#4 » by Papi_swav » Sat May 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Na
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by BleedGreen1989 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Na

For who? And why?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Sat May 28, 2016 8:44 pm

I like RHJ better then Barnes and he's cheaper, This should be a pass for Brooklyn.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,227

Post#7 » by Papi_swav » Sat May 28, 2016 8:46 pm

I rather keep RHJ, seems to have a lot of potential on the defensive side. Barnes have not done much in these playoffs and wouldn't want to be the team that pays him max.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#8 » by patman52 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Yeah, I have no idea why Bkn does this, (although as a celtic fan I would like it) If he is willing to go to BKN why would Bkn do a sign and trade.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by BleedGreen1989 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 pm

patman52 wrote:Yeah, I have no idea why Bkn does this, (although as a celtic fan I would like it) If he is willing to go to BKN why would Bkn do a sign and trade.

Well the rationale behind it is GS would match the offer straight up while a S&T may make it happen.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,878

Post#10 » by tmorgan » Sat May 28, 2016 10:36 pm

Golden State is run by (arrogant) professionals. If Barnes gets a high offer, 20 mil to 23 mil, they're going to let him walk. If he'll be content with money around the level they've already offered him (4/64), he'll stay.

If Brooklyn really prefers HB to RHJ, and money isn't an issue, just offer him 4/80+ and Golden State will likely let him go for nothing. Is getting him for a few million a year cheaper really worth RHJ? No.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 pm

nomansland wrote:If I were Brooklyn the last thing I'd be doing is trying to add expensive pieces right now. I'd be shedding salary and looking for as many draft picks as possible.

Doesn't make much sense. They're like $40m under the projected cap this year, so shedding salary serves no purpose. And they can't just 'add picks' out of thin air--Lopez might get a pick or two back, no one else has value. (Also no point in tanking for better picks the next two years, since their picks go to BOS.) I get that paying Barnes and giving up RHJ seems like too much, but not for those reasons.
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#12 » by nomansland » Sun May 29, 2016 12:11 am

HotelVitale wrote:
nomansland wrote:If I were Brooklyn the last thing I'd be doing is trying to add expensive pieces right now. I'd be shedding salary and looking for as many draft picks as possible.

Doesn't make much sense. They're like $40m under the projected cap this year, so shedding salary serves no purpose. And they can't just 'add picks' out of thin air--Lopez might get a pick or two back, no one else has value. (Also no point in tanking for better picks the next two years, since their picks go to BOS.) I get that paying Barnes and giving up RHJ seems like too much, but not for those reasons.

Ok on the shedding salary part, I hear you. But they can trade guys like RHJ, Williams' (to a team looking for playoff support), Young, and Bogdanovic for picks.

Picking up Barnes just seems like a desperation move that the bad Net's management of yesteryear would have made. He's about to get overpaid just because he was lucky to play for GS, and if they took him on they'd be sorry 2 years later.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#13 » by HotelVitale » Sun May 29, 2016 12:53 am

nomansland wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Ok on the shedding salary part, I hear you. But they can trade guys like RHJ, Williams' (to a team looking for playoff support), Young, and Bogdanovic for picks. Picking up Barnes just seems like a desperation move that the bad Net's management of yesteryear would have made. He's about to get overpaid just because he was lucky to play for GS, and if they took him on they'd be sorry 2 years later.

In terms of strategy, overpaying for a young guy with some upside seems like one of their best possible moves. They have cap space, won't be getting young talent from the draft (since they don't have any picks), and they have no incentive to tank and no talent to win now. Gambling on the Eric Bledsoe/Chandler Parsons types (who might not quite deserve that RFA max) loses you almost nothing--since you have the cap space anyway and aren't getting a star with that $--and gives you a chance to get a young talent without giving anything up. I understand if you think Barnes flat-out stinks, but that's a different argument than saying 'they shouldn't add any expensive pieces' at all.

Also, those guys you mentioned won't get them meaningful picks. Young has the most talent but has 3/$40m left, Deron Williams was bought out last year (was a Dallas Maverick this entire season), and Bogdanovic isn't fetching anything worth having. It's a bleak roster.
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#14 » by nomansland » Sun May 29, 2016 4:01 am

HotelVitale wrote:
nomansland wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Doesn't make much sense. They're like $40m under the projected cap this year, so shedding salary serves no purpose. And they can't just 'add picks' out of thin air--Lopez might get a pick or two back, no one else has value. (Also no point in tanking for better picks the next two years, since their picks go to BOS.) I get that paying Barnes and giving up RHJ seems like too much, but not for those reasons.
Ok on the shedding salary part, I hear you. But they can trade guys like RHJ, Williams' (to a team looking for playoff support), Young, and Bogdanovic for picks. Picking up Barnes just seems like a desperation move that the bad Net's management of yesteryear would have made. He's about to get overpaid just because he was lucky to play for GS, and if they took him on they'd be sorry 2 years later.

In terms of strategy, overpaying for a young guy with some upside seems like one of their best possible moves. They have cap space, won't be getting young talent from the draft (since they don't have any picks), and they have no incentive to tank and no talent to win now. Gambling on the Eric Bledsoe/Chandler Parsons types (who might not quite deserve that RFA max) loses you almost nothing--since you have the cap space anyway and aren't getting a star with that $--and gives you a chance to get a young talent without giving anything up. I understand if you think Barnes flat-out stinks, but that's a different argument than saying 'they shouldn't add any expensive pieces' at all.

