GSW-Philly

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Re: GSW-Philly 

Post#21 » by the_process » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:00 am

lakerhater wrote:
oyoyer wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
No doubt about it, Covington is the better player but Thompson fits their backup SG need at a much cheaper price. Again, the W's only need a 10 mpg backup SG.

What would you want added to Thompson for McCaw? Would a future lotto protected 1st swing it?

Now that's an interesting offer. Not sure if I'd pull the trigger or not but it gives me an indicator as to league wide post summer league McCaw value.

Don't use me as a source for value, I think RoCo is worth a late lotto pick and clearly this board disagrees :lol:

I liked McCaw before the draft. Most people may not think of him as highly.

But I personally would definitely do Hollis and say a 2019 lotto protected 1st for McCaw. Throw in Stauskas too if you guys have any interest and can fit him in your cap.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,248

Post#22 » by mademan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:05 am

This is a no brainer for GSW. Covington can play 2-4 and adds to their length/athleticism and gives them another big bodied defender. He's actually a good rotation player. McCaw/Looney are more likely to never become rotation players
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#23 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:19 am

oyoyer wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
oyoyer wrote:
What would you want added to Thompson for McCaw? Would a future lotto protected 1st swing it?

Now that's an interesting offer. Not sure if I'd pull the trigger or not but it gives me an indicator as to league wide post summer league McCaw value.

Don't use me as a source for value, I think RoCo is worth a late lotto pick and clearly this board disagrees :lol:

I liked McCaw before the draft. Most people may not think of him as highly.

But I personally would definitely do Hollis and say a 2019 lotto protected 1st for McCaw. Throw in Stauskas too if you guys have any interest and can fit him in your cap.

W's would have to give that offer a lot of thought and they may well take that deal. They turn a 2nd round pick they bought into a future 1st and get a 3 point shooting backup SG/SF who has an NBA ready body plus 3 seasons under his belt to fill in at backup SG against bigger wings.

Then again they could value McCaw even more than this.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#24 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 am

mademan wrote:This is a no brainer for GSW. Covington can play 2-4 and adds to their length/athleticism and gives them another big bodied defender. He's actually a good rotation player. McCaw/Looney are more likely to never become rotation players

McCaw has already received mention as being one of the steals of the draft.

Looney is up to 240 lbs and is healthy.

Neither is available until the W's know more about them and as mentioned earlier they simply don't need Covington.

I trust in Bob Myers and Jerry West's opinion more than I trust in mademan's so I'm certain the W's don't view those players the way you do.

Just look up a little and you'll see an offer of a lotto protected 19 first for McCaw.
mademan
RealGM

Post#25 » by mademan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:09 am

lakerhater wrote:
mademan wrote:This is a no brainer for GSW. Covington can play 2-4 and adds to their length/athleticism and gives them another big bodied defender. He's actually a good rotation player. McCaw/Looney are more likely to never become rotation players

Neither is available until the W's know more about them and as mentioned earlier they simply don't need Covington.

I trust in Bob Myers and Jerry West's opinion more than I trust in mademan's so I'm certain the W's don't view those players the way you do.

Just look up a little and you'll see an offer of a lotto protected 19 first for McCaw.

A management team talking up the players they drafted...no way.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#26 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:18 am

mademan wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

Way to ignore non GSW sources that are saying McCaw is a steal.

Whether you like it or not GSW views both Looney and McCaw as late first talents and you're not getting 3 first round picks for Covington. Myers was quoted saying the W's had PM higher than 30th on their board on draft day.

You can ignore the W's FO comments about their young prospects all you want but it doesn't change how the team views them.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#27 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:25 am

mademan wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

You say that like they're any old management team when we all know they're one of if not the best.
mademan
RealGM

Post#28 » by mademan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:31 am

lakerhater wrote:
mademan wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

Whether you like it or not GSW views both Looney and McCaw as late first talents and you're not getting 3 first round picks for Covington. Myers was quoted saying the W's had PM higher than 30th on their board on draft day.

You can ignore the W's FO comments about their young prospects all you want but it doesn't change how the team views them.

If you think they have more value to GSW than other teams, thats fine. But without playing a minute, all youre trading is 2 late 1st's and a 2nd rounder which is not enough for Covington.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#29 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:41 am

mademan wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
mademan wrote:

If you think they have more value to GSW than other teams, thats fine. But without playing a minute, all youre trading is 2 late 1st's and a 2nd rounder which is not enough for Covington.

Like I said, the W's had McCaw in the top 30 on their board, went out of their way to buy his rights and there are a handful of objective online sources such as CBS and Bleacher Report that are calling McCaw a steal.

Given those three things you're going to have to pay a late first price for McCaw and Hollis isn't enough to balance that out although I'd gladly give a future (probably late) 2nd for him.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#30 » by Foshan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:44 am

I'd probably do Thompson for McCaw straight up, but that would be all that would remotely interest me from this deal.

Hollis is a solid 15+ min SG, and would thrive with all the open looks and up and down system in GS.

McCaw is being called 'a steal'... that's the term often given to 2nd round picks who actually make the roster. For Philly a guy like that can find lots of minutes to make it or break it.

The idea that Philly would add a '19 lotto protected 1st is nuts.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#31 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:47 am

Foshan wrote:I'd probably do Thompson for McCaw straight up, but that would be all that would remotely interest me from this deal.

Hollis is a solid 15+ min SG, and would thrive with all the open looks and up and down system in GS.

