Woj Bomb: Ty Lawson to Sacramento

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Re: Woj Bomb: Ty Lawson to Sacramento 

Post#41 » by warren weel im » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:01 am

Biased_Fan6425 wrote:Lawson and Cousins.

Good Luck Coach.. :(
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#42 » by patman52 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:17 am

damecurry wrote:
c3j3h wrote:Obviously this is not great, but as far as talent is concerned Lawson is probably the best of the remaining PGs on the market. Seems to me like this is a low risk move with some potential upside. I'm fine with it.

The 1st part i agree with, but low risk?? This is massively risky youve got a volatile situation with a headcase star and a bunch of young guys and your bringing in maybe the most character issue plagued guy in the league? Heh, good luck with that.

So you cut him, what is the big deal? He is not coming in on a multi-year deal. He is not taking min away from some developing player. I wish him the best of luck in keeping his life turned around.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#43 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:51 am

Should be interesting. Maybe Lawson really does get his act together, and if so it is a great move. But the risk of a totally dysfunctional locker room while Lawson and Collison try to prove value and each earn their next contract could be tumultuous and have some spillover effects.

I wouldn't have taken the gamble, but the upside is there.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#44 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:30 pm

blind prophet wrote:Thrilled if its the room exception.

We need the depth badly.

We take the only real guy left who could have massive upside but will be happy with competence.

Assuming Lawson does well, gonna up my win prediction from 28-29 to 35-36.

The need was that great, and it wasn't going to take a star to make that sort of leap.

If I am pinning you to a single win total prediction number (not a best case versus a worst case etc), what should I right down? :)
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,051

Post#45 » by Laimbeer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Yeah, for one year at this price he'd be pretty easy for the Kings to cut. I'd have liked to see them get a second year team option, if that was possible. If he does well, they haven't gained anything long term - he's just a UFA again.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Post#46 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Milbuck wrote:It's honestly hilarious to me that there are people who blame Boogie for the Kings sucking, like at all.

I find it honestly hilarious that you would absolve him of blame. He has a world of talent, but even a very cursory examination of his game shows he still has significant holes in how he plays the game. His impact does not match his talent. Add to that him not showing positive leadership, but in fact being a significant part of the problem and he absolutely deserves to take some heat for the failures of the franchise.

He's not the biggest problem--that has been ownership/management. But he could and should be doing more. For all the talk we hear about how he just wants to win, he sure does a lot on and off the court that works against that goal.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#47 » by Kings2013 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:28 pm

We need the depth badly.

We take the only real guy left who could have massive upside but will be happy with competence.

The need was that great, and it wasn't going to take a star to make that sort of leap.

Congrats for calling this (I believe). I'm not sure about Lawson, or his fit with the personnel, but I'm guessing the alternatives were weighed and hopefully we have an idea about his fitness/mindset. It is high reward though, where nothing else would look to be in terms of backup PGs still on the market, and we have a coach now. But there is a downside to him if he comes in and plays lackluster and sets a negative tone, as he did in Houston. We will see
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#48 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:36 pm

I still much rather start Collison and let Lawson earn everything. Does Temple play any point?
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#49 » by K_chile22 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Ty Lawson was 319th in estimated wins added at -.9. It's kinda hard to be negative in that stat. Expecting him to add something like 5 wins is just setting yourself up for disappointment. He might do that and might be good again but you shouldn't expect it. He was so bad last year I doubt he will bounce back in one year

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#50 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I still much rather start Collison and let Lawson earn everything. Does Temple play any point?

This makes the temple signing feel very odd to me, even more than it already did.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,571

Re: RE: Re: Woj Bomb: Ty Lawson to Sacramento 

Post#51 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:02 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Ty Lawson was 319th in estimated wins added at -.9. It's kinda hard to be negative in that stat. Expecting him to add something like 5 wins is just setting yourself up for disappointment. He might do that and might be good again but you shouldn't expect it. He was so bad last year I doubt he will bounce back in one year

I by no means am expecting him to add that many wins to our roster, but he won't be the reason we lose. The reason he was so bad last season (aside from his alcohol issues) was fit. He was one of the worst fits next to Harden who is basically the teams pg, his usage went down 6% the moment he got to Houston that's a ton for a guy who is best with the ball in his hands.

The beauty of this move is that lawson can be that guy on sacramento bench. We can run a grit and grind starting lineup of Collison/Afflalo/Gay/WCS/Cousins. The offense will revolve around Cousins and Gay with Afflalo and Collison chipping in. When we go to the bench Lawson can run and play his game with Temple/Casspi/Barnes/Tolliver/Koufos which is a good bench for lawson to get up and down the court with. 2 years ago on Denver he WS of 7, compared to last year .9. I am expecting his play to up closer to 14/15 level than 15/16 but time will tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using RealGM mobile app
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Woj Bomb: Ty Lawson to Sacramento 

Post#52 » by K_chile22 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:09 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Ty Lawson was 319th in estimated wins added at -.9. It's kinda hard to be negative in that stat. Expecting him to add something like 5 wins is just setting yourself up for disappointment. He might do that and might be good again but you shouldn't expect it. He was so bad last year I doubt he will bounce back in one year

I by no means am expecting him to add that many wins to our roster, but he won't be the reason we lose. The reason he was so bad last season (aside from his alcohol issues) was fit. He was one of the worst fits next to Harden who is basically the teams pg, his usage went down 6% the moment he got to Houston that's a ton for a guy who is best with the ball in his hands.