Also, those guys you mentioned won't get them meaningful picks. Young has the most talent but has 3/$40m left, Deron Williams was bought out last year (was a Dallas Maverick this entire season), and Bogdanovic isn't fetching anything worth having. It's a bleak roster.

Meaningful picks...they just need *picks* and some good scouting. In most drafts there's good talent to be had outside of the lottery but you can't get a shot at it if you don't have draft picks. Right now they have few draft prospects and like you said, a bleak roster. Better to at least try and get some new talent in because they're not going anywhere if they're chasing expensive, mediocre talent like Barnes for the next few years.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#15 » by HotelVitale » Sun May 29, 2016 4:17 am

nomansland wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Also, those guys you mentioned won't get them meaningful picks. Young has the most talent but has 3/$40m left, Deron Williams was bought out last year (was a Dallas Maverick this entire season), and Bogdanovic isn't fetching anything worth having. It's a bleak roster.
Meaningful picks...they just need *picks* and some good scouting. In most drafts there's good talent to be had outside of the lottery but you can't get a shot at it if you don't have draft picks...

Guess I should rephrase: what you're suggesting as a 'strategy' amounts to hoping and praying Thaddeus Young can land you a late late first. Aside from him and Young (and RHJ), no one on the roster has a chance in hell of getting you a 1st of any sort. Probably not even a 2nd, definitely not a higher 30-40 second.

At that point you can just buy a pick for a million or two, since you're just taking wild shots at getting any value. By my rough estimate, there's about 1 guy every two years that's worthy of NBA rotations chosen after pick #45. That's a 3.5% chance of success. Worth trying, sure, but it's not a 'rebuilding strategy.'
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#16 » by Coxy » Sun May 29, 2016 6:26 am

Golden State takes this absolutely in a heart beat.

No idea why Brooklyn would do it, but there have been worse idea's come to fruition in the past.
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#17 » by DeRoma » Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

HotelVitale wrote:
nomansland wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Also, those guys you mentioned won't get them meaningful picks. Young has the most talent but has 3/$40m left, Deron Williams was bought out last year (was a Dallas Maverick this entire season), and Bogdanovic isn't fetching anything worth having. It's a bleak roster.
Meaningful picks...they just need *picks* and some good scouting. In most drafts there's good talent to be had outside of the lottery but you can't get a shot at it if you don't have draft picks...

Guess I should rephrase: what you're suggesting as a 'strategy' amounts to hoping and praying Thaddeus Young can land you a late late first. Aside from him and Young (and RHJ), no one on the roster has a chance in hell of getting you a 1st of any sort. Probably not even a 2nd, definitely not a higher 30-40 second.

At that point you can just buy a pick for a million or two, since you're just taking wild shots at getting any value. By my rough estimate, there's about 1 guy every two years that's worthy of NBA rotations chosen after pick #45. That's a 3.5% chance of success. Worth trying, sure, but it's not a 'rebuilding strategy.'

not necessarily. Bojan plus money can get you a late first or an early second. Jarrett Jack partially guaranteed contract can get you a good pick with a taking in contract. There plenty of ways to be creative. Only thing is you aren't getting a lottery pick unless you are giving in RHJ, Lopez, or maybe young.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,069

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:37 am

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
patman52 wrote:Yeah, I have no idea why Bkn does this, (although as a celtic fan I would like it) If he is willing to go to BKN why would Bkn do a sign and trade.

Well the rationale behind it is GS would match the offer straight up while a S&T may make it happen.

Can't see it. Barnes isn't the better player. Now if GS was interested in Thad Young in a S&T, that might have legs but I think GS would have renounce a bunch of rights to be able to do a S&T and get under the apron.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,516

Post#19 » by 165bows » Sun May 29, 2016 12:46 pm

tmorgan wrote:Golden State is run by (arrogant) professionals. If Barnes gets a high offer, 20 mil to 23 mil, they're going to let him walk. If he'll be content with money around the level they've already offered him (4/64), he'll stay.

If Brooklyn really prefers HB to RHJ, and money isn't an issue, just offer him 4/80+ and Golden State will likely let him go for nothing. Is getting him for a few million a year cheaper really worth RHJ? No.

Yeah this is an interesting idea but RFA guys have been extremely difficult to get value for in trade.

With the cap going up people thinking they are going to trade their RFAs is pretty wishful thinking IMO.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,000

Post#20 » by R-DAWG » Sun May 29, 2016 4:16 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
nomansland wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Doesn't make much sense. They're like $40m under the projected cap this year, so shedding salary serves no purpose. And they can't just 'add picks' out of thin air--Lopez might get a pick or two back, no one else has value. (Also no point in tanking for better picks the next two years, since their picks go to BOS.) I get that paying Barnes and giving up RHJ seems like too much, but not for those reasons.

Especially a guy like Barnes who can play 3 positions, defend and hit 3's. You can always find a taker for those type of players. Of DeMarre Carroll and Wes Matthews are $15 m per year players, Barnes' market value is closer to 20.

Return to Trades and Transactions