Raptors get 3rd Option - DEN/UTAH/PHILLY

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Raptors get 3rd Option - DEN/UTAH/PHILLY 

Post#1 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sun May 29, 2016 8:49 am

Done on draft night, taking advantage of the 15-16 cap space before it rolls over.

Trade ID #6689901

TOR IN: Gallo, #19, GSW 17 First
TOR OUT: Demarre Carrol, #9, #27

The raps move down 10 spots in the draft and upgrade there SF position with an all star caliber player in Gallo replacing the disappointing DMC. Swap there late first for a future late first (in most likely a stronger draft).

DEN IN: Ingles, Chris Johnson, #9, #27
DEN OUT: Gallo, #19.

Head towards a full rebuild trading Gallo for #9. DEN now has #7, #9, #15 & #27, which should help ensure they add some good talent on the wings to complement Mudiay & their bigs. They also generate a sizable T.E which may have some value down the line.

PHI IN: Trey Burke, Pleiss
PHI OUT: nothing.

Get a look at Trey, the cost is taking on Pleiss for 1 year $3 million.

UTAH IN: Demarre Carrol
UTAH OUT: Trey Burke, Pleiss, Ingles, Chris Johnson, GSW 17 First

Essentially use their capspace and a future first they have from GS to take on DMC. He played well last time in UTAH, and now that he shoots the 3 more regularly, he will be a good fit as a 3 & D forward.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,610

Re: Raptors get 3rd Option - DEN/UTAH/PHILLY 

Post#2 » by nomansland » Sun May 29, 2016 11:17 am

For Denver this is basically Gallo and #19 for #9. They don't need all of those superfluous pieces. They get the worst end of the deal and I don't see it happening.

Toronto effectively gets Gallo for Carroll. Awesome deal for them.

And Utah gets Carroll for Burke and some other random pieces. Pretty good deal for them too.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#3 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun May 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Is Gallo that much better than Carroll to warrant us dropping down 10 spots in the draft?
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#4 » by The Rebel » Sun May 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Is Gallo that much better than Carroll to warrant us dropping down 10 spots in the draft?

Talk about underrating Gallo, Carroll was in Denver 4 years ago and did not even come close to beating out Chandler who has never been able to beat out Gallo for starter. Gallinari is clearly better.

I don't see Denver trading Gallo and the 19th for the 9th.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,776

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 29, 2016 1:11 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Is Gallo that much better than Carroll to warrant us dropping down 10 spots in the draft?

Talk about underrating Gallo, Carroll was in Denver 4 years ago and did not even come close to beating out Chandler who has never been able to beat out Gallo for starter. Gallinari is clearly better.

Gallo is definitely better and this deal certainly doesn't make sense for Denver.

But assuming Derozan is coming back, you could argue that DMC is a better fit than Gallo considering the needs/makeup of that roster. I mean value-wise its a no-brainer for the Raps, but I think they'd be better served using their assets differently.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#6 » by Troubadour » Sun May 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Carroll's only flaw is the injury concerns he had this year. Gallo's injury history is far worse.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#7 » by dalton749 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Not worth it all all. Toronto is better of with demarre at the 3 as long as this lebron guy plays in the east.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#8 » by Winglish » Sun May 29, 2016 4:07 pm

I cannot think of a reason for Toronto to do this deal unless they just want to unload Carroll's salary. I love it for Utah but that salary does make me pause to wonder if the Jazz really want DeMarre at that price.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,718

Post#9 » by the_process » Sun May 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Cut Utah and Philly.

DEN gets Ross and 9
TOR gets Gallo

The injuries decimate Gallo's value. And considering the risk involved, Denver would be wise to cash out while they can.

Toronto gives up some value, but hope with managed minutes and games off they can get Gallo through the rest of his contract maintaining a decent level.
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Post#10 » by torotoe » Sun May 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Troubadour wrote:Carroll's only flaw is the injury concerns he had this year. Gallo's injury history is far worse.

Could we consider it a flaw that he is not as good as Gallo?

dalton749 wrote:Not worth it all all. Toronto is better of with demarre at the 3 as long as this lebron guy plays in the east.

