Official: Gerald Green to Boston

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Official: Gerald Green to Boston 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Reported a bunch of places. I think Sean Deveney had it first.

Basically he should take James Young spot on the roster. And he's a better shooter and better at everything else, so if the money was right, why not?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Re: Official: Gerald Green to Boston 

Post#2 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:52 pm

i feel like I went back in time

pew pew pew....fire works.

thanks Smitty
Sign here
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#3 » by Mykhyn » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Low risk medium reward, why not
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#4 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Reported a bunch of places. I think Sean Deveney had it first.

Basically he should take James Young spot on the roster. And he's a better shooter and better at everything else, so if the money was right, why not?

Probably time to ask who around the league would take on James Young without incentive.
mikestar
Junior
And1: 105

Post#5 » by mikestar » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:08 pm

I can bust out my Gerald t-shirt!
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#6 » by cl2117 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Better than signing JR.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#7 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Any news on the Terms?
Sign here
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#8 » by cl2117 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:49 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Any news on the Terms?

Haven't seen monetary details but it's a 1 year deal. They've also reportedly agreed to a guaranteed deal with Zeller (2 year deal with the 2nd year not guaranteed like Amir and Jerebko's deals last year).

I think they had around 12m to spare so I assume Gerald and Tyler are splitting that in some fashion.

Also agreed to a guaranteed deal with Demetrius Jackson and a partial guaranteed deal with Bentil.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Re: Re: Official: Gerald Green to Boston 

Post#9 » by kriss73 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:59 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Any news on the Terms?

Minimum vets, around 1.5 M
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#10 » by Homerclease » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:44 pm

Hate it, Celtics really botched this draft after Brown IMO.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:51 pm

I don't mind Green on a cheap short-term flier. And I don't mind Zeller back as big man depth with a contract that is easy to trade. Nothing earth-shattering with these moves, but I think both benefit the Celtics. My guess is that Stevens will find a way to make Green into a 15-20 mpg useful bench piece. Look what he's done for Bradley, Crowder, and Turner.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#12 » by Homerclease » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:55 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I don't mind Green on a cheap short-term flier. And I don't mind Zeller back as big man depth with a contract that is easy to trade. Nothing earth-shattering with these moves, but I think both benefit the Celtics. My guess is that Stevens will find a way to make Green into a 15-20 mpg useful bench piece. Look what he's done for Bradley, Crowder, and Turner.

There's going to be a lot of unhappy Celtics fans if Green is seeing 15-20 min a night over Jaylen Brown, and rightfully so. Brown needs to be in the rotation from day 1 and certainly shouldn't be riding pine for a player the caliber of Gerald Green
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,813

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:59 pm

Homerclease wrote:There's going to be a lot of unhappy Celtics fans if Green is seeing 15-20 min a night over Jaylen Brown, and rightfully so. Brown needs to be in the rotation from day 1 and certainly shouldn't be riding pine for a player the caliber of Gerald Green

Seems like a great problem to have to me. If Brown proves ready to provide positive minutes from the jump, great. Green can be a situational shooter and insurance policy. If, as with most rookies, Brown really isn't able to have much positive impact it will be nice to have another option for Stevens to go to.

I still think by the time the playoffs roll around, Boston will have made a signficant move and more depth might come in handy. Or Green might get cut in camp if enough of the kids look like they still deserve roster spots.

But I think writing Brown in pen into the rotation at this point is a mistake Stevens won't make.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#14 » by Homerclease » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Homerclease wrote:There's going to be a lot of unhappy Celtics fans if Green is seeing 15-20 min a night over Jaylen Brown, and rightfully so. Brown needs to be in the rotation from day 1 and certainly shouldn't be riding pine for a player the caliber of Gerald Green

Seems like a great problem to have to me. If Brown proves ready to provide positive minutes from the jump, great. Green can be a situational shooter and insurance policy. If, as with most rookies, Brown really isn't able to have much positive impact it will be nice to have another option for Stevens to go to.

I still think by the time the playoffs roll around, Boston will have made a signficant move and more depth might come in handy. Or Green might get cut in camp if enough of the kids look like they still deserve roster spots.

But I think writing Brown in pen into the rotation at this point is a mistake Stevens won't make.

Honestly I don't think Green even makes the team. Brown has to play. Absolutely has to. They need to throw him to the wolves to develop him as a player and/or build his trade value. He's also the only player on the team not named IT that can get into the paint and draw fouls. The Celtics can't keep drafting all these players and let them rot on the bench behind stop gap veterans. The Celtics DO need a successful season (50+ wins and a playoff series victory) in order to attract a second max guy but Gerald Green hardly moves the needle.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#15 » by giberish » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Honestly I don't think Green even makes the team. Brown has to play. Absolutely has to. They need to throw him to the wolves to develop him as a player and/or build his trade value. He's also the only player on the team not named IT that can get into the paint and draw fouls. The Celtics can't keep drafting all these players and let them rot on the bench behind stop gap veterans. The Celtics DO need a successful season (50+ wins and a playoff series victory) in order to attract a second max guy but Gerald Green hardly moves the needle.

Baring injury or massive, massive suckage Brown has to get a regular 15 mpg or more rotation role.

However if he's not effective as a rookie (and most 1 and done rookies are net negatives as rookies) then having a vet replacement option for the playoffs is useful.
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,123

Post#16 » by NBADraft2003 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Convinced some haven't watched Gerald in the last year. Love GG and hope he has a better year than last.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#17 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:07 pm

NBADraft2003 wrote:Convinced some haven't watched Gerald in the last year. Love GG and hope he has a better year than last.

Yup, as long as he keeps his head on strait he can be a nice contributor, especially for even less than the vet min(league is paying a small chunk). Boston still didn't solve their two biggest problems from last year, shooting and rebounding. Sullinger is basically a similar deal to Zeller I believe.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#18 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Homerclease wrote:Hate it, Celtics really botched this draft after Brown IMO.

I'm not two sure, Zizic has a ton of potential, we just haven't seen him play yet. At 19 he was the best rebounder in the Adriatic league, I was surprised Ainge didn't let the kid come over and Zubac did. The only thing I would have done different after Brown was used the 16th on Elleson, Detroit got a steal.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:10 pm

And no team will offer Waiters a contract because of the risk?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions