How Good is this Bulls' Team?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

How Good is this Bulls' Team? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Assume Noah and Gasol walk

1. Bulls go all in and make a huge offer to Barnes. Obviously, he will be overpaid, but we REALLY need an athletic 3 who can shoot, and GS might let him walk in hopes of getting KD. We have the connection with him (Iowa HS with McDermott-same HS as Hoiberg).

2. I figure Taj has positive value, Dunleavy more or less neutral and Calderon negative value-if we could dump all 3 of them, burning only second round picks if necessary, we would have lots more cap space. Lots of teams would want Taj, and give up a first of some sort. Teams might take Dunleavy as a bench shooter for a year. Calderon is a good back up PG, but over paid.

3. Sign Conley to a big deal

Bulls end up with
Conley/Moore/Grant
Butler/Valentine/Moore/Snell
Barnes/Dougie/Snell
Niko/Portis/Barnes
Lopez/Felicano/Portis

Does that team win 50+ and challenge Clev? The D would be very tough-the offense should be solid
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Re: How Good is this Bulls' Team? 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:01 pm

If I were the Bulls I'd rather have Crabbe at half the cost than Barnes.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,704

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:36 pm

jbk1234 wrote:If I were the Bulls I'd rather have Crabbe at half the cost than Barnes.

I bet Crabbe costs more than 50% of what Barnes does. I'd still rather have him as well tho.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#4 » by Golabki » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:20 pm

pipfan wrote:Assume Noah and Gasol walk

1. Bulls go all in and make a huge offer to Barnes. Obviously, he will be overpaid, but we REALLY need an athletic 3 who can shoot, and GS might let him walk in hopes of getting KD. We have the connection with him (Iowa HS with McDermott-same HS as Hoiberg).

2. I figure Taj has positive value, Dunleavy more or less neutral and Calderon negative value-if we could dump all 3 of them, burning only second round picks if necessary, we would have lots more cap space. Lots of teams would want Taj, and give up a first of some sort. Teams might take Dunleavy as a bench shooter for a year. Calderon is a good back up PG, but over paid.

3. Sign Conley to a big deal

Bulls end up with
Conley/Moore/Grant
Butler/Valentine/Moore/Snell
Barnes/Dougie/Snell
Niko/Portis/Barnes
Lopez/Felicano/Portis

Does that team win 50+ and challenge Clev? The D would be very tough-the offense should be solid

1. The odds of the Bulls signing Conley and Barnes are zero
2. If they did I still don't think they really threaten the Cavs, but would probably threaten Raps/Hawks/Celts/Heat/Bobcats
Golabki
General Manager

Post#5 » by Golabki » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If I were the Bulls I'd rather have Crabbe at half the cost than Barnes.

I bet Crabbe costs more than 50% of what Barnes does. I'd still rather have him as well tho.

Crabbe mania is getting of control... why is he better than someone random like Meeks?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Golabki wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Crabbe mania is getting of control.

For me, it's more of how I value Barnes on a max contract.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:36 pm

Golabki wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Crabbe mania is getting of control... why is he better than someone random like Meeks?

He played 26 MPG on the 5th best team in the west and was a big contributor. He just turned 24 years old in April and showed a huge sign of improvement this season. He shot the 3 ball great at almost 40% and he has good size.

He is much better than Meeks.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#8 » by CellarDoor » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm really, really afraid of signing Barnes. Sinking 20+m of your cap into a guy who is very likely not even a championship *third* option at any point in the future is not a great start to a rebuild.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
Golabki
General Manager

Post#9 » by Golabki » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Golabki wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

He played 26 MPG on the 5th best team in the west and was a big contributor. He just turned 24 years old in April and showed a huge sign of improvement this season. He shot the 3 ball great at almost 40% and he has good size.

He is much better than Meeks.

Crabbe's a pretty good 3pt point shooter, but not a great one, doesn't do much else on offense, doesn't really play much defense. i'm not convinced he's anything more than a serviceable rotation SG, which is what Meeks is too. Crabbe obviously has more upside (although he's not really that young anymore) and isn't coming off an injury... but I think big money to Crabbe (4 years, $60M?) could end up being one of the worst decisions made in this offseason.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#10 » by rpa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Golabki wrote:Crabbe's a pretty good 3pt point shooter, but not a great one, doesn't do much else on offense, doesn't really play much defense. i'm not convinced he's anything more than a serviceable rotation SG, which is what Meeks is too. Crabbe obviously has more upside (although he's not really that young anymore) and isn't coming off an injury... but I think big money to Crabbe (4 years, $60M?) could end up being one of the worst decisions made in this offseason.

