Golden State early offseason in review (HW/bondom34/dbrandon)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Grade the GS offseason

A+
70%
A
15%
A-
3%
B+
3%
B
6%
B-
No votes
C+
No votes
C
No votes
D
No votes
F
3%

Total votes: 33

Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Re: Golden State early offseason in review (HW/bondom34/dbrandon) 

Post#21 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:45 pm

pelifan wrote:I'm actually expecting a drop off in defense this year. Could see the slip last season. It won't matter in the regular season because that offense will trounce everyone. But come playoff time if they can't make key stops I could see the caves hurting them again. (Not likely, I would just put their chances at a ring at 90 rather than 99)

Their defense dropped from their championship season to last season. I don't see much of a trade off defensively and actually their small ball lineup should be even better defensively. The key is to limit the amount of time Green plays the 5. I think Durant is a better defender than Barnes.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#22 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:31 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Slava wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
It looked one vet down from what I expected. Mario Chalmers when he heals?

I'd think he'd need atleast a year to be of any use after that injury. So their best bet might be to look to the buy out, waiver wire for someone like Calderon in March.

Kendall Marshall is a free agent in ~2 weeks. That might actually be an okay landing spot for him and fit for GS.

Or apparently Phil Pressey.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:41 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:
pelifan wrote:I'm actually expecting a drop off in defense this year. Could see the slip last season. It won't matter in the regular season because that offense will trounce everyone. But come playoff time if they can't make key stops I could see the caves hurting them again. (Not likely, I would just put their chances at a ring at 90 rather than 99)

Their defense dropped from their championship season to last season. I don't see much of a trade off defensively and actually their small ball lineup should be even better defensively. The key is to limit the amount of time Green plays the 5. I think Durant is a better defender than Barnes.

A dialed-in Durant is definitely better defensively than Barnes. But Barnes knew he was out there to defend and hit open shots. Durant won't have those same responsibilities. That combined with Zaza in for Bogut and I think there is no question at all that during the RS the defense will drop off.

Now thats mostly irrelevant because they will be so good offensively that they will win 65 games on talent alone. And I imagine in the playoffs we will see a dialed-in defensively Kevin Durant because if the Warriors don't win a title this year, he is going to get a ton of heat even if he puts up great offensive numbers and Curry or Klay or Draymond struggle. He will be seen as the guy who broke up the chemistry of an all-time team.

But definitely fair imo to say they will be a worse defensive team.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#24 » by Mich3006 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:36 am

Slava wrote:Can't lose by getting Durant but the micro analyst in me thinks the backcourt depth is too thin and will come back to bite them if either Steph or Livingston gets injured, which is very possible.

Thought the same but on the other hand Green is their playmaker so it won´t be a big problem. They "only" need a guy who can defend the opponent´s PG on the one spot because of their guys on the 2-4...
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,538

Post#25 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:

A dialed-in Durant is definitely better defensively than Barnes. But Barnes knew he was out there to defend and hit open shots. Durant won't have those same responsibilities. That combined with Zaza in for Bogut and I think there is no question at all that during the RS the defense will drop off.

Now thats mostly irrelevant because they will be so good offensively that they will win 65 games on talent alone. And I imagine in the playoffs we will see a dialed-in defensively Kevin Durant because if the Warriors don't win a title this year, he is going to get a ton of heat even if he puts up great offensive numbers and Curry or Klay or Draymond struggle. He will be seen as the guy who broke up the chemistry of an all-time team.

But definitely fair imo to say they will be a worse defensive team.

Okay running with that 65 as a win prediction, or do you want to refine the number?
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Give me 63 as my official prediction please.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions