Hornets mortguage futture look to contend with Magic/Kings

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,491

Hornets mortguage futture look to contend with Magic/Kings 

Post#1 » by GoBobs » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Magic out/Hornets in: Ibaka
Magic in/Hornets out: Sessions, Hibbert (both expiring), 2017 Hornets first round pick unprotected, 2017 Hornets 2nd, 2018 2nd (less favorable form Cleveland or Brooklyn)

Why for the Magic: they look to tank the rest of the season and get something for Ibaka before he becomes a free agent at the end of the year. They get three picks and don't take on any bad contracts. The Hornets will probably make the playoffs this year but anything could happen with chemistry or an injury to Kemba Walker so the lack of protection on the 1st round pick they are getting is still somewhat enticing.

Why for the Hornets: they add defense, three point shooting, and quality depth for two guys who are not part of the core and might not be back next year anyhow. The can afford to give up the picks to try to make a jump form treadmill to contenders because they are not a rebuilding team.

Kings out/Hornets in: Rudy Gay
Kings in/Hornets out: Marvin Williams, 2019 first round pick unprotected, Rights to swap 1st round picks in 2018

Why for the Kings: they get a servicable player in Marvin Williams who can play multiple positions and is good in the locker room. He start this season in a bit of a shooting slump but showed signs of coming out of it before brusing his knee which is expected to keep him out for a week or so. They also get picks which can be used in future deals or for young players.

Why for the Hornets: with the addition of Ibaka above Marvin Williams is expendable but they could use extra scoring punch and help at the SF position.

New Hornets Roster:

Kemba/Belinelli
Batum/Lamb
Gay/MKG
Ibaka/Frank K
Zeller/Hawes
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,079

Re: Hornets mortguage futture look to contend with Magic/Kings 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Ibaka's not worth an unprotected pick. Maybe top 5 protected from a .500 team like the Hornets but they're a Kemba injury away from that trade being disaster pants.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,960

Post#3 » by DusterBuster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:23 pm

The way this thread title looks, it looks like you're trying to contend with the Magic and Kings. That's setting the bar pretty low lol.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#4 » by jpengland » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Williams is a better player than Gay.

This barely improves them. Certainly not a contender.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,522

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 pm

The Gay trade should be nixed. Add top 3 protection for 3 years then unprotected to the pick and then sure on the first deal.
Marino
Pro Prospect
And1: 166

Post#6 » by Marino » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Pass. This doesn't really improve the Hornets and not worth mortgaging the future.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#7 » by Mystical Apples » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:12 pm

With protection the Ibaka deal is actually quite good for CHA. In fact, I'd like it even better with Marvin Wiliams on the roster.

Rudy doesn't make sense but that's fine......without Sessions the bigger hole is backup pg
geometry
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,633

Post#8 » by yosemiteben » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Yeah I'd do that Ibaka trade for sure (protect that pick a bit though). The Rudy Gay trade doesn't move the needle for me.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#9 » by hcsilla » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Following trading Oladipo for Ibaka, I highly doubt that after 2 months they trade Ibaka for a mid 1st rounder.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by GoBobs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:53 am

Marvin was a little more efficient than Gay last year, but so far this year Gay has been way more efficient. Gay's is a more reliable volume scorer and Marvin's slump to start the year is reason enough for me to want to make the change.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by GoBobs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:55 am

hcsilla wrote:Following trading Oladipo for Ibaka, I highly doubt that after 2 months they trade Ibaka for a mid 1st rounder.

you might be right, they don't have a lot of good options with the situation, but still you might be right.
chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Post#12 » by chellis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:55 am

GoBobs wrote:Marvin was a little more efficient than Gay last year, but so far this year Gay has been way more efficient. Gay's is a more reliable volume scorer and Marvin's slump to start the year is reason enough for me to want to make the change.

From a pure basketball standpoint, sure. But you are underestimating his value in the locker room. I can't count the number of times I've read a player on the team loves Marvin and were nervous when he hit FA.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#13 » by nicnac215 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:49 pm

hcsilla wrote:Following trading Oladipo for Ibaka, I highly doubt that after 2 months they trade Ibaka for a mid 1st rounder.

A mid first in a super deep draft is more valuable than oladipo making 20mil a year or Ibaka making 25mil a year
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,449

Post#14 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:07 pm

Easy pass from Orlando. Ibaka is worth more to Orlando than any other team and will have to be a clear overpay.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,216

Post#15 » by amcoolio » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:24 pm

I would do the Gay trade just to get out of Marvin's contract without the pick swap in 2018. I know he's been injured but he's looked not so good this season and is only getting older. But ultimately I can't see the Hornets parting with the core 7 (Kemba/Batum/MKG/Marvin/Zeller/Kaminsky/Lamb).
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#16 » by FNQ » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Dont think Magic are down to trade Ibaka for expirings and a mid 1st (I think its a safe guess to say Hornets are in the 11-20 range).

I think the 2nd trade is insanely risky for a) an expiring contract essentially and b) a player who is great at putting up numbers but not necessarily an impact player.

I like the target of Ibaka, but its hard to see ORL dealing him right now for anything less than a homerun offer. I don't like the Gay target though. I honestly think Biyombo would be a better and more realistic target for the Hornets, as I tend to like their current offense but am skeptical of their interior defense holding up over the season

Return to Trades and Transactions