UTA/BOS Super Sensible - Must Click Situation

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Re: UTA/BOS Super Sensible - Must Click Situation 

Post#21 » by Lovetron Joe » Mon May 30, 2016 2:55 pm

I am assuming Bender is the pick at three. Favors is a proven NBA PF who can also play center. He is 6'10" and 265. 16.4 ppg, 8.1 reg, 1.5 blocks, 21.7 PER. He is still only 24 years old. Bender is a skinny project who will not be physically able to play in the NBA for several years. Favors is far more valuable than Bender or anyone else available at pick three.

Hood averaged 14.5 ppg and at 6'8" has terrific size for sg. He is 23 years old. On the second year of his rookie contract.

Avery Bradley is 6'2" 180. Small for a sg but a superior one on one defender. In his sixth year in the league, he averaged a career high 15.2 ppg on .447 shooting. He has two years left on his contract.

Bradley is arguably a better player now, but Hood has better size, more years of team control remaining on his contract, and better upside. Call Hood/Bradley a push.

The trade is an overpay for the Jazz.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#22 » by eitanr » Tue May 31, 2016 2:15 am

Let's all forget Favors for a second...

How about Bradley/16/23 for Hood?
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,177

Post#23 » by brackdan70 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:22 am

eitanr wrote:Let's all forget Favors for a second...

I would think their value is pretty similar, adding 16 and 23 is an overpay and does not really improve the Cs much if any.
Sign here
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#24 » by Crossy2008 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:27 am

Problem with trading draft picks for players is that it is always a trade for potential. Favors was a #3 pick, and he went just before Ekpe Udoh. Paul George went several picks later, and Evan Turner went a pick earlier. The draft is all over the place, and the only two times we know the value of a draft pick is before the draft and a few years after it. The before part is usually filled with a lot of wrong picks, and poor judgments, mixed in with the occasional "I knew that guy was going to be a sleeper" afterthoughts.

Favors is a very good player, and more importantly a very good player for the Jazz. The Celtics are all about pace and space, and Favors shot 35.3% from outside the paint and inside the three point line last season. Zero pecent from three. He had a -2.8 DBPM and ranked 127th in FG% against inside of 5 feet.

Favors is an offensive forward that works best in a slower offense.

Bradley on the other hand is an NBA first team all defensive guard, and the #3 pick is the best or worst player that has ever played the game for all we know.

Favors probably isn't the best fit next to Gobert, and if the Utah FO thinks Bender would be, then it would cost a lot to get that pick.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#25 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue May 31, 2016 6:02 am

brackdan70 wrote:
eitanr wrote:Let's all forget Favors for a second...

I would think their value is pretty similar, adding 16 and 23 is an overpay and does not really improve the Cs much if any.

I don't think either team wants to do this.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#26 » by KqWIN » Tue May 31, 2016 6:53 am

Crossy2008 wrote:Favors is a very good player, and more importantly a very good player for the Jazz. The Celtics are all about pace and space, and Favors shot 35.3% from outside the paint and inside the three point line last season. Zero pecent from three. He had a -2.8 DBPM and ranked 127th in FG% against inside of 5 feet.

Favors is an offensive forward that works best in a slower offense.

People from the Jazz forum can tell you that I'm not as high on Favors, but I definitely don't agree with this evaluation of Favors. To call Favors an offensive forward on the basis of two statistics is already a stretch, but it really becomes pointless if those statistics aren't even correct. Favors has a DBPM of 2.3, not -2.8, and his rim protection is not 127th. Without filtering out anyone for sample sizes, he's still 100th. There are a lot of small sample sizes ahead of him. I'm curious as to where you got these numbers.
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#27 » by Goner » Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 am

Role playing bigs whose role is rim protection and anything more than marginal offense are not role players at all. You can't say that players like Gobert or DJ are equally valuable to a player like Tony Allen (even though they maybe aren't as skilled as Tony) without being guilty of radically reducing the player's value.

Return to Trades and Transactions