KOTB: Phi/Cle A Mo Williams dump

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

KOTB: Phi/Cle A Mo Williams dump 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:10 pm

"If you believe all teams would accept this trade, vote yes. If you believe otherwise, vote no. Please explain your vote."

Philly out: 2018 Philly 2nd top 55 protected (The thing uses to make a trade legal)
Philly in: Mo Williams ($2,194,500 salary), 700k, 2019 second round draft pick from L.A. Lakers or Minnesota (less favorable)

Cle out: Mo Williams ($2,194,500 salary) 700k cash, 2019 second round draft pick from L.A. Lakers or Minnesota (less favorable)
Cleveland in: 2018 Philly 2nd top 55 protected (The thing uses to make a trade legal)

Why?
Philly gets a 2nd in 2019 that probably won't be all that great (Minnesota). But they do so using 2.2m of cap space they would have to use anyway, and get 700k cash on top of it. So, it is buying a 2nd for 1.5m that they had to spend.

For Cleveland, how much they save will depend on how much JR signs for. But slotting him anywhere from 7-12m, it would save a full 5.5m in repeater taxes and then the 2.2m in salary. So I took off the 700k cash, and it saves 7m.
If JR signs for 14m a year, up the repeater tax another 1m in savings to 8m.

And for those not following, Mo Williams sounds done. Hence the salary dump trade:

However, the Cavs are also highly skeptical that Williams, 33, is planning to return in 2016-17, according to a team source. On Saturday, cleveland.com reported that Williams was strongly considering retirement, according to multiple sources close to him.

The front office has heard the same thing, on numerous occasions, just not from the player. Williams, who battled knee and thumb injuries for much of Cleveland's 2016 title run, will now probably make the full $2.2 million he's owed, unless he reaches a buyout agreement with the Cavs as part of his retirement -- should he choose to end his career after 13 seasons.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/08/cavaliers_choose_not_to_waive.html
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Re: KOTB: Phi/Cle A Mo Williams dump 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:16 pm

I vote yes.

Philly is still doing Hinkie type deals and if Williams is retiring then this is really smart value for the Cavs.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#3 » by BullyKing » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:17 pm

Yes.

It's basically a free second for Philly and Cleveland saves a ton of money at a very low cost.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#4 » by FrontPageNews » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:25 pm

Cleveland still has draft picks??

I guess if mo doesn't retire this would be the best move if they really want to save money. But that doesn't seem to be the dan Gilbert way.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#5 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:30 pm

Yes, I think both would do this.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:32 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:Cleveland still has draft picks??

I guess if mo doesn't retire this would be the best move if they really want to save money. But that doesn't seem to be the dan Gilbert way.

Please confirm your official vote. I am assuming this is a no?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:33 pm

Before I weigh in - I need one of our more knowledgeable posters to school me a little on retirement and how that counts against the cap. If a player retires after the guarantee date but before the season starts, does that still count against the cap/tax line?

What I suspect is that Mo wouldn't mind hanging out and getting paid on the bench for the first two-thirds of the season and then attempting one last come back. For obvious reasons, the Cavs aren't okay with that. If he's not interested in playing for the majority of the year, they'd trade him to force a retirement.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HartfordWhalers

Post#8 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:34 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Before I weigh in - I need one of our more knowledgable poster to school me a little on retirement and how that counts against the cap. If a player retires after the guarantee date but before the season starts, does that still count against the cap/tax line?

What I suspect is that Mo wouldn't mind hanging out and getting paid on the bench for the first two-thirds of the season and then attempting one last come back. For obvious reasons, the Cavs aren't okay with that. If he's not interested in playing for the majority of the year, they'd trade him to force a retirement.

They get paid. Tim Duncan for instance is getting his full salary for this year, although SAS stretched it.

{Really far off topic, but I was almost surprised he was salary dumped then which would have been so incredibly weird}
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:37 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Before I weigh in - I need one of our more knowledgable poster to school me a little on retirement and how that counts against the cap. If a player retires after the guarantee date but before the season starts, does that still count against the cap/tax line?

They get paid. Tim Duncan for instance is getting his full salary for this year, although SAS stretched it.

{Really far off topic, but I was almost surprised he was salary dumped then which would have been so incredibly weird}

It's crazy to me that you have to pay a player who is voluntarily deciding not to play and honor the contract.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#10 » by FrontPageNews » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:41 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
FrontPageNews wrote:Cleveland still has draft picks??

Please confirm your official vote. I am assuming this is a no?

I vote yes.
HartfordWhalers

Post#11 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

It's crazy to me that you have to pay a player who is voluntarily deciding not to play and honor the contract.

Well, its a touch more complicated than I suggested -- http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63

But for a guy at retirement age, they in general always get their salary.

Larry Sanders taking roughly half to retire in his prime is the sort of exception that happens because the team does have some leverage. But it also puts it in perspective because you have a guy in his prime walking away and they still get half/
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:52 pm

I guess I vote yes, but much like with the current election, I really wish there was another choice. If Mo were willing to play this year, he'd actually return a second round pick.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
HartfordWhalers

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:55 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I guess I vote yes, but much like with the current election, I really wish there was another choice. If Mo were willing and able to play this year, he'd actually return a second round pick.

I get the sense that he isn't so much able, the body just cannot do it. But yeah, if he were in prime, well end of career prime, Cleveland would just be keeping him for the depth after Delly's departure especially.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 1, 2016 6:01 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I guess I vote yes, but much like with the current election, I really wish there was another choice. If Mo were willing and able to play this year, he'd actually return a second round pick.

I get the sense that he isn't so much able, the body just cannot do it. But yeah, if he were in prime, well end of career prime, Cleveland would just be keeping him for the depth after Delly's departure especially.

I'm not sure he's done, done. I suspect that he wants to hang out for half the season, give it a go, and maybe get another ring. But it's obviously not in the Cavs interest to pay the luxury tax and waste a roster spot for a guy who may or may not come back.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
HartfordWhalers

Post#15 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Phoenix looks to have roster spots open (only brought 17 to camp?), and be ~2m from the floor.

It is too similar of an idea, but put me on record that I like Mo to Phoenix with cash/2nd as an alternative destination than Philly.

Return to Trades and Transactions