Most shockingly high and low contracts

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Most shockingly high and low contracts 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm

These are contracts that surprised you by being so high or low. Not talking about guys you expected to get over or under paid and then were. Omit ring chasers.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Most shockingly high and low contracts 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:01 pm

High is Turner. Just blew me away.

And low is Waiters, I didn't even expect that.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#3 » by bdpecore » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:09 pm

High is Joakim Noah. Couldn't believe some GM thought it was a good idea to give him a four year deal and for $72MM no less!

Low is Gerald Green. I thought some team would have at least offered him the MLE.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#4 » by loserX » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:54 pm

High has to be Turner then Mozgov. I shook my head at the Mozgov signing but honestly thought Evan Turner's was a misprint. (Dishonourable mention: Austin Rivers getting almost $12M/yr per for three years. I mean, we all knew it was going to be too much, but come on.)

Low end, like bondom I was surprised Waiters got *that* little (less than Barbosa?). Nene (room exception) and Jarrett Jack (vet min) also came super cheap, and I don't know whether to omit them as "ring chasers" because are Atlanta and Houston really title contenders this year? I wouldn't have been surprised to see those guys take those deals from Cleveland or GSW, but the Hawks and Rockets are a step down from that and still got deep discounts.
Kevin6CD
Senior
And1: 198

Post#5 » by Kevin6CD » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 pm

High: Mozgov. Feels like this one is self-explanatory.
Low: Sullinger? I get that he's betting on himself with that deal, but I thought he'd find more money than what he got.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,681

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 pm

low: Zaza -- I would have thought for sure he would have wanted to cash in on all this capspace and get one good contract in. Instead he took nothing from GSW.

high: Turner and Rivers.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#7 » by damecurry » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Heh, we could easily claim both of these categories. ET highest and Ezeli lowest, they were each probably 2nd or third for me.

Highest is Mozgov, then Noah though. As I keep saying, regardless of anything else ET is a healthy human being capable of staying on the court, mozzy and joakim really aren't. When 30 year old centers start breaking down they very rarely recuperate fully, paying those guys 15m+ for 4 years considering there is a very legitimate chance they break down and just collect that money for the last two or three years without even playing, is just nuts.
Lowest is harder, Ezeli and waiters, Zaza, Marvin Williams at almost 30m less than ryno is pretty shocking.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:07 pm

My high is a tie between Turner and Noah. Both are valuable players, but both are getting a lot of money.

My low is also Waiters. Especially when a guy like Ellington is getting twice as much.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#9 » by BroncoBuck » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:05 pm

High: Mozgov, Mahinmi

Low: Seth Curry
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#10 » by Golabki » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Mozgov and Turner are the two inexplicable ones for me.

I'm also surprise Sullinger got so little. I think there most have been bad blood with the celtics by the end. He should fire his agent.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#11 » by franktony » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:03 pm

High - Solomon Hill and Garrett Temple

Hill : For a guy that had his TO declined off a rookie contract, getting a 50m was definitely shocking.
Temple: I always see this guy as a 3rd string player. I never thought he could get a 8m/year contract.

Low - Terrence Jones and Waiters

Jones : even with a down year with the Rockets, I expected to see a few teams still giving him a big contract. Maybe he had some offers, but I think he made the right decision going to the Pelicans for the minimum.
Waiters : I'm not high on Waiters, but I think he was decent for OKC last season, especially in the playoffs. I thought he would get at least 10m/year from a dumb team. Maybe teams are getting smarter.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#12 » by wickedwrister » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:14 pm

high: Noah, Mozgov, Tyler Johnson, Solomon Hill
Low: Sullinger, Zaza, Ezeli
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,382

Post#13 » by jowglenn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:29 am

Ezeli was the one that shocked me as a low. Everyone was talking about him getting 4/40 easy. Then when the Mozgov & Noah contracts came out, I figured "Oh, Ezeli is getting some 4/60 deal. This is the NBA now."

Instead, he gets 2 years, 16 million with a 2nd year team option. WHAT? That's Tyler Zeller money now. That's way less than what the Blazers gave Meyers Leonard.
sanitylaker
Senior
And1: 314

Post#14 » by sanitylaker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:32 am

jowglenn wrote:Ezeli was the one that shocked me as a low. Everyone was talking about him getting 4/40 easy. Then when the Mozgov & Noah contracts came out, I figured "Oh, Ezeli is getting some 4/60 deal. This is the NBA now."

Instead, he gets 2 years, 16 million with a 2nd year team option. WHAT? That's Tyler Zeller money now. That's way less than what the Blazers gave Meyers Leonard.

big healthy issues, that's why.
PhilDMonkey
Junior
And1: 42

Post#15 » by PhilDMonkey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:00 am

High: Definitely Allen Crabbe, worst contract signed this summer.
Low: Sullinger and Waiters should get ~14M/per year in this market.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#16 » by chrbal » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:55 am

High is miles plumlee. $52 mil for lets call him depth. Low is sullinger getting a one year from Toronto. I thought he'd at least get a three year offer.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#17 » by stitches » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:21 am

bondom34 wrote:High is Turner. Just blew me away.

This+ the Mozgov deal...
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:50 am

stitches wrote:
bondom34 wrote:High is Turner. Just blew me away.

This+ the Mozgov deal...

Yeah, I remember thinking it was a mistake on NBA TV when I first saw it.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#19 » by patman52 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:30 am

Turner, to me by far was the strangest deal.

Waiters I thought was going to get 3x that. Sully close to twice that, but both players wanted a mulligan and did not want to commit on a mulityear pact

With Ezili, when he signed that deal, I thought his medical must show a degenerative condition.

I never thought that Noah was going to get a 4 year deal. I thought he was going to get the $$$, just not for 4 years

Mosgov had a bad year, but his play in years before that was kind of inline with his contract. I thought he was going to get 1 year and 10.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#20 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:26 pm

High: There's a lot of options in this category, Turner, Plumlee, Mozgov, Hill, Johnson, Noah, Rivers...

Low: Ezeli was the biggest shocker for me. Even with the injury issues him getting less than 10 mil per seems crazy especially when you consider what Plumlee got.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to Trades and Transactions