Rubio to SA

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Rubio to SA 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:15 am

I assume this has been posted-I have not been on the board much and haven't seen it

Parker/that 2 guard SA drafted this year-the one who was a steal/2017 first for Rubio

Rubio would be AWESOME with Green/Leonard/LMA/Pau

Minny gets a place holder in Parker while Dunn/Jones learn the ropes. They also get a young guy to back up Lavine and a future pick

I figure they deal Parker this summer
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: Rubio to SA 

Post#2 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:19 am

SA would never trade Parker, but I think they'd say no to this deal even if they were okay with trading him. This is more of a value to the franchise being greater than the value to the outside world type of thing.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:20 am

I actually like this idea a ton for the Spurs. And I don't totally hate it for the Wolves either really.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#4 » by wfiles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I actually like this idea a ton for the Spurs. And I don't totally hate it for the Wolves either really.

The wolves don't want 34 year old Parker and some late 2017 draft pick.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 am

Hard to fathom them moving Parker.

But this seems like a good deal for the Spurs today.

Bad for Minny, way too early to take Murray for Rubio. He looks good so far, but I wouldn't bite if I was Minnesota.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#6 » by blind prophet » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:30 am

wfiles wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I actually like this idea a ton for the Spurs. And I don't totally hate it for the Wolves either really.

I wouldn't take the trade if I was Minny either, but "some late 2017 draft pick" is not really a good take. He looks pretty good so far, just not proven yet. If he was drafted at 10 or something his ability wouldn't magically be more.
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#7 » by wfiles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:33 am

blind prophet wrote:
wfiles wrote:

I wouldn't take the trade if I was Minny either, but "some late 2017 draft pick" is not really a good take. He looks pretty good so far, just not proven yet. If he was drafted at 10 or something his ability wouldn't magically be more.

I'm talking about the 2017 first round draft pick in the proposed offer not the player that the Spurs drafted recently.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#8 » by wolves_89 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:39 am

I'd much rather keep Rubio. The trade makes the Wolves a worse team next year while at the same time giving them very little in terms of future assets. No thanks.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#9 » by Blame Rasho » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:41 am

The Wolves should have traded him on draft day where I think he could have shored up their swing man and get some real 3 point shooting.

I think Dunn could be better from day one than Rubio this coming season and Jones looks to be a very solid back up option.

The problem with basically any and all trades with the Spurs, is that their players are valued more for their fit with the Spurs rather than anyone else.

No Wolves fan is saying.. you know what... we need Tony Parker... esp after having drafted Dunn and Jones on the roster.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,048

Post#10 » by wablty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:48 am

It seems like Minnesota's just doing San Antonio a solid out of the goodness of their heart. The problem is the guy they need to be trading Rubio for isn't really available at the moment. They need a combo forward that can guard big wings and most 4's while making some 3's.

The odds of Dunn being better than Rubio from Day 1 are extremely long. There's no reason to trade Rubio until there's an offer that actually fits. You should be able to get a reasonable starter for a good, young player on a nice contract. A Tobias Harris, Robert Covington or even Rudy Gay would be a nice fit, but they're either not available, a 1 year rental or about to get really expensive. There's room on the roster for someone who can play the 3 when Wiggins is at 2 and they go big (or getting a rest) and sliding over to 4 if they go small.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#11 » by Chinook » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:51 am

Take Rubio somewhere else, please. I'm not giving up value to make that swap if I'm the Spurs. Sure as hell not giving up Murray as a throw-in.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#12 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:29 pm

pipfan wrote:I assume this has been posted-I have not been on the board much and haven't seen it

Parker/that 2 guard SA drafted this year-the one who was a steal/2017 first for Rubio

Minny gets a place holder in Parker while Dunn/Jones learn the ropes. They also get a young guy to back up Lavine and a future pick

Who in the world is this?
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#13 » by franktony » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
pipfan wrote:I assume this has been posted-I have not been on the board much and haven't seen it

Pretty sure he is talking about Dejounte Murray.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#14 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:10 pm

franktony wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

Pretty sure he is talking about Dejounte Murray.

Not sure he is a SG or a steal, but ok then.
Rubio9Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,318

Post#15 » by Rubio9Guy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:14 pm

The guy is such a steal that he doesn't even know his name...
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#16 » by Chinook » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Rubio9Guy wrote:The guy is such a steal that he doesn't even know his name...

I think Murray is less of a steal than people assume (he's high ceiling/low floor, which is a risk the Spurs needed to take but that other teams were justified in passing on), but he's been getting that hype about being a steal since he was drafted. I can totally understand not knowing who the player is but having heard about how the Spurs "did it again" with some guy (since it would have been that way with whomever SA draft -- broadcasters are so lazy).
Blue Wolf
Junior
And1: 8

Post#17 » by Blue Wolf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:23 pm

[quote="Blame Rasho"I think Dunn could be better from day one than Rubio ....[/quote]

Really? This is a real take? Global mod, no less?Omfg, go ahead and warn me/censor this post/or whatever because I can't find any words to further a civil discussion about how Rubio isn't worth Tony Parker's corpse, some young kid who hasn't proven a damn thing in this league, and a late 1st round pick. Sorry.

Smdh #*@!^((&*#!! $!
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Blue Wolf wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:I think Dunn could be better from day one than Rubio ....

Really? This is a real take? Global mod, no less?Omfg, go ahead and warn me/censor this post/or whatever because I can't find any words to further a civil discussion about how Rubio isn't worth Tony Parker's corpse, some young kid who hasn't proven a damn thing in this league, and a late 1st round pick. Sorry.

Smdh #*@!^((&*#!! $!

Mod-baiting absolutely isn't going to be tolerated under any circumstances. And in the future when, as you put it, you can't find words for a civil discussion, its better if you just refrain from posting.

Chuck
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#19 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:35 pm

I definitely could see the chance that Dunn is better than Rubio out of the gate, but it doesn't mean I like the return for Minnesota here.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,483

Post#20 » by jayjaysee » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:26 pm

I don't really see what's wrong with this trade for either side.

Minnesota gets a really good vet bandaid and two cheap labor contracts. Should be what they are looking for if trading Rubio in my opinion.

SAS gets a one year upgrade, who is also a much better asset next year to trade if SAS can convince Westbrook or.. to come over. I imagine after a year of playing for Pop and making the WCF, Rubio, with two cheap years left, will be worth a lot more than two late firsts they give up here. Compared to asking someone to take 35 year old expiring Parker..

Would be smart for both sides imo.

Return to Trades and Transactions