Seconding this.

Crabbe was ranked 85th in DRPM this past year among SGs (first year playing major minutes), had a negative on/off on both sides of the ball, sported a DRTG of 110, and rebounds poorly for his size.

I mean, really, what does this guy do other than shoot reasonably well (not elite, not great, he's just good)?
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#11 » by drosestruts » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:45 pm

I think it's more realistic that we look like:

Moore/Valetine/Grant/
Butler/Snell/Valentine
Barnes/McDermott/Zipser
Mirotic/Gibson/Portis
Lopez/Felicio

Stretch Dunleavy and Calderon. Maybe add one vet min big man (Nazr Moahmmed, Dewayne Dedmon, somebody)

I think that's a 48 win team, and is a 3-6 seed in the East.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#12 » by TGW » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Barnes is such a garbage player. It's really nice to play as the 6th option on the best offensive team in the league in a contract year.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#13 » by giberish » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:27 pm

With Conley, it's a 55-win team. Though when push comes to shove in the playoffs they're not that close to a healthy Cleveland team. They're more like this year's Toronto team.

Without Conley they're more 45-win level. An upgrade from last year, but only enough to make the playoffs not to be interesting.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#14 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:56 pm

rpa wrote:
Golabki wrote:Crabbe's a pretty good 3pt point shooter, but not a great one, doesn't do much else on offense, doesn't really play much defense. i'm not convinced he's anything more than a serviceable rotation SG, which is what Meeks is too. Crabbe obviously has more upside (although he's not really that young anymore) and isn't coming off an injury... but I think big money to Crabbe (4 years, $60M?) could end up being one of the worst decisions made in this offseason.

Seconding this.

Crabbe was ranked 85th in DRPM this past year among SGs (first year playing major minutes), had a negative on/off on both sides of the ball, sported a DRTG of 110, and rebounds poorly for his size.

I mean, really, what does this guy do other than shoot reasonably well (not elite, not great, he's just good)?

Advance stats are nearly meaningless when gauging defense. They are so subjective. Advance stats doesn't say anything about Crabbe defending guys to a 39% FG% last year.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#15 » by Golabki » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
rpa wrote:

Seconding this.

Advance stats are nearly meaningless when gauging defense. They are so subjective. Advance stats doesn't say anything about Crabbe defending guys to a 39% FG% last year.

two things...

1. I'm not sure you are using the word "subjective" correctly.
2. Where's that opponent FG% number from? Nylon calculus seems to have a very different view on opponent production?
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#16 » by dalton749 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Crabbe and Ross are pretty much the exact same player. If bet he gets in the 15 mil range.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#17 » by pipfan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:33 pm

I figure Butler is an OK #1-top 15/20 player and should be at his peak this coming season-put him down for 22/game
Niko would have to become a legit second option-possible, let's say 18/8
Barnes as a 3rd option is not the end of the world-16/game with solid D
Conley is a top 7-10 pg, let's say 14/game
Lopez should be good for 10/10
McDermott should emerge as a very good 6th man, I could easily see 12/game
Portis, Felicio, Valentine, Moore, Grant, Snell-an OK bench

That team should be #2 in the East-4 out of 5 defenders in starting lineup are positive, and Niko is not terrible on D

Lots of shooting and rebounding would be fine
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#18 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:39 pm

Golabki wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
rpa wrote:
Seconding this.

two things...

1. I'm not sure you are using the word "subjective" correctly.
2. Where's that opponent FG% number from? Nylon calculus seems to have a very different view on opponent production?

1. DRTG and DRPM are both based on somebody opinion of what an impact play is. The numbers that are used in these formulas are weighted by their opinion . Advance defensive stats is much more an theory than law.
2. nba.com defense stats.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#19 » by FrontPageNews » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 pm

45-50 win team. Probably a second round exit. Won't contend with the cavs anytime soon unless Barnes magically turns into an all star.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 642

Post#20 » by Pipp33 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:39 am

I think I would prefer that they clear the decks this coming season - trade Butler for a young stud + picks and build from there. By overpaying Barnes, who no one knows how he will go outside of Warrior's system, could end up being a terrible investment. See what we can get from Valentine this season and also evaluate how Niko and Doug go as more featured players.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team

Return to Trades and Transactions