Rumor: Aldridge

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,461

Re: Rumor: Aldridge 

Post#121 » by Chinook » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 pm

AllHype3 wrote:Hows about....

Okafor and Saric to Spurs
LMA to Bulls
Butler to Sixers

What adjustments are needed to make everybody happy?

Imagine Bulls fans will be unhappy with the return, Sixers fans with the direction and Spurs fans with being in this trade at all. But I appreciate that you didn't try to discount LMA. Probably discounting Butler, though.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#122 » by BullyKing » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Chinook wrote:
AllHype3 wrote:Hows about....

Okafor and Saric to Spurs
LMA to Bulls
Butler to Sixers

What adjustments are needed to make everybody happy?

Imagine Bulls fans will be unhappy with the return, Sixers fans with the direction and Spurs fans with being in this trade at all. But I appreciate that you didn't try to discount LMA. Probably discounting Butler, though.

This Sixers fan would be fine with this.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rumor: Aldridge 

Post#123 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Plus your next 3 draft picks.

If Toronto is serious about making that final push I would love to pair LMA with Jonas Valanciunas, Lowry and DeRozan. We would have a average bench with Powell and Joseph but that team is a challenger for a ring.

I would counter with Poeltl, Ross, Patterson plus our 2017 1st and The Clippers 2017 pick and a swap in 2018 or a unprotected 2019 1st for LMA and Joel Anthony (depth C) not sure if both teams would do that

The swap shouldn't be much value so just go to the 2019 unprotected. Which would be a fascinating trade.

LMA looks to be an absolutely perfect with with that Toronto roster, and I wouldn't have any issue with someone favoring them over Cleveland if it happened.

SAS gets a lot of depth versus a cornerstone in return which might be an issue, but between 3 1sts and Poetl and the usefulness of Patterson it really isn't bad at all.

Yeah that is how I felt the pick swap favors Toronto as The Spurs would be a 30-35 win team. Only thing Toronto would need is maybe a true backup small forward I wonder if Philly would do Covington for Wright and Bruno and a second gives Toronto a team of

PG: Lowry/Joseph/Vanfleet
SG: DeRozan/Powell/Vanfleet
SF: Carroll/Covington/FA
PF: Aldridge/Sullinger/
C: Jonas Valanciunas/Bebe/Anthony

That isn't too bad
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#124 » by Chinook » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 pm

The Spurs don't have enough salary spots as it is. In terms of value, it doesn't seem bad. But it's just not a workable deal. Even if you move Ross to a third team for assets, it would be awkward.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#125 » by Smitty731 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Joel Anthony isn't eligible to be traded until December. And keeping him for trade purposes means the Spurs will have to cut another younger player they might rather keep.

Not a huge stumbling block, but one none the less.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rumor: Aldridge 

Post#126 » by Mykhyn » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:If Toronto is serious about making that final push I would love to pair LMA with Jonas Valanciunas, Lowry and DeRozan. We would have a average bench with Powell and Joseph but that team is a challenger for a ring.

I would counter with Poeltl, Ross, Patterson plus our 2017 1st and The Clippers 2017 pick and a swap in 2018 or a unprotected 2019 1st for LMA and Joel Anthony (depth C) not sure if both teams would do that

The swap shouldn't be much value so just go to the 2019 unprotected. Which would be a fascinating trade.

LMA looks to be an absolutely perfect with with that Toronto roster, and I wouldn't have any issue with someone favoring them over Cleveland if it happened.

SAS gets a lot of depth versus a cornerstone in return which might be an issue, but between 3 1sts and Poetl and the usefulness of Patterson it really isn't bad at all.

Yeah that is how I felt the pick swap favors Toronto as The Spurs would be a 30-35 win team. Only thing Toronto would need is maybe a true backup small forward I wonder if Philly would do Covington for Wright and Bruno and a second gives Toronto a team of

That isn't too bad

You think losing Aldridge would make us be 30 games worse? I'd be surprised if it cost us more than 5-7. We still out execute teams which wins a lot of regular season games.

I don't think Spurs would be looking for a bunch of dimes though. 2 50 cent pieces or a comparable player or potential or a top pick in 2017 is the only thing that would make sense. We don't have roster space as it stands. So if we to cut people someones gotta pay their value
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Re: RE: Re: Rumor: Aldridge 

Post#127 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:31 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Troubadour wrote:Any interest in Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson and Jakob Poeltl?

(semi-serious - not really sure where LMA fits)

If Toronto is serious about making that final push I would love to pair LMA with Jonas Valanciunas, Lowry and DeRozan. We would have a average bench with Powell and Joseph but that team is a challenger for a ring.

That's a low ball offer for a player the quality of LMA. You're offering roll players and draft picks in the high 20's.

Boston can beat any offer that the Raps put forward.

Johnson, Brown, Smart and the 2018 Brooklyn pick plus 1 additional number 1 and 2 2nds. If the Spurs want to move LMA and Mills this is a great package.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#128 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:35 am

Smitty731 wrote:Joel Anthony isn't eligible to be traded until December. And keeping him for trade purposes means the Spurs will have to cut another younger player they might rather keep.

Not a huge stumbling block, but one none the less.

He would seem to be trade resticted but he ESPN trade machine doesn't have him listed with a restriction. Not saying there isn't one but I think that's the confusion.

Rather than Anthony the spurs could put patty mills in the deal something and get a Rozier back.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#129 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:36 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

That's a low ball offer for a player the quality of LMA. You're offering roll players and draft picks in the high 20's.

Johnson, Brown, Smart and the 2018 Brooklyn pick plus 1 additional number 1 and 2 2nds. If the Spurs want to move LMA this is a great package.

