Official: MCW for Snell

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Reaction?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:21 am

Good for Bucks, bad for Bulls
21%
Good for Bulls, bad for Bucks
31%
Good for both sides
26%
Bad for both sides
22%

Total votes: 72

Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Re: Looming: MCW for Snell (Marc Stein) 

Post#21 » by Prez » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Slava wrote:This makes some sense for Chicago and I like it more for them than most others do. MCW will be playing with Valentine, McDermott, Mirotic so the lack of shooting can be compensated.

The problem is, MCW's biggest weakness isn't even his shooting. It's his awful BBIQ, feel, decision making, handles, ball dominance, etc too. He's basically what you'd get if you took a Tony Allen-level offensive guard and instilled in him delusions of greatness and gave him a ROY to validate it.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,800

Post#22 » by HotelVitale » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:16 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:Snell is a very talented player that will absolutely flourish under the right coach and in the right environment. Send him to SAS and watch him develop into a starter.

He was the same under Thibs. He is what he is, I think. His problem is a lack of confidence and an aversion to physical play, coupled with inconsistent, if largely average, shooting.

Yeah, he had a pretty wonderful set up in CHI: 20-25 minutes per night of defending, shooting corner threes, taking two dribbles and making a decision. Literally 95% of his 3s were assisted, and he was never asked to do anything more on offense. Simple role perfectly suited to his strengths and he just wasn't good at it (and was esp bad last year). If he's better somewhere else, it's because he got over something or simply became better, not because he didn't have a good situation and a solid staff helping him succeed.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#23 » by Slava » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Milbuck wrote:
Slava wrote:This makes some sense for Chicago and I like it more for them than most others do. MCW will be playing with Valentine, McDermott, Mirotic so the lack of shooting can be compensated.

The problem is, MCW's biggest weakness isn't even his shooting. It's his awful BBIQ, feel, decision making, handles, ball dominance, etc too. He's basically what you'd get if you took a Tony Allen-level offensive guard and instilled in him delusions of greatness and gave him a ROY to validate it.

Well if playing alongside Wade, Butler and Rondo along with getting traded twice within his rookie contract doesn't instil some humility in him, he might go the Dion Waiters route next year.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Slava » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:37 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:Snell is a very talented player that will absolutely flourish under the right coach and in the right environment. Send him to SAS and watch him develop into a starter.

I wish this narrative would stop. San Antonio isn't some magical blender that turns **** into strawberry banana smoothie. Snell had the most minimal of roles under a couple of very good coaches and still failed due to lack of assertiveness and an aversion to the smallest bit of responsibility. Popovich would lose his mind over guys like those.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#25 » by Smitty731 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 pm

This trade is fine for the Bucks. Snell could give them something they need. They need a wing in the worst way, so I'm fine with them taking a flyer in Snell.

I don't get it for the Bulls. There aren't many minutes for Carter-Williams behind Rondo. And the Bulls also like Jerian Grant as a prospect. Snell can also play some SF (some, not a lot and not really well), so he helps there too.

This trade probably won't mean much for either side, but I like it a touch more for the Bucks than the Bulls.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#26 » by bondom34 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Seems official.

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Post#27 » by jayjaysee » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:02 pm

I don't know if I was wrong and Tony Snell is worth more than I thought or I was wrong and MCW is actually worth nothing.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Re: RE: Re: Looming: MCW for Snell (Marc Stein) 

Post#28 » by K_chile22 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:07 pm

Slava wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Snell is bad. But he was (sadly) one of the Bulls best shooters. Trading him for MCW, who is also bad but can't shoot, makes no sense. This also pushes Isiah Canaan back in the rotation and although he too is bad, he needs to play because of his shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app

Bulls can alter their rotation to generate some spacing:

Rondo - MCW
Wade - Valentine/Canaan
Butler - McDermott
Mirotic - Portis
Lopez - Gibson/Felicio

The only spacing crunch I can see is when Wade has to play with either Rondo or MCW in the backcourt and if it becomes too untenable you can always insert either Valentine, McDermott or Canaan into the line up and have Wade handle the ball.

I don't think having one and sometimes two above average shooters on the floor at a time is enough. They have 3 of those on the entire roster and they are all bad defensively.

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Slava » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:19 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Slava wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Snell is bad. But he was (sadly) one of the Bulls best shooters. Trading him for MCW, who is also bad but can't shoot, makes no sense. This also pushes Isiah Canaan back in the rotation and although he too is bad, he needs to play because of his shooting.

Rondo - MCW
Wade - Valentine/Canaan
Butler - McDermott
Mirotic - Portis
Lopez - Gibson/Felicio

The only spacing crunch I can see is when Wade has to play with either Rondo or MCW in the backcourt and if it becomes too untenable you can always insert either Valentine, McDermott or Canaan into the line up and have Wade handle the ball.

I don't think having one and sometimes two above average shooters on the floor at a time is enough. They have 3 of those on the entire roster and they are all bad defensively.

