Kanter to Celtics

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Kanter to Celtics 

Post#1 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 pm

A couple of big assumptions in this one: Presuming the Celtics and Thunder already know the outcome of the KD decision by this point, and presuming Enes Kanter is willing to waive his NTC a few days before he's legal to be traded without his consent.

BOS in:
Enes Kanter

OKC in:
Amir Johnson
Jonas Jerebko
minor asset (rights to Ben Bentil?) Or Olynyk, if consensus is that he's worth the price.

Why for OKC:
OKC waives Ilyasova before his 7/1 guarantee date and Johnson/Jerebko before the 7/3 guarantee date. If needed, they also waive Morrow before his 7/15 guarantee date. They then have ~20mil of cap space to entice FAs with. Assuming that they talked to some agents before the start of the moratorium on 7/1 (a fair assumption), they know who they have a chance at. Can try to sell Horford or Batum on a bit of a paycut or go after Marvin Williams or depth signings.

Why for BOS:

This is contingent on them thinking they're going to whiff on the FA market and deciding to run it back for 2017. They still have a ton of cap space to chase free agents with both this year and in 2017, and they've addressed one of the big roster weaknesses.

They're in need of a rebounder and another primary scorer, as well as some size on the frontline. They had one of the best defenses in the NBA last year based off very strong perimeter play, which seems to be the only strategy that's worked to cover up poor defensive bigs (see Jefferson in CHA and some of the two-man lineup numbers for Gasol in Boston).

Could still pick up Whiteside, Noah or Mozgov, who can play next to Kanter situationally since he has PF range.

Thoughts?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Kanter to Celtics 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 pm

I'll be honest, for what Boston needs, I think I'd rather just roll with Johnson and Jerebko. Or throw a ton of money at a rim protector.

That isn't a knock on Kanter, I just don't think he fills a big enough need for Boston.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,102

Post#3 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 pm

I'd laugh if the best Ainge could do with his cap room was Enes Kanter. Obviously my opinion of Kanter is tainted as a Jazz fan, so feel free to put this post in the, 'haters gonna hate' bin.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#4 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:22 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I'd laugh if the best Ainge could do with his cap room was Enes Kanter. Obviously my opinion of Kanter is tainted as a Jazz fan, so feel free to put this post in the, 'haters gonna hate' bin.

That's fair enough. He's been a model citizen here, though—has been honest about doing things wrong before and coming into this season with a different perspective. One of my favorite guys off the court.

I follow all the Thunder players on Twitter, and of those guys he's probably been the most active. "I'm in Kenya! Shout out Thunder Nation! I'm in Dubai! Shout out Thunder Nation" Just that kind of thing.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,526

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 pm

If I'm Boston, I offer Noah the same money Kanter has left and gamble on him instead. Also, I probably keep Amir.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,266

Post#6 » by brackdan70 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:00 pm

No thanks to Kanter. I would rather keep Jerekbo and Amir and punt until next season. He doesn't make us much better if at all and locks up valuable salary that could be used on a good player.
Sign here
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#7 » by Darren » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 am

Smitty731 wrote:I'll be honest, for what Boston needs, I think I'd rather just roll with Johnson and Jerebko. Or throw a ton of money at a rim protector.

That isn't a knock on Kanter, I just don't think he fills a big enough need for Boston.

Can't agree more. Kanter is not a rim protector. He should get traded instead of Ibaka. But the OKC makes a dumb decision. So you can expect the OKC sticking with Kanter despite his non-existent defense.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,605

Post#8 » by nomansland » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:00 am

Man that's a pretty sweet deal for Oklahoma City.

When you think about consolidating Boston's assets, Kanter isn't exactly the guy that comes to mind as a target.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#9 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:36 am

I like it for the Thunder. They either get two solid roleplayers or the chance to spend big money in free agency. And I have to say I don't hate it for the Celtics. I don't know what they're planning to do, but once the premier FAs are gone (and I don't think they'll get one of those), Kanter is a decent option. If there's a team with the perimeter defense you need with Kanter, it's the Celtics. It gives them an element they haven't had these past few years and in the end, they're not really losing anything if they can't land any big names since Kanter's deal is basically 34/2 (3rd year PO) and they should be able to trade him if things don't work out.

I know ppl are still hoping for big names coming to Boston, but I'm saying in case that doesn't work out.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#10 » by cl2117 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:48 am

Pass for me for Boston. He gets a bad rap and is better than people give him credit for, but I'd much rather not have anything tied up in Kanter and then be able to be more flexible chasing other names.

I think if Boston ends up striking out on FA and keeping Amir and Jerebko, those two are far more useful if a trade presents itself mid-season because they can match salaries better are expiring, and then if it doesn't they get open cap space and can take another shot at FA.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,526

Post#11 » by 165bows » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:59 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I'd laugh if the best Ainge could do with his cap room was Enes Kanter. Obviously my opinion of Kanter is tainted as a Jazz fan, so feel free to put this post in the, 'haters gonna hate' bin.

That's the thing on a lot of these deals. Celtics have had the type of assets these guys fetched in trades coming out their ears, but didn't pursue them the first time.

Celtics' thing has been all about defensive versatility lately so I doubt they revisit that decision to pass now.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#12 » by Drax » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:15 pm

As a Celtics fan i would not entirly rule out a trade like this, but i would look at different options first. End of July Celtics haven't done anything with the capspace, it's worth an other call. But the first two weeks of free agency no chance. But other than capspace i wouldn't trade any asset for Kanter.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,266

Post#13 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Drax wrote:As a Celtics fan i would not entirly rule out a trade like this, but i would look at different options first. End of July Celtics haven't done anything with the capspace, it's worth an other call. But the first two weeks of free agency no chance. But other than capspace i would trade any asset for Kanter.

I am assuming you mean wouldn't trade any asset...

cheers
Sign here
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#14 » by Drax » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:41 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Spoiler:
Drax wrote:As a Celtics fan i would not entirly rule out a trade like this, but i would look at different options first. End of July Celtics haven't done anything with the capspace, it's worth an other call. But the first two weeks of free agency no chance. But other than capspace i would trade any asset for Kanter.

I am assuming you mean wouldn't trade any asset...

cheers

indeed!
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford

Return to Trades and Transactions