Pacers/Celtics

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,383

Pacers/Celtics 

Post#1 » by jowglenn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 am

Stuckey became somewhat redundant with Monta's arrival, and I wonder what we could get for him. I would be looking for more of a shooting guard - Teague, Monta, and PG will handle enough of the ball handling that I don't think we really need it.

Meanwhile I feel like the Celtics, after losing Turner, could use a steady hand off the bench like Stuckey - he can score a bit, facilitate a bit.

What about Stuckey & 2017 1st for Jerebko, James Young, and a 2nd?
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Re: Pacers/Celtics 

Post#2 » by KiDdFrESh » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:35 am

Why does Indy need to give up a first here? Does Stuckey have a bad contract? I think Indy gives up too much. Take out the first and I think it's closer.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,783

Post#3 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:49 am

Jerebko is worth considerably more than Stuckey by himself. You really need to watch some Celtics games to understand his value.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,183

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:34 am

jowglenn wrote:Stuckey became somewhat redundant with Monta's arrival, and I wonder what we could get for him. I would be looking for more of a shooting guard - Teague, Monta, and PG will handle enough of the ball handling that I don't think we really need it.

Meanwhile I feel like the Celtics, after losing Turner, could use a steady hand off the bench like Stuckey - he can score a bit, facilitate a bit.

Value is fair but i am not interested. not needed, not wanted.

Thomas, Smart and Rozier are plenty of ball handlers imo.
Sign here
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#5 » by Crossy2008 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 am

brackdan70 wrote:
jowglenn wrote:Stuckey became somewhat redundant with Monta's arrival, and I wonder what we could get for him. I would be looking for more of a shooting guard - Teague, Monta, and PG will handle enough of the ball handling that I don't think we really need it.

Maybe Sacramento would be interested, or Toronto. Stuckey is still a nice bench scorer, and backup. He might not be a top six guy, but if you can have him as a the 8th or 9th guy then he would be valuable at times. He is a relatively low turnover guy.

Boston is not in a position to bring in more depth with their guards. If Boston did a 4 for 1 swap then that would change things, but nobody does a 4 for 1 swap this time of year.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:28 am

I don't see why the Celtics would want to do this unless it was to get another #1 pick. I don't see the Pacers willing to give a #1 to move stuckey.

I'd move Stuckey for a late 2nd in 2020 if anyone needs a combo guard.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#7 » by Golabki » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:23 pm

KiDdFrESh wrote:Why does Indy need to give up a first here? Does Stuckey have a bad contract? I think Indy gives up too much. Take out the first and I think it's closer.

Stuckey does have a bad contract
Golabki
General Manager

Post#8 » by Golabki » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

Yeah - to me this boils down to eating the stucky contract to get a first
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,183

Post#9 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Golabki wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Yeah - to me this boils down to eating the stucky contract to get a first

yeah...seems like something the Cs would be all over a couple years ago, but little purpose to it now.
Sign here
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#10 » by pacers33granger » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

I see no way we pay a first to move Stuckey. His contract is fine, he just doesn't fit with the roster anymore. But if someone wants an asset higher than a 2nd to take him on, we might as well just keep him. Odds are he declines his PO. And if he doesn't, he's a good lockerroom vet and does offer some things (though admittedly we don't really need them).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Golabki wrote:
KiDdFrESh wrote:Why does Indy need to give up a first here? Does Stuckey have a bad contract? I think Indy gives up too much. Take out the first and I think it's closer.

How do? He's essentially expiring as he's likely to opt out, so long as he doesn't get injured. He's a solid get guard off the bench, and paid commensurate (maybe even bargain priced after this summer) to his talent, fit, and skill.

Certainly not needing a 1sr to "eat his contract".
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#12 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Not so sure he opts out.
He seems to be paid handsomely and next summer isn't going to be like this summer when it comes to cap space. He's also on the wrong side of 30 for a big long-term deal.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:Not so sure he opts out.
He seems to be paid handsomely and next summer isn't going to be like this summer when it comes to cap space. He's also on the wrong side of 30 for a big long-term deal.

Wouldn't it be better for him to opt out in hopes of getting a long term deal early as he'll be 31 next offseason versus waiting another year? And I really wouldn't consider 7 mil a year being paid handsomely at this point. That's less than what DJ Augustin just got.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#14 » by Golabki » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Golabki wrote:

How do? He's essentially expiring as he's likely to opt out, so long as he doesn't get injured. He's a solid get guard off the bench, and paid commensurate (maybe even bargain priced after this summer) to his talent, fit, and skill.

I don't think he's a "solid guard off the bench", I think he's a fringe rotation player getting paid like a solid guard off the bench. Not many teams a looking for SGs that play medicroe D and can't shoot 3s.

And from the celtics perspective the chance he opts in is a pretty large risk. I think he's clearly a bad contract for them.

