Wolves/LAL Trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Wolves/LAL Trade 

Post#1 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Lakers Trade 2nd pick (from 76ers)
Loul Deng

For
Brandon Rush
Nemanja Bjelica
Jordan Hill

Timberwolves do it to add veteran player to their young core . A familiar face for Toms bulls days. Also a high 2nd round draft pick.
Lakers do it because Loul has not fit into the lakers system .
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Re: Wolves/LAL Trade 

Post#2 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:15 pm

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/lakers-could-trade-luol-deng-timberwolves-after-dec-15-1534959

ill add this as well. There is genuine interest.
According to Bleacher Report’s Ric Bucher, Thibs is growing impatient with his young core and could trade for either Deng or Chicago Bulls forward Taj Gibson in the near future.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#3 » by YourBuddy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:18 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:http://www.ibtimes.com.au/lakers-could-trade-luol-deng-timberwolves-after-dec-15-1534959

According to Bleacher Report’s Ric Bucher, Thibs is growing impatient with his young core and could trade for either Deng or Chicago Bulls forward Taj Gibson in the near future.

None of this indicate genuine interest, this is pure speculation by Bucher.

Wolves take on a bunch of future salary here and should probably be compensated with how Deng has looked this year.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#4 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Lakers Trade 2nd pick (from 76ers)
Loul Deng

For
Brandon Rush
Nemanja Bjelica
Jordan Hill

Timberwolves do it to add veteran player to their young core . A familiar face for Toms bulls days. Also a high 2nd round draft pick.
Lakers do it because Loul has not fit into the lakers system .

Lakers don't have any 2nd pick from the Sixers.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#5 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:24 pm

YourBuddy wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:http://www.ibtimes.com.au/lakers-could-trade-luol-deng-timberwolves-after-dec-15-1534959

Wolves take on a bunch of future salary here and should probably be compensated with how Deng has looked this year.

He would do better in Toms system. I think that's fair to say.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by YourBuddy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
YourBuddy wrote:

Sure, but is he going to do enough better to be with his contract?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#7 » by shrink » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Since I have heard Luol Deng rumors here and elsewhere, I thought it would be worth mentioning how "Thibs the GM" acted four months ago.

The recent "Thibs will trade youth for vets" rumor was based on speculation from a GM said about Thibs personality, that he was impatient and would be more win-now. He wasn't aware of any actual rumored deals. This summer however, Thibs was VERY patient. He prioritized not over-spending, trying to maintain cap space for 2017 or 2018 free agency, before the rookies start coming off scale and chewing up the cap. He talked with a few vets (Deng, Noah, Courtney Lee and Pau) but he was unwilling to give any of those older players more than two guaranteed years. He instead chose to go with shorter deals to back ups.

Meanwhile, LAL gave Deng that four fully guaranteed years, and even if the Thibs is feeling squeezed for wins, I can't imagine he suddenly sees Deng as a good contract, worth giving up assets and losing cap space down the road. i would be very surprised to see a Luol Deng trade to MIN because of that.

Lastly, speaking of contracts, I wanted to add that I don't think MIN sees Bjelica as filler. He is on a fantastic contract, and has been playong with more confidence this season, after the traditional "Euro-League MVP takes a season to adjust to the NBA" time period. He needs to get better to get more minutes, but he has shown flashes (especially at SF), and at $4 mil, he's cost-effective even as a back up with upside.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#8 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:51 pm

I would do something along the lines of Deng/Calderon for Rubio/Pekovic (waive) .
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#9 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:46 pm

YourBuddy wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
YourBuddy wrote:

he could get to his Miami days 12-14ppg with Tom giving him minutes.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#10 » by wolves_89 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 pm

During the off-season there were rumors Thibs had interest in signing Deng, but was unwilling to commit even half as much guaranteed money as the Lakers were offering. So, I find it very hard to believe that Thibs is now willing to take on that contract after Deng has been terrible so far this year. This just makes no sense for Minnesota.

I really can't see any team taking on Deng's contract, the best hope for the Laker's is that there is an amnesty provision in the new CBA.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 pm

There's simply no way the Lakers are offloading Deng's contract for a second round pick.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by YourBuddy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:31 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
YourBuddy wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:He would do better in Toms system. I think that's fair to say.

he could get to his Miami days 12-14ppg with Tom giving him minutes.

and that is best case scenario for a player that has another 3 seasons left on his contract and looks to be getting worse.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#13 » by Vae Victus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Alot of Laker fans have this delusion that Deng is somehow not the worst contract in the NBA atm. They blithely think that they can find some idiot to take his contract off of our hands at low cost.

Smart fans who know cap management knows that Deng deal is an albatross that can hold us back from potential greatness (enticing 2 superstars to team up with our young core). It behooves the Lakers to figure out a way to dump Deng asap.

Basically there are 2 times to do it, before this season's trade deadline for expirings, or in the next FA period to a team with a massive amount of cap space to absorb Deng's deal outright.