Except the Celtics would never offer it
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#130 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:42 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:If Toronto is serious about making that final push I would love to pair LMA with Jonas Valanciunas, Lowry and DeRozan. We would have a average bench with Powell and Joseph but that team is a challenger for a ring.

Johnson, Brown, Smart and the 2018 Brooklyn pick plus 1 additional number 1 and 2 2nds. If the Spurs want to move LMA this is a great package.

Except the Celtics would never offer it

Why not? It's a win now move.
BringtheD
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#131 » by BringtheD » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:46 am

Wacky. That's like five top shelf assets for Aldridge when a player of his caliber is probably worth three 's those assets at most.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rumor: Aldridge 

Post#132 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:11 am

Cklbmk wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

That isn't too bad

You think losing Aldridge would make us be 30 games worse? I'd be surprised if it cost us more than 5-7. We still out execute teams which wins a lot of regular season games.

I don't think Spurs would be looking for a bunch of dimes though. 2 50 cent pieces or a comparable player or potential or a top pick in 2017 is the only thing that would make sense. We don't have roster space as it stands. So if we to cut people someones gotta pay their value

It's not just Aldridge your losing, you lost Duncan who in my mind was among the best leaders on the court ever. Going from two very good front court players to Jonas Valanciunas and Patterson plus what you have I don't see The Spurs as a 50+ win team I see them capping out maybe at 40 if Pop gets the maximum from his new guys. The West is too strong but that is my two cents.

As for Boston using 95% of their assets I doubt that happens, they would be foolish to move both Brooklyn picks plus Brown and Smart. They would want a younger star for that kind of deal like a Paul George, Blake Griffin (if he was locked up to a 2-3 year deal) Kevin Love etc. It's not that Aldridge isn't very good it's just he is 32 and could work for them or really backfire quick.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
NBAMythbuster
Junior
And1: 99

Post#133 » by NBAMythbuster » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:13 am

The Spurs were 18-4 in games Duncan missed (if we include his 8 minute bench cameo), and Duncan was playing low minutes in the games he did play. This idea the Spurs will be much weaker without Duncan doesn't hold water at all. If Kawhi suffers a major injury then maybe we can talk.

Some of these lowball LMA offers are also just headshakers. He's obviously become really undervalued if a few vague rumours like this make you think he'll be moved for this sort of value (if at all).
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Post#134 » by torotoe » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Chinook wrote:Nurkic is the only asset in that trade that I'd want on the Spurs. One of Denver's young guards should be included instead of Barton and a first, and another one of Denver's forwards should replace Faried.

Like I said, the fit is not there, but that is plenty of value for a 31 year old star player.

What you are suggesting is too much to give up unless San Antonio is willing to attach assets to LMA.

My other offer would be Nurkic, Barton, Chandler for LMA and a 2nd. If you don't like Barton, he's a good player on a 3m/yr deal, find a third team.

You are not getting Mudiay, Murray, or Jokic for an aging (non-super)star. Nurkic as a centerpiece is hard to beat, realistically.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#135 » by Mykhyn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:33 pm

torotoe wrote:
Chinook wrote:Nurkic is the only asset in that trade that I'd want on the Spurs. One of Denver's young guards should be included instead of Barton and a first, and another one of Denver's forwards should replace Faried.

Like I said, the fit is not there, but that is plenty of value for a 31 year old star player.

What you are suggesting is too much to give up unless San Antonio is willing to attach assets to LMA.

My other offer would be Nurkic, Barton, Chandler for LMA and a 2nd. If you don't like Barton, he's a good player on a 3m/yr deal, find a third team.

You are not getting Mudiay, Murray, or Jokic for an aging (non-super)star. Nurkic as a centerpiece is hard to beat, realistically.

That value just isn't enough. One of the lowest value packages being thrown around. We'd just take a different package
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#136 » by mlloyd10 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Knight/Bender for LMA
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#137 » by Chinook » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:10 pm

torotoe wrote:

No offense, but I think you're the one not being realistic. Young players who have potential but weren't elite prospects are not more valuable than a player in his prime who's strung together five straight All-Star appearances. You wanna protect Jokic and Mudiay? Understandable. We can haggle over Murray too. But guys like Harris, Nurkic and Gallo aren't so awesome that the Spurs should be happy about trading for only two of them.
NBAMythbuster
Junior
And1: 99

Post#138 » by NBAMythbuster » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Knight/Bender for LMA

This is laughably insufficient value. Knight's not even especially good, and Bender has proven nothing. The Spurs aren't moving an all-nba big for anything like this package, never mind the PR hit they'd take.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#139 » by Chinook » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:47 pm

I don't think that Suns offer is horrible value if the Spurs are high on Bender as well. But the Suns should have the spare prospects to even things out while still keeping their real core young guys.

But this would be a set-up for the classic, "Suns wouldn't trade Bender for LMA, because Bender could end up being a really good player in like five years." argument. We've been seeing it with every trade offer pretty much. Just want to assert again that present-for-future trades are supposed to favor the team trading away the present player. The future has to be discounted and controlled for it being uncertain. If Bender had no chance of being as good or better than LMA, then he isn't supposed to be a centerpiece in a deal like this.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#140 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:50 pm

NBAMythbuster wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:Knight/Bender for LMA

This is laughably insufficient value. Knight's not even especially good, and Bender has proven nothing. The Spurs aren't moving an all-nba big for anything like this package, never mind the PR hit they'd take.

The difference here is not how much Knight and Bender are valued. Its how much LMA is valued. As a Suns fan, I would not do that deal, and I am sure SA would not either. Knight is tradeable, but there is just too much potential there with Bender to trade him away at this point. He is a very good perimeter defender already, which bodes well for his future. Its all right for the Suns to stick with young players at this stage of rebuilding.

Return to Trades and Transactions