That second unit has 2 reliable shooters, one rookie and Gibson who isn't half bad himself from midrange. None of those are defensive sieves either.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,128

Post#30 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:20 pm

MCW can defend the position well. This is pretty awful value for him and he's going to a team that already really struggles to shoot out of the back court. I don't get this at all unless this just Kidd saying he's got to go.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#31 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I don't know if I was wrong and Tony Snell is worth more than I thought or I was wrong and MCW is actually worth nothing.

Snell is worth more than you thought. He's going to be a very useful piece for Milwaukee. I voted both teams won the trade but in hindsight I'm going to say Milwaukee won it because it's just not clear what use MCW will be to Chicago.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
K_chile22
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Looming: MCW for Snell (Marc Stein) 

Post#32 » by K_chile22 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Slava wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
Slava wrote:

Rondo - MCW
Wade - Valentine/Canaan
Butler - McDermott
Mirotic - Portis
Lopez - Gibson/Felicio

That second unit has 2 reliable shooters, one rookie and Gibson who isn't half bad himself from midrange. None of those are defensive sieves either.

I wouldn't count on a Valentine being an above average three point shooter from 3 yet. He will probably, like many rookie, take time to adjust. The only guys you can count on to shoot 35%+ are Mirotic, McD, and Canaan

K_chile22
RealGM

Post#33 » by K_chile22 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I don't know if I was wrong and Tony Snell is worth more than I thought or I was wrong and MCW is actually worth nothing.

Yes.

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#34 » by TKainZero » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Tony snell is the the NBA version of the tin man.

He has no heart
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#35 » by Ricepilar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:24 am

That Brandon Knight / MCW / Laker pick trade was such a disaster for the Bucks. Wow.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#36 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 am

The poll needs one more option: Doesn't move the needle for either team (long-term).
I'd say it favors the Bucks, but not by much.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#37 » by DeathLineup » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:07 am

To those people that praise this deal for Bulls with the idea that MCW will play with the bench guys, Bulls acquired Grant just recently this offseason. He is a decent prospect. Plus they also have Canaan, who's a quite dependable back up guard.

They actually don't need to acquire MCW. No, not at all.
#thevillain
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#38 » by Woody Allen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:00 am

I think the posters who are trying really hard to rationalize the trade have never actually seen Snell and are treating this like NBA 2K. Snell is not an NBA caliber talent and belongs in a lower end European team or in China. Skills wise there's nothing he can offer. Quite a few undrafted players from this year are just as good as him. This has nothing to do with how good a fit MCW is with the Bulls. They can't just waive MCW now and still wouldn't be the losers of the trade.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#39 » by damecurry » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:59 am

Slava wrote:

I wish this narrative would stop. San Antonio isn't some magical blender that turns **** into strawberry banana smoothie. Snell had the most minimal of roles under a couple of very good coaches and still failed due to lack of assertiveness and an aversion to the smallest bit of responsibility. Popovich would lose his mind over guys like those.

I love when fans and outsiders post on the internet about intangibles and very under the surface, off-court circumstances and decisions like they are obvious facts that only idiots don't know. It's hilarious. Like you know the specific reasons snell "failed" in his specific circumstances, or the OP knows Snell would flourish under the right circumstances (aka SAS, which is the one thing I agree with you on is that I hate there's a perception that because they've maximised a few guys like danny green and diaw there some magic factory.) None of us actually know any of this crap so maybe we should stop pretending otherwise? Snell has had some obvious glimmers and has some degree of talent that he has not capitalised on yet. Will he ever? Perhaps, perhaps not, but neither of you know him nor the specifics of his personality so having pretensions otherwise is pretty vain and ridiculous imo.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#40 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:09 am

damecurry wrote:
Slava wrote:

I love when fans and outsiders post on the internet about intangibles and very under the surface, off-court circumstances and decisions like they are obvious facts that only idiots don't know. It's hilarious. Like you know the specific reasons snell "failed" in his specific circumstances, or the OP knows Snell would flourish under the right circumstances (aka SAS, which is the one thing I agree with you on is that I hate there's a perception that because they've maximised a few guys like danny green and diaw there some magic factory.) None of us actually know any of this crap so maybe we should stop pretending otherwise? Snell has had some obvious glimmers and has some degree of talent that he has not capitalised on yet. Will he ever? Perhaps, perhaps not, but neither of you know him nor the specifics of his personality so having pretensions otherwise is pretty vain and ridiculous imo.

Is it really necessary to tee off on me like this? Maybe SAS would be good for him, maybe the Warriors, maybe a dozen other teams. The point is "under the right coach and in the right environment." He's talented, he's shown he can be an offensive focal point against lesser competition and he has the physical tools to be effective against the best players. With the right situation it's reasonable to believe he can put those things together and turn into an effective NBA player. I really hope he plays well in Milwaukee so you jackals can eat some crow.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.

Return to Trades and Transactions