The beauty of this move is that lawson can be that guy on sacramento bench. We can run a grit and grind starting lineup of Collison/Afflalo/Gay/WCS/Cousins. The offense will revolve around Cousins and Gay with Afflalo and Collison chipping in. When we go to the bench Lawson can run and play his game with Temple/Casspi/Barnes/Tolliver/Koufos which is a good bench for lawson to get up and down the court with. 2 years ago on Denver he WS of 7, compared to last year .9. I am expecting his play to up closer to 14/15 level than 15/16 but time will tell.

The Rockets tried playing him without Harden off the bench too.... He played even worse. He was also awful in Indiana. Harden tried to let Lawson handle the ball at the beginning but after he sucked the first 5 or so games Harden took over again. It wasn't fit, it was his personal demons and just plain forgetting how to basketball

That said I don't expect him to be as bad next year, but I definitely don't expect him to be a good backup yet.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#53 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:17 pm

KqWIN wrote:I don't buy that this is a low risk move. Team culture is precious, and one bad egg can rub off on the rest of the team. You could argue that Sacramento's locker room was never good in the first place, but the way to fix that is not by taking flyers on guys like this.

If Collison gets suspended (and he likely will), they weren't going to have a starting-caliber PG on the roster. Nothing impacts culture like racking up a whole bunch of losses. It's a gamble but it's one they really couldn't afford not to take.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,571

Re: RE: Woj Bomb: Ty Lawson to Sacramento 

Post#54 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:23 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

The Rockets tried playing him without Harden off the bench too.... He played even worse. He was also awful in Indiana. Harden tried to let Lawson handle the ball at the beginning but after he sucked the first 5 or so games Harden took over again. It wasn't fit, it was his personal demons and just plain forgetting how to basketball

That said I don't expect him to be as bad next year, but I definitely don't expect him to be a good backup yet.

I'm astonished you truly believe a guy wakes up one day and forgets how to play basketball. Pressure, lack of fit, personal issues, they all factored in. As you said for 5 games Harden tried, not letting lawson be a real pg but just bring the ball up the court and let me do my thing. I love Harden but no doubt he's looking to get his.

No argument on that he was definitely going through some stuff last year, we all have and it's insane to think someone can never rebound from that. It seems he's motivated to get back on track and if he can become half what he was in 14/15 then it's a steal of a pickup and if not he's off the team.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#55 » by damecurry » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:44 pm

patman52 wrote:
damecurry wrote:
c3j3h wrote:Obviously this is not great, but as far as talent is concerned Lawson is probably the best of the remaining PGs on the market. Seems to me like this is a low risk move with some potential upside. I'm fine with it.

The 1st part i agree with, but low risk?? This is massively risky youve got a volatile situation with a headcase star and a bunch of young guys and your bringing in maybe the most character issue plagued guy in the league? Heh, good luck with that.

It doesnt take long to screw up chemistry and they may not recognize the damage until its done. M not saying its a terrible move, just that there is definitely risk involved.

So you cut him, what is the big deal? He is not coming in on a multi-year deal. He is not taking min away from some developing player. I wish him the best of luck in keeping his life turned around.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#56 » by blind prophet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:46 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

We need the depth badly.

If I am pinning you to a single win total prediction number (not a best case versus a worst case etc), what should I right down? :)

35 After Lawson sounds good.

About 7 more wins with the depth than before.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#57 » by blind prophet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:48 pm

I'm not sure you understand the lack of depth before the move was made. A half dead corpse with minimal competence would of led to more wins.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#58 » by patman52 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 pm

I expect Lawson to be closer to the Denver guy than the Houston guy. I always thought that the guy was super talented and playing in a smaller market with less media scrutiny will be helpful to him rebuilding his value.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,758

Post#59 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:07 pm

patman52 wrote:I expect Lawson to be closer to the Denver guy than the Houston guy. I always thought that the guy was super talented and playing in a smaller market with less media scrutiny will be helpful to him rebuilding his value.

I hope the guy turns his life (and career) around. But I bet there is more media scrutiny on him in Sacramento than Houston. And being in Indy didn't do anything to rebuild his value and that's a very anonymous market when the Pacers aren't contending.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#60 » by blind prophet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I don't buy that this is a low risk move. Team culture is precious, and one bad egg can rub off on the rest of the team. You could argue that Sacramento's locker room was never good in the first place, but the way to fix that is not by taking flyers on guys like this.

If Collison gets suspended (and he likely will), they weren't going to have a starting-caliber PG on the roster. Nothing impacts culture like racking up a whole bunch of losses. It's a gamble but it's one they really couldn't afford not to take.

I'm not sure we win a single game if Collison got suspended before, first 8 games.

1. At Phoenix
2. Spurs (back to back)
3. Wolves
4. At Atlanta
5 At Miami
6. At Orlando
7. At Bucks
8. At Toronto (back to back)

With a body back there, I think we beat the Suns and could grab a couple more.

Could of been the difference from an 0-8 start to maybe 3-5 start. After Collison got back obviously we'd have a better team.

Return to Trades and Transactions