There might be a team that would give up a little for him if they had cash and needed playmakers (philly would have been a good candidate last year) but it's not the celtics.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#15 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:55 pm

pacers33granger wrote:

Wouldn't it be better for him to opt out in hopes of getting a long term deal early as he'll be 31 next offseason versus waiting another year? And I really wouldn't consider 7 mil a year being paid handsomely at this point. That's less than what DJ Augustin just got.

He might bot get that long term deal tho. We saw players (of course they are fringe players) like Shane Larkin and Thomas Robinson opt out of $1.5m contracts thinking they were worth more and found no suitors. Who's gonna give him a multi-year deal worth opting out of $7m?
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#16 » by pacers33granger » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

He might bot get that long term deal tho. We saw players (of course they are fringe players) like Shane Larkin and Thomas Robinson opt out of $1.5m contracts thinking they were worth more and found no suitors. Who's gonna give him a multi-year deal worth opting out of $7m?

I mean ultimately it depends on the season he has. If he's injured or just terrible, yeah he doesn't opt out. But if he plays the same as he has since we signed him, I'd expect him to opt out. But I'd expect him to be able to make up the money, or close to it and I could also see him wanting to have a bigger role elsewhere (he did sign with us originally for the minimum when he had some other offers out there).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Golabki wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Golabki wrote:Stuckey does have a bad contract

I don't think he's a "solid guard off the bench", I think he's a fringe rotation player getting paid like a solid guard off the bench. Not many teams a looking for SGs that play medicroe D and can't shoot 3s.

Well, he is a solid guard off the bench. His issues you describe are what make him "not a starter", but as a 3rd guard? He's very useful, and has been good to very good in his time in Indy. He's also been a really solid vet leader in the locker room, too.

Golabki wrote:
And from the celtics perspective the chance he opts in is a pretty large risk. I think he's clearly a bad contract for them.

There might be a team that would give up a little for him if they had cash and needed playmakers (philly would have been a good candidate last year) but it's not the celtics.

Opting in is a risk, but probably not a pretty large one. He's likely to be a guy that opts out and looks to sign somewhere in the same range as what he's making, but over a longer term. I would imagine he opts out and ends up with a 3/$21-25m deal somewhere in free agency, or maybe even a slight paycut, but a full 4 year MLE somewhere.

But this, this is the fair risk and the fair issue to have for Boston.

Ultimately, though, I could see Indy doing a Stuckey for Jerebko/Young deal, but certainly not adding a 1st to it, nor getting the 2nd. If there's much of a value difference, eating Young's deal is likely it. In fact, I'd likely do that deal, and then let Young compete with Jeremy Evans for the 15th roster spot in camp, though, likely, both may end up being cut and just going with 14, or keeping someone else out of camp.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Always a fair question, but Stuckey is still worlds higher in the realm of value than Larkin/Robinson. I know next summer has less cap room floating around than this year, but Stuckey strikes me as a guy that would net a full 4 year MLE somewhere, and value that long-term security.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#19 » by Golabki » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Golabki wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Well, he is a solid guard off the bench. His issues you describe are what make him "not a starter", but as a 3rd guard? He's very useful, and has been good to very good in his time in Indy. He's also been a really solid vet leader in the locker room, too.

Golabki wrote:

Opting in is a risk, but probably not a pretty large one. He's likely to be a guy that opts out and looks to sign somewhere in the same range as what he's making, but over a longer term. I would imagine he opts out and ends up with a 3/$21-25m deal somewhere in free agency, or maybe even a slight paycut, but a full 4 year MLE somewhere.

Ultimately, though, I could see Indy doing a Stuckey for Jerebko/Young deal, but certainly not adding a 1st to it, nor getting the 2nd. If there's much of a value difference, eating Young's deal is likely it. In fact, I'd likely do that deal, and then let Young compete with Jeremy Evans for the 15th roster spot in camp, though, likely, both may end up being cut and just going with 14, or keeping someone else out of camp.

I guess we just disagree - on a good team I think he's a nice 5th guard. If he's your third guard he can give you something, but you should probably look to upgrade.

He's probably better than ish smith though, who just got paid... So I take your point.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Golabki wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Golabki wrote:I don't think he's a "solid guard off the bench", I think he's a fringe rotation player getting paid like a solid guard off the bench. Not many teams a looking for SGs that play medicroe D and can't shoot 3s.

Golabki wrote:

I guess we just disagree - on a good team I think he's a nice 5th guard. If he's your third guard he can give you something, but you should probably look to upgrade.

He's probably better than ish smith though, who just got paid... So I take your point.

I think he's more a 3rd guard, and if he's your 4th guard, you're probably really good in the backcourt. And from my experience at seeing them on the Pacers, he's definitely better than DJ Augustine, especially in a bench role. I haven't watched Ish too awful much, but in the limited amount, it seems like Stuck is better by quite a bit.

Return to Trades and Transactions