Gallo is more likely to have a real impact on LeBron. Carroll is just a good defender to LeBron... someone who makes him do his job, but not someone who gets in his way. Gallinari is a savvy player. He is the type of player who can annoy and flop his way to a relative advantage. More importantly, Gallo is elite at getting to the line. Getting LBJ in foul trouble once in a series would have been more valuable than Carroll's contribution to the ECF.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 pm

I think Ross and No. 9 for Gallo is interesting and something both teams could consider. Gallo could play some small ball 4 with Bizmack.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#12 » by WhatsaTDot » Sun May 29, 2016 10:01 pm

The Rebel wrote:

That's an interesting way to compare players; based on their productivity 4 years ago.

This place is insufferable.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#13 » by NashtyNas » Sun May 29, 2016 10:08 pm

torotoe wrote:
Troubadour wrote:Carroll's only flaw is the injury concerns he had this year. Gallo's injury history is far worse.

Could we consider it a flaw that he is not as good as Gallo?

dalton749 wrote:Not worth it all all. Toronto is better of with demarre at the 3 as long as this lebron guy plays in the east.

Gallo is more likely to have a real impact on LeBron. Carroll is just a good defender to LeBron... someone who makes him do his job, but not someone who gets in his way. Gallinari is a savvy player. He is the type of player who can annoy and flop his way to a relative advantage. More importantly, Gallo is elite at getting to the line. Getting LBJ in foul trouble once in a series would have been more valuable than Carroll's contribution to the ECF.

Nonsense.

Gallinari is better offensively, but Carrol is just as much better defensively and much more impactful on that end.
Add in the fact that Gallinari has a worse injury history and this is a non-starter for Toronto.
Should be fine with Denver fans considering how much more useful Gallinari is to them.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,106

Post#14 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:30 pm

oyoyer wrote:Cut Utah and Philly.

DEN gets Ross and 9
TOR gets Gallo

The injuries decimate Gallo's value. And considering the risk involved, Denver would be wise to cash out while they can.

Toronto gives up some value, but hope with managed minutes and games off they can get Gallo through the rest of his contract maintaining a decent level.

I dont mind the OP for Utah, but, I suspect that cutting out Utah would be a good first step unless someone really needs to cut salary.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,718

Post#15 » by the_process » Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:
oyoyer wrote:Cut Utah and Philly.

DEN gets Ross and 9
TOR gets Gallo

I dont mind the OP for Utah, but, I suspect that cutting out Utah would be a good first step unless someone really needs to cut salary.

Yeah, I like the OP for Philly too. But no Utah in the deal means no Philly.

OT: I'd gladly give you guys cap space for Burke and Pleiss if that's an avenue you wanted to go down. I suspect it's not, however.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Re: Re: Re: Raptors get 3rd Option - DEN/UTAH/PHILLY 

Post#16 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon May 30, 2016 1:11 am

The Rebel wrote:

Well 4 years is a long time ago. Carroll in my opinion is in the Gerald Wallace type a few teams passed on him and he found his niche with Atlanta. To me he is what we need in terms is a wing defender he played good defense when he was healthy I think he just needs to focus more on just being a defensive wing.

I like Gallo but he is a offensive minded wing who can rebound for his position but isn't as strong of a defender compared to Carroll and is just as injury prone to me he doesn't make up the difference of being a 2nd to 3rd round playoff team to a NBA Finals one. I mean can you honestly say he would have helped Toronto make the Finals?
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#17 » by Skeezo » Mon May 30, 2016 2:05 am

torotoe wrote:
Carroll is just a good defender to LeBron... Gallinari is a savvy player. More importantly, Gallo is elite at getting to the line. Getting LBJ in foul trouble once in a series would have been more valuable than Carroll's contribution to the ECF.

We have two way more elite level players at getting to the line in DeRozan and Lowry than Gallo... Didn't really help us in the playoffs... We'll keep Carroll's defence and the #9 pick, thanks

Return to Trades and Transactions