Official: MCW for Snell

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Reaction?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:21 am

Good for Bucks, bad for Bulls
21%
Good for Bulls, bad for Bucks
31%
Good for both sides
26%
Bad for both sides
22%

Total votes: 72

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Official: MCW for Snell 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:21 am

Read on Twitter
#thevillain
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Re: Looming: MCW for Snell (Marc Stein) 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:24 am

John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#3 » by FrontPageNews » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:41 am

The Bulls might have the worst shooting team in the modern era. Mcw is terrible.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#4 » by HornetJail » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:42 am

I don't know how both teams managed to screw up a trade for players of such low caliber but here we are.

MCW makes zero sense for Chicago- they already have Rondo and Wade who are among the worst 3-point shooters at their positions, and Butler is the other backcourt player who also is way more of an interior scorer than a perimeter threat. MCW will only compound this issue, and it doesn't help that he's not good at anything else either.

Snell is a lower caliber player that can shoot okay but he's not the answer for Milwaukee. Might have been better off hoping something clicked for MCW.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#5 » by dorkestra » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:42 am

Damn I have to admit I am a little surprised at just how little MCW seems to worth. For instance, I thought the McLemore deal seemed reasonable.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#6 » by GimmeDat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:34 am

At the end of the day, this is a scrap for scrap deal, but re: the shooting, you have to remember that MCW will be in the 2nd unit, which includes Valentine, McDermott and Mirotic (and Felicio at C). In that lineup, he's not a bad fit. Provides some much needed defense, the floor is spaced for him, and Valentine will help run the offense.

We have shooters, the problem is, none of our major pieces are shooters, and that starting lineup is going to have terrible spacing, especially if Gibson starts. The 2nd unit is the complete opposite, all gunning but none of the grittiness.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#7 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:07 am

Snell is a very talented player that will absolutely flourish under the right coach and in the right environment. Send him to SAS and watch him develop into a starter.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#8 » by bondom34 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:07 am

Basically junk for junk. That said I lean toward the Bucks doing better, Chicago somehow managed to get even worse shooting and at least it seems like there is a smaller body of work of Snell sucking than MCW, so maybe there's a minimal chance that he's a rotation player.

That said, meh. Really Philly wins.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#9 » by Prez » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:13 am

Snell and MCW are similar levels of ass, but the major difference is in what they do about it. Snell is a guy who can't do much and doesn't try to. MCW is a guy who can't do much but feels the need to show he can, every goddamn second he's on the court. Playing with Snell is like playing 4 on 5 a lot of the time, he can be invisible. Playing with MCW is like playing 4 on 6, where he might as well switch jerseys.

If Snell can come in and give us like 20 minutes of passable defense, stay out of the way and hit like 35% of his open 3s, meh. He can suck, just don't force your suckage on the rest of the team like MCW.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#10 » by AussieBuck » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:40 am

Jason Terry's corpse, second round pick Brogdon and Rashad freaking Vaughn are our other SG options. We've had Giannis chasing little dudes around in the preseason. This works fine for us. Don't see it for the Bulls though unless they get rid of Rondo early and can use MCW off the bench or something.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by GimmeDat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:46 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:Snell is a very talented player that will absolutely flourish under the right coach and in the right environment. Send him to SAS and watch him develop into a starter.

He was the same under Thibs. He is what he is, I think. His problem is a lack of confidence and an aversion to physical play, coupled with inconsistent, if largely average, shooting.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#12 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:57 am

GimmeDat wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:Snell is a very talented player that will absolutely flourish under the right coach and in the right environment. Send him to SAS and watch him develop into a starter.

He was the same under Thibs. He is what he is, I think. His problem is a lack of confidence and an aversion to physical play, coupled with inconsistent, if largely average, shooting.

Thibs had no patience for developing him. That's not a knock on Thibs, Snell just doesn't have the sort of personality that thrives under a guy like Thibs. Give him to Pop and see how he turns out.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by GimmeDat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:49 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Thibs had no patience for developing him. That's not a knock on Thibs, Snell just doesn't have the sort of personality that thrives under a guy like Thibs. Give him to Pop and see how he turns out.

I don't think that's true at all.. on a playoff basketball team, Snell was often used in heavy minutes as a 5th starter when injuries were apparent. If you look at his rookie year game log, he logged games with really heavy minutes for a rookie, including a 10 game or so stretch averaging about 35mpg.

Admittedly, the minutes were inconsistent and would dry up when the roster was healthy, but that was justified - he simply was not good enough to justify minutes.

Similarly, he got great minutes through most of his sophomore year (20mpg).

I'm not sure what more Thibs was supposed to do. He's generally conservative about using young players, but for Snell, he was given ample opportunity; in fact, probably more than he deserved relative to his promise/production.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#14 » by Foshan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:57 am

Philly would send you Hollis Thompson for MCW back if Snell doesn't work out. Hollis is a lights out shooter if he doesn't have to do anything else on offense (which he wouldn't looking at MIL roster).
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#15 » by Slava » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:04 pm

This makes some sense for Chicago and I like it more for them than most others do. MCW will be playing with Valentine, McDermott, Mirotic so the lack of shooting can be compensated.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#16 » by the_process » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:26 pm

This is a win for Chicago IMO. Snell is not very good. At least MCW plays D.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,185

Post#17 » by brackdan70 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:30 pm

dorkestra wrote:Damn I have to admit I am a little surprised at just how little MCW seems to worth. For instance, I thought the McLemore deal seemed reasonable.

Snell is a much better fit for Milwaukee than McLemroe would have been IMO. I am surprised a little by the Value too. i thought he would be worth a touch more.
Sign here
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#18 » by K_chile22 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Snell is bad. But he was (sadly) one of the Bulls best shooters. Trading him for MCW, who is also bad but can't shoot, makes no sense. This also pushes Isiah Canaan back in the rotation and although he too is bad, he needs to play because of his shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,180

Post#19 » by Statlanta » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm

I don't see why some people are looking on how the Bucks traded MCW for so little value. I don't think anybody would give up much on their respective teams for him and everybody keeps pointing out how bad of a shooter and defender he is. I also wouldn't compare MCW's 1st trade to this because the league had different values on different players at the time.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#20 » by Slava » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:13 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Snell is bad. But he was (sadly) one of the Bulls best shooters. Trading him for MCW, who is also bad but can't shoot, makes no sense. This also pushes Isiah Canaan back in the rotation and although he too is bad, he needs to play because of his shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app

Bulls can alter their rotation to generate some spacing:

Rondo - MCW
Wade - Valentine/Canaan
Butler - McDermott
Mirotic - Portis
Lopez - Gibson/Felicio

The only spacing crunch I can see is when Wade has to play with either Rondo or MCW in the backcourt and if it becomes too untenable you can always insert either Valentine, McDermott or Canaan into the line up and have Wade handle the ball.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Trades and Transactions