McCaw is being called 'a steal'... that's the term often given to 2nd round picks who actually make the roster. For Philly a guy like that can find lots of minutes to make it or break it.

The idea that Philly would add a '19 lotto protected 1st is nuts.

Absolutely zero chance the W's deal McCaw for H Thompson straight up. W's would gladly give you your choice of Ian Clark or James Michael McAdoo plus a 2nd for HT though.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#32 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:49 am

mademan wrote:
lakerhater wrote:
mademan wrote:

I have Covington valued like most of the board does, a late 1st round pick. You're not getting 3 late firsts for him from GSW.

As of now about half the board sees RC's value as somewhere between a 2nd round pick, two 2nd round picks and a late first on that thread with the poll about his value.

Change McCaw to Ian Clark and you'd have the W's interest. That would make the deal 2 late 1sts for Covington and an even Thompson for Clark exchange or just make it Covington for Looney and the 19 first. That's the most I'd pay for Covington, and I think it's an overpay, take it or leave it.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,744

Post#33 » by azwfan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:22 am

lakerhater wrote:

The facts you are presenting are true, but i am disagreeing with the value you are attaching to the players based on those facts.

Between the Dleague and the NBA Looney has only played in a handful of games and has looked... not so great in those minutes. He needs to show it on the court for him to have any value at all. Right now, we "hope" he can stay healthy, and we "hope" he can play. We don't really know either thing.

McCaw looked good in Summer League, that's a nice start. But really that means jack squat. He's gotta look good in real games against real competition. I think there is a real possibility that Elliot Williams is better than McCaw in training camp. I think we need to "slow our roll" on the McCaw hype train until he's showing he can be effective in the NBA.

Looney is not worth a late 1st at this point. The good news is, if he looks good... maybe he can be worth more by midway through the season (cross fingers).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#34 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:33 am

azwfan wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

The facts you are presenting are true, but i am disagreeing with the value you are attaching to the players based on those facts.

Between the Dleague and the NBA Looney has only played in a handful of games and has looked... not so great in those minutes. He needs to show it on the court for him to have any value at all. Right now, we "hope" he can stay healthy, and we "hope" he can play. We don't really know either thing.

McCaw looked good in Summer League, that's a nice start. But really that means jack squat. He's gotta look good in real games against real competition. I think there is a real possibility that Elliot Williams is better than McCaw in training camp. I think we need to "slow our roll" on the McCaw hype train until he's showing he can be effective in the NBA.

Looney is not worth a late 1st at this point. The good news is, if he looks good... maybe he can be worth more by midway through the season (cross fingers).

Everyone knew Looney needed surgery and it was no surprise he didn't look very explosive when he had a chance to play last season. Who knows what he can do if he can maintain health, I'd like to find out.

I can't help but pick up on Internet chatter pegging McCaw as a steal which is why I can't help but peg him as late first value.

Player values are dynamic and changing all the time, it just so happens McCaws value is charting upwards and I just can't see the W's putting 38th pick value on him at this point.
mademan
RealGM

Post#35 » by mademan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:42 am

Lets slow down on McCaw. You cant be a steal if you havent played a RS minute. Wouldnt be the first time someone overvalued a summer league player; come by the Raps board once in a while.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#36 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 am

mademan wrote:Lets slow down on McCaw. You cant be a steal if you havent played a RS minute. Wouldnt be the first time someone overvalued a summer league player; come by the Raps board once in a while.

You can slow down if you like but it doesn't change my opinion of his value. Instead I think we need to slow down on this idea that Covington is worth 3 late first round picks.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#37 » by bigmean » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:57 am

My counter would be

Hollis Thompson, Jerami Grant and 2019 second round draft pick from Milwaukee or Sacramento (more favorable) for Kevon Looney and Patrick McCaw
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#38 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:05 am

bigmean wrote:My counter would be

Hollis Thompson, Jerami Grant and 2019 second round draft pick from Milwaukee or Sacramento (more favorable) for Kevon Looney and Patrick McCaw

No thanks. Thompson is nice as wing depth but Grant is a poor shooter from distance which doesn't fit well with Kerr's offense and the future pick doesn't help GSW win now.

I see this as 2 second round picks and a player that doesn't fit the W's for 2 late firsts, can't do it.
mademan
RealGM

Post#39 » by mademan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:15 am

lakerhater wrote:
mademan wrote:Lets slow down on McCaw. You cant be a steal if you havent played a RS minute. Wouldnt be the first time someone overvalued a summer league player; come by the Raps board once in a while.

You can slow down if you like but it doesn't change my opinion of his value. Instead I think we need to slow down on this idea that Covington is worth 3 late first round picks.

3 picks that will most likely end up being nothing vs a rotation player on a cheap contract for a contending team. Especially with the possibility/probability of Iggy leaving next summer; seems crazy to value an unknown over a known. But whatevs, youre a fan
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#40 » by lakerhater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:22 am

mademan wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

3 picks that will most likely end up being nothing vs a rotation player on a cheap contract for a contending team. Especially with the possibility/probability of Iggy leaving next summer; seems crazy to value an unknown over a known. But whatevs, youre a fan

Again, I value Bob Myers young player evaluations substantially more than yours in this instance.

I also, obviously, don't put near the value on Covington that you do.

I'm more than happy to keep the Warriors draft picks given Myers and company's draft track record.

Return to Trades and Transactions