Rumor (Scotto): Mia/Sac talking Dragic for Gay/Collinson

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 618

Re: Rumor (Scotto): Mia/Sac talking Dragic for Gay/Collinson 

Post#121 » by sackings916 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:30 am

If Gay and Collison don't get it done Kings should decline and stand pat
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#122 » by Jack Dempsey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:29 am

Texas Chuck wrote:yeah dude, expiring contracts used to be trade assets regardless of hte player attached. We aren't in that world anymore. Bad expirings can definitely be negative value.

May I ask why? What has changed?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#123 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:35 am

Jack Dempsey wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:yeah dude, expiring contracts used to be trade assets regardless of hte player attached. We aren't in that world anymore. Bad expirings can definitely be negative value.

May I ask why? What has changed?

The biggest change is the new CBA. Used to be plenty of teams willing to pay tax and to stay in the tax year after year. So they would be willing to trade expirings for better players but on bad contracts--essentially buying talent. My Mavs were the team who made the most of this:

pile of junk for Juwan
expiring Juwan for NVE and Lafrentz
expiring NVE for Jamison
expiring Walker for JET and Henderson
expiring Henderson for Van Horn
expiring Laettner for Dampier
expiring Stackhouse for Marion
expiring Howard for Haywood, Tuff Juice, and DeShawn
expiring Dampier for Chandler

And Dallas was in the tax all of those years, but Cuban was willing to pay so teams who wanted to move on from guys were happy to take back expirings.

Now the tax penalties are really severe which means less owners outside of Cleveland are willing to pay and pay and pay. And more directly important: teams have done a much better job managing the cap--a lot less stupid contracts handed out(this past summer notwithstanding) which means fewer teams need the future cap relief an expiring provides plus we have had teams operating well under the cap.

But just this summer we saw the Bulls pay to move Calderon, the Warriors paid to move Bogut, the Mavs paid to move Evans, etc...
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#124 » by bondom34 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#125 » by gom » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:41 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

No surprise to anyone in Miami really. Jackson, by the way, is one of our best local reporters.

This is in response to Alex Kennedy's tweet:

Read on Twitter

Rudy Gay still may be moved with that attitude, but not to Miami.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#126 » by becorz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:46 pm

gom wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

No surprise to anyone in Miami really. Jackson, by the way, is one of our best local reporters.

This is in response to Alex Kennedy's tweet:

Read on Twitter

Rudy Gay still may be moved with that attitude, but not to Miami.

Zach Lowe and I have the same response to the Rudy article today.
Read on Twitter
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#127 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:12 pm

becorz wrote:Zach Lowe and I have the same response to the Rudy article today.
Read on Twitter

Especially after Vivek himself confirmed the meeting happened. Its not like it is 'league sources' that we can doubt, but the owner on the record saying he had to fly in for that meeting.

Vivek really should have just done that interview entirely different. Just stonewall when asked about Gay with a "If we didn't feel fully comfortable in our roster, then our roster would already look different. And feel free to talk to Vlade more on any specifics."
caliban
NBA TnT Forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 3,231

Post#128 » by caliban » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:08 pm

So the dots are; Dragic (MIA) for Gay (SAC), Rubio for Gay (SAC), Payne for Gay (SAC). I'm guessing that SAC with Gay wanting out wants a point-guard in return and doing their best to create a market. It's just guess of course, do not run with this.

What point guard can they get for Gay right now, Mack and Rudy to a 3rd team?
20-21 apbrMetrics RMSE Team win projections winner. Three time RMSE runner up
RGM TnT board Team Win predictions winner
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,482

Post#129 » by jayjaysee » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Why not tie Evans in? NO should give Evans for Rudy. Should add some small sweetener imo. Reke is an actual expiring, which was a hang-up itt for a couple pages.

I still like my Reke+protected first for Dragic idea a lot though :(
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#130 » by wolves_89 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:28 pm

caliban wrote:So the dots are; Dragic (MIA) for Gay (SAC), Rubio for Gay (SAC), Payne for Gay (SAC). I'm guessing that SAC with Gay wanting out wants a point-guard in return and doing their best to create a market. It's just guess of course, do not run with this.

What point guard can they get for Gay right now, Mack and Rudy to a 3rd team?

At this point I don't think the Kings can trade Gay for a PG that would help. The Heat sound like Dragic isn't getting moved unless the team decides to tank. Rubio isn't getting moved until Dunn forces the issue, which based on pre-season play is not happening anytime soon. There is a chance that a starting caliber PG becomes available at the trade deadline, but even if one does become available I doubt half a season of Gay would be anywhere close value-wise.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#131 » by BBallFreak » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 am

jayjaysee wrote:Why not tie Evans in? NO should give Evans for Rudy. Should add some small sweetener imo. Reke is an actual expiring, which was a hang-up itt for a couple pages.

I don't. Does very little for Miami. Seems light on value. Reke isn't a player I'd expect to contribute.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,482

Post#132 » by jayjaysee » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:56 am

BBallFreak wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Why not tie Evans in? NO should give Evans for Rudy. Should add some small sweetener imo. Reke is an actual expiring, which was a hang-up itt for a couple pages.

I don't. Does very little for Miami. Seems light on value. Reke isn't a player I'd expect to contribute.

If we are to believe this rumor is just bogus - it isn't great value.

If we are to assume Gay+Collison is being considered, Reke and a first would be better.

And if it were a three team deal, with something like Tyreke+Philly2nd for Rudy tied in, that would still be better long term than Rudy+Collison imo.

So I guess, it's up to if you put any weight to the rumor or not. Which clearly you don't anymore.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#133 » by BBallFreak » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:13 am

jayjaysee wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

If we are to assume Gay+Collison is being considered, Reke and a first would be better.

And if it were a three team deal, with something like Tyreke+Philly2nd for Rudy tied in, that would still be better long term than Rudy+Collison imo.

So I guess, it's up to if you put any weight to the rumor or not. Which clearly you don't anymore.

No, it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with Riley wanting to rebuild and compete at the same time. You can't sell Reke and a future first to the fans or free agents. You sell a team that's pushing for the playoffs.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#134 » by puppa bear » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:40 am

BBallFreak wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:I don't. Does very little for Miami. Seems light on value. Reke isn't a player I'd expect to contribute.

No, it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with Riley wanting to rebuild and compete at the same time. You can't sell Reke and a future first to the fans or free agents. You sell a team that's pushing for the playoffs.

Exactly, Heat had 43 & 47 wins in the seasons before the big-3, so competing is part of how Riley sells the team/franchise to FAs. This year may be a tank year with Bosh out, but I think he'll want to see what he has with the Dragic/Whiteside pairing before breaking it up - there is potential there as a really good 2-3 punch. If that's the case and we just need the 1, then a deal like puts us backwards.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,538

Post#135 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Rudy Gay had been in Sacramento barely a year, but he had the franchised figured out.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

An aside on Gay: He’s quoted in an advance copy of George Karl’s forthcoming book “Furious George,” due to be published in January by Harper-Colins, as telling Karl when he met the new Sacramento coach for the first time in February 2015, “Welcome to basketball hell.”

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/22/report-when-kings-hired-george-karl-rudy-gay-greeted-him-with-welcome-to-basketball-hell/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Return to Trades and Transactions