Dallas | Minnesota | Phoenix

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,381

Dallas | Minnesota | Phoenix 

Post#1 » by drosestruts » Thu Dec 8, 2016 1:56 am

Dallas in: Ricky Rubio and Tyson Chandler
Dallas out: Andrew Bogut and Wesley Matthews

Dallas gets Rubio to run the offense and reunites Chandler with Nowitzki. Rubio's elite passing will fit nicely with Dallas' floor spacing and Chandler's roll game. Both players are locked in for a couple more years, but at the price contracts are being handed out at, but will soon look like value deals.

Minnesota in: Brandon Knight and Wesley Matthews
Minnesota out: Ricky Rubio and Nikola Pekovic

Another example of a team taking on some longer contracts, Minnesota has never been a big free agent destination, Knight and Matthews provide additional shooting out of the backcourt.

Phoenix in: Andrew Bogut and Nikola Pekovic
Phoenix out: Brandon Knight and Tyson Chandler

On the opposite side we have Phoenix doing this trade primarly to open cap space. Bogut will be gone next year and Pekovic will most likely be medically retired, clearing him from Phoenix's cap.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Re: Dallas | Minnesota | Phoenix 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Thu Dec 8, 2016 1:58 am

Minnesota is planning on getting rid of Pekovic in January with the Injury thing and they can get better players than Knight/Matthews in Free Agency.

Shooting isn't Minnesotas issue, its defense.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#3 » by NashtyNas » Thu Dec 8, 2016 2:41 am

Colbinii wrote:Minnesota is planning on getting rid of Pekovic in January with the Injury thing and they can get better players than Knight/Matthews in Free Agency.

Shooting isn't Minnesotas issue, its defense.

Yeah this is bad for the Wolves, but also for the Suns.
Why are we trading Chandler + Knight for.... Bogut & Pekovic? Chandler is actually performing very well, and Knight is much better than Pekovic at this point regardless of how you feel about him.

So this is a no go for everyone but Dallas, who somehow gets Rubio while dumping Matthews?

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:20 am

I_Socrates wrote:Why are we trading Chandler + Knight for.... Bogut & Pekovic? Chandler is actually performing very well, and Knight is much better than Pekovic at this point regardless of how you feel about him.

:o

I like some of the ideas in the OP. Phoenix moves Chandler when his value is its highest (right now, playing well as you said, a contender may give value if it is an upgrade). I just don't think the value is right.

For the record, I believe any Rubio trade should bring back a defensive minded player who has experience but also can be around for next year at the least.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#5 » by jackwindham » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:23 am

I think the Mavericks actually like Matthews.
NashtyNas
RealGM

Post#6 » by NashtyNas » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:12 am

Colbinii wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:Why are we trading Chandler + Knight for.... Bogut & Pekovic? Chandler is actually performing very well, and Knight is much better than Pekovic at this point regardless of how you feel about him.

:o

I like some of the ideas in the OP. Phoenix moves Chandler when his value is its highest (right now, playing well as you said, a contender may give value if it is an upgrade). I just don't think the value is right.

For the record, I believe any Rubio trade should bring back a defensive minded player who has experience but also can be around for next year at the least.

And I'm fine with moving Chandler, but for what? Bogut wouldn't be part of our long term plans and Pekovic doesn't play, so it's a big $ contract that may or may not get covered by insurance.

I'm fine with upgrading from Chandler to JV by adding some value, but I'm not okay with just making a trade to make a trade. Our FO isn't interested in dumping Chandler or Knight (even if some Suns fans might be) so those type of deals are just not going to work for us IMO.

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#7 » by 2011Champs » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:31 am

I feel Mavs will wait for the draft to address the PG position and the ship has sailed with Tyson in Dallas. Tyson should have been a priority in 2011, he wasn't. Tyson should have been a priority instead of Deandre, he wasn't. Despite how great he was in both stints in Dallas, Dallas turned their back on Tyson.
For those reasons and the fact that Mavs view Wes Matthews as a major part of the near future, this trade just won't happen.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#8 » by jackwindham » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:09 am

It was a business decision for the Mavericks to let Chandler walk away.
NashtyNas
RealGM

Post#9 » by NashtyNas » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:46 am

jackwindham wrote:It was a business decision for the Mavericks to let Chandler walk away.

A horrible one, at that. Things could have been different if the Mavs weren't trying to rebuild every year, especially right after you've won a championship. Cuban has made some excellent moves, and some very short-sighted moves that he thought were better for the long-term future of the franchise. Letting Nash and Chandler go because he felt he knew better are at the top of the list for the latter.

Can't win 'em all. The Suns will send him a nice bottle of wine at some point to thank him for the gifts. :P

2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#10 » by 2011Champs » Thu Dec 8, 2016 1:16 pm

jackwindham wrote:It was a business decision for the Mavericks to let Chandler walk away.
It was a horrible business decision as Tyson was the best center Mavs ever had as far as fit goes. He was the perfect compliment to Dirk. Cuban got cheap and greedy and had a bad case of grass is greener on the other side of the fence syndrome.

What if Cuban made a similar decision and let Dirk walk just so he could try to sign Durant or James? Then the same horrible business decision rationale would be magnified 100 fold.

Return to Trades and Transactions