Rumor (Cleveland.com): Cavs in talks to acquire a backup pg

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,801

Re: Rumor (Cleveland.com): Cavs in talks to acquire a backup pg 

Post#81 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:04 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Jack is still injured.

how long though, unless they're desperate its a good way to get a quality backup P.G without the need to trade anyone out.

Should say something that Atlanta is either giving his roster spot to Will Bynum (hasn't played in 2 years and wasn't good then) or just going into the season with Schro and Delaney... Jack should have been considered very important as a vet behind Dennis, with Delaney unproven as well..

But, he claims he will be ready for full practices soon..

FYI Atlanta cut Bynum today.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#82 » by RightToCensor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:13 pm

The Timberwolves inquired about Shumpert, so I came up with Iman Shumpert for Tyus Jones & Brandon Rush (expiring)
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#83 » by FrontPageNews » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:19 pm

RightToCensor wrote:The Timberwolves inquired about Shumpert, so I came up with Iman Shumpert for Tyus Jones & Brandon Rush (expiring)

Where did you hear this?

I'm all for trading shump. But not for them..we drafted tyrus and just gave him away to Minnesota.

What about Rubio? I know it's not fair value but it opens up the position for Dunn to be the unquestioned starting pg and it gets Minnesota a much needed wing defender which Thibs loves.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#84 » by YourBuddy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:24 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:
RightToCensor wrote:The Timberwolves inquired about Shumpert, so I came up with Iman Shumpert for Tyus Jones & Brandon Rush (expiring)

Where did you hear this?

I'm all for trading shump. But not for them..we drafted tyrus and just gave him away to Minnesota.

What about Rubio? I know it's not fair value but it opens up the position for Dunn to be the unquestioned starting pg and it gets Minnesota a much needed wing defender which Thibs loves.

Its from a Zach Lowe here
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17777645/tiers-nba-zach-lowe

It mentions it being a salary dump, but the Cavs won't do it for nothing. So Rubio is out of the question, not that Shumpert has his value anyway.
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#85 » by RightToCensor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:

Where did you hear this?

I just got a notification from B/R's app.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2671036-iman-shumpert-trade-rumors-latest-news-speculation-on-cavaliers-sg

I don't think Cleveland has the expendable assets to acquire Rubio. Whoever the Cavs are targeting for the backup PG spot only has to play 10-13 MPG come postseason time and I think Tyus can give the Cavs respectable production with those minutes. Brandon Rush would takeover Shumpert's role as the bench wing defender, good thing is that he'd have to share minutes with Mike Dunleavy at that backup 3 spot so you don't overplay either guy.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer

Post#86 » by YourBuddy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Rush can't be traded. He was just signed in FA.
RightToCensor
Head Coach

Post#87 » by RightToCensor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:33 pm

This trade can be delayed until December 14th. I don't think either team is in a rush to trade their guys.
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#88 » by FrontPageNews » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:35 pm

RightToCensor wrote:This trade can be delayed until December 14th. I don't think either team is in a rush to trade their guys.

I don't think Cleveland wants to trade anyone before ring night.

But rush and tyrus for shump is a terrible deal for Cleveland. Tyrus is barely a backup pg for a bad team let alone a contender.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer

Post#89 » by YourBuddy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 pm

RightToCensor wrote:This trade can be delayed until December 14th. I don't think either team is in a rush to trade their guys.

I have a hard time believing these teams would be talking a about a deal as minor as this one if they have to wait that long to finalize it.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,065

Post#90 » by tidho » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:45 pm

Shump is a young stud defender. Why would you give that up for a backup PG you only really need for defensive purposes.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#91 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:01 pm

blazeyo wrote:The Delly curse will haunt the Cavs for ever!!1

You must be in love.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,801

Post#92 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:21 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:But rush and tyrus for shump is a terrible deal for Cleveland. Tyrus is barely a backup pg for a bad team let alone a contender.

Meh. I have Rush and Tyus as roughly neutral to slightly positive value. Shumpert as clearly negative value. So in terms of value its a clear win for Cleveland.

Now Cleveland is unique in that they don't care about "value", they only care about pieces that help them win and with all the offensive only players in the mix, a guy like Shump has more utility for them specificially.

But lets not act like the Cavs are getting ripped off.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#93 » by blazeyo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:24 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:
blazeyo wrote:The Delly curse will haunt the Cavs for ever!!1

You must be in love.

No, I just know that he was valuable.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#94 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:39 pm

What is the price of Shumpert?

Jazz might be interested in a trade based around Shelvin Mack for Shumpert to give the Cavs their legit backup point guard and cap relief. Jazz can add to this deal. Just want to know where this starting point would take the talks.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#95 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
FrontPageNews wrote:But rush and tyrus for shump is a terrible deal for Cleveland. Tyrus is barely a backup pg for a bad team let alone a contender.

Meh. I have Rush and Tyus as roughly neutral to slightly positive value. Shumpert as clearly negative value. So in terms of value its a clear win for Cleveland.

Now Cleveland is unique in that they don't care about "value", they only care about pieces that help them win and with all the offensive only players in the mix, a guy like Shump has more utility for them specificially.

It's difficult to assign value to recently drafted guards like Jones. People look at him as a third string guard but look who he he's stuck behind on the depth chart. He's more of a unproven commodity than a third string guard so I don't believe Minny should be in any rush to trade him unless they get good value for him. Unproven players have more value to the their team then on the market.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#96 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:42 pm

loserX wrote:Utah does seem like an obvious fit, and I'd be fine with a Mack/Osman deal.

The problem is that the Cavs don't have many other assets that match up. We don't want or need more 2nd rounders, especially from Cleveland which will be worth next to zero. I don't know much about this Jordan McRae from the OP but if he's got some potential, I'd consider it.

What about Neto?
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#97 » by loserX » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
loserX wrote:Utah does seem like an obvious fit, and I'd be fine with a Mack/Osman deal.

The problem is that the Cavs don't have many other assets that match up. We don't want or need more 2nd rounders, especially from Cleveland which will be worth next to zero. I don't know much about this Jordan McRae from the OP but if he's got some potential, I'd consider it.

What about Neto?

Also possible, though I suspect both teams might rather it was Mack. Mack is likely the better player but Neto is on a cheap contract for longer...given the relative needs for each team, Cleveland probably prefers to acquire Mack and Utah probably prefers to keep Neto.
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#98 » by FrontPageNews » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

It's difficult to assign value to recently drafted guards like Jones. People look at him as a third string guard but look who he he's stuck behind on the depth chart. He's more of a unproven commodity than a third string guard so I don't believe Minny should be in any rush to trade him unless they get good value for him. Unproven players have more value to the their team then on the market.

It's not hard to assign value when it comes to the cavs and tyrus jones. They drafted him last year and gave him away to the Timberwolves for a 2nd round pick. They valued an extra roster spot over him. There's no way the cavs would trade one of their only permitter defenders for a player they gave away.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#99 » by Zion Wembanyama » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:58 pm

Tyreke Evans to CLE
Jordan McRae to NO
Shumpert to 3rd team
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#100 » by Tfence92 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:01 pm

torotoe wrote:Yeah, jameer seems like a natural target. He is a shell of his former self at this point, but he's still got something in the tank.

Is there some incentive Denver can get from this? A TPE? Cash?

Nuggets are under the cap (significantly) so they can't get a TPE. Without sending any money back, I could see them getting like a top 55 protected pick? The issue with CLE is that they can take nearly any contract back with the Varejao TPE, but anyone that they get they're going to end up paying like triple for because of the luxury tax.

Return to Trades and Transactions