The only realistic way i see the Lakers able to do it, is by attaching a significant young piece as sweetener. My prime candidate for such a deal is Julius Randle. He's having a great season in Luke's system and thus massively inflating his value. However, as a Laker fan i dont mind throwing him in, due to him only having 1 cheap year left, him being a bit too tweener to be a true impact player, having an excellence replacement on hand (Nance Jr) if we dont manage to sign a superstar (Blake Griffin). We're also likely to be forced to add a future lotto protected 1st, some 2nds, and some cash too, to make the deal slide. Obviously the better Deng plays the less horrendous his deal becomes and the less sweeteners are needed to dump him.

Now ideally i'd make such a deal next off-season, once i know for sure i can sign 2 superstars as a package deal (ala Heatles style). I'm not gonna pillage my future until i got the a-ok from 2 marquee FAs who will come aboard (Blake/CP3? Blake/Hayward? KD/Blake? KD/Milsap? Hayward/Milsap? etc etc etc). Regardless, if we can move Deng for an equally bad contract at a different position i'd prolly pull the trigger as well.

Deng + stuff for Crabbe?
Deng for Turner?

Things of that nature, at least balance out the roster a bit and give Ingram the starting SF spot. More chance of upside/rebound with younger pieces coming back. Also Deng is prolly a stretch 4 only at this point of his career, playing him at the 3 does nothing for him.

With Randle out with Injury i really think Luke should just start him at PF to try to fluff up his value and go from there.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#14 » by warren weel im » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:44 am

The Lakers signed Deng for a reason. We are not suddenly going to pay 3 guys to do nothing that's worth nothing just to supposedly get "rid" of Deng. Its dead money, its money no one took. Granting we could use the space in 17, 18 or 19, the benefit now is showing and despite his recent struggles, you don't dump a guy just because he hasn't fit in seamlessly 18-19 games into the season.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#15 » by Spens1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:46 am

i like it but our front court has people of that ability already, no one there really moves the needle sadly.
Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#16 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:03 pm

Vae Victus wrote:Alot of Laker fans have this delusion that Deng is somehow not the worst contract in the NBA atm. They blithely think that they can find some idiot to take his contract off of our hands at low cost.

Smart fans who know cap management knows that Deng deal is an albatross that can hold us back from potential greatness (enticing 2 superstars to team up with our young core). It behooves the Lakers to figure out a way to dump Deng asap.

Basically there are 2 times to do it, before this season's trade deadline for expirings, or in the next FA period to a team with a massive amount of cap space to absorb Deng's deal outright.

The only realistic way i see the Lakers able to do it, is by attaching a significant young piece as sweetener. My prime candidate for such a deal is Julius Randle. He's having a great season in Luke's system and thus massively inflating his value. However, as a Laker fan i dont mind throwing him in, due to him only having 1 cheap year left, him being a bit too tweener to be a true impact player, having an excellence replacement on hand (Nance Jr) if we dont manage to sign a superstar (Blake Griffin). We're also likely to be forced to add a future lotto protected 1st, some 2nds, and some cash too, to make the deal slide. Obviously the better Deng plays the less horrendous his deal becomes and the less sweeteners are needed to dump him.

Now ideally i'd make such a deal next off-season, once i know for sure i can sign 2 superstars as a package deal (ala Heatles style). I'm not gonna pillage my future until i got the a-ok from

Deng is not the worst contract in the NBA, Noah is the worst contract in the NBA, but everything else is correct in terms of the Lakers not being able to move Deng unless they pay a hefty price, or they're interested in Noah.

As for the Wolves, anyone that believes that the Wolves can convince 2 superstars to join their young core is either very liberal with the term superstar or delusional themselves.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#17 » by Vae Victus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Swoosh_Stripes wrote:Deng is not the worst contract in the NBA, Noah is the worst contract in the NBA, but everything else is correct in terms of the Lakers not being able to move Deng unless they pay a hefty price, or they're interested in Noah.

As for the Wolves, anyone that believes that the Wolves can convince 2 superstars to join their young core is either very liberal with the term superstar or delusional themselves.

Well Joakim Noah is a big so bigs carry a premium....

*looks up Noah's stats*

Egads WTF, why the hell did NYK give him 4 years 72 mil?!? He was crippled last year for the most part. Hell at least Deng turned in a respectable contract year to sucker some idiot GM to give his likely underreported age (he's from Sudan, odds are decent he fibbed on his age) ass a sweetheart deal.

Ok, i retract my statement that Deng is the worst contract in the NBA. 2nd worst right now and unfortunately i dont like his chances of upping his value. Thats the pessimist in me talking.

On the Wolves end, they definitely can attract another superstar to sign on their squad. They just need to package alot of young talent to get a starting superstar to attract the 2nd. A package headlined by Wiggins/Lavine + low value stuff or Dunn + Dieng/Rubio + high value stuff (unprotected 1st 2017) for someone like Cousins or George, and thus they can attract the likes of someone like Blake Griffin or Gordon Hayward to join their squad.

Or they can get close to or into the playoffs with their current squad ala Rockets 2012 attracting DHo. Which is what the Lakers are trying to do right now.

Thus for example

C - KAT
PF- Blake
SF- George
SG- Lavine
PG- Rubio, Dunn

or

C- Cousins
PF-KAT
SF- Wiggins
SG- Hayward
PG- Rubio