If Boston gets the 1st pick, do they trade back?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,407

Re: If Boston gets the 1st pick, do they trade back? 

Post#41 » by reload141 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:20 am

simmbiid wrote:
reload141 wrote:
dorkestra wrote:Jaylen Brown, Markelle Fultz, Jae Crowder, 2017 Boston Pick, 2018 Brooklyn Pick, 2019 Memphis Pick and fillers for AD. Only if they get Fultz though.

I think you keep Crowder, he isn't a "deal" breaker in this scenario

Jaylen Brown, Markelle Fultz, 2018 Brooklyn pick, Memphis 2019 pick + whatever other 1-2 picks and fillers.

For AD? That might get you Cousins or Butler though.

AD would be both Nets picks, with one being 1st pick, plus Avery Bradley (still young), plus Brown, plus one or two other assets whose names are not Thomas or AH. And then they might say no.

I wouldn't give up that sort of a package for Cousins or Butler... that is every asset we have (could add more picks) without touching the core I agree New Orleans wouldn't even entertain the idea but if all of a sudden they did it would be interesting to see what other teams offer...
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#42 » by freshie2 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 11:39 am

Answering the OP, no they do not trade back...they need a star more than any other team. Looking only at the current roster, Bradley is probably the biggest 'star' type player for the future, so they definitely need to get some young star power unless they're serious about making a move to be a contender now. Nice team, but nothing to really worry about in terms of a championship contender at this point...keep the pick and get a star.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,661

Post#43 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:31 pm

Fultz is the best PG prospect since John Wall and I don't see another blue-chip prospect in the rest of this draft (think Smith and Ball are overrated). No chance they trade back. There's a slight chance they trade the pick, but probably only for Butler or Cousins. Pelicans aren't trading AD for anything.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#44 » by BleedGreen1989 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:36 pm

Ron Swanson wrote: Pelicans aren't trading AD for anything.

...please?
KP6
Rookie
And1: 619

Post#45 » by KP6 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:46 pm

Keep the pick and draft the next super star
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#46 » by damecurry » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:56 pm

DirtyDez wrote:Make The Godfather offer for AD.

This is correct, or something else similar. The 1st pick has a ton of value, if they get it Boston should finally have the ammo and conviction to go get their Jimmy Butler or AD or whomever. Using it on Fultz, Ball or Smith would be a major waste I agree, but trading down with it would be even worse. The Celtics have a plethora of assets and no elite ones as it is, why give up the one elite asset you get for lesser ones? That's madness. If they somehow can't get a star with it, which would honestly surprise me, then you take Fultz and trade off IT or smart or whomever, maybe take a step back but let your one "blue chip" prospect have the reigns. The last thing you wanna do is give up your chance for a star.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#47 » by King of Canada » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:00 pm

KP6 wrote:Keep the pick and draft the next super star

Or better yet keep the pick and draft a bust!!!!

Really, my hope is that Boston moves the pick for somebody that will get them to the ECF, only to get swept by the Cavs. :pray:
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#48 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:55 pm

The draft too deep to trade backwards. . If you can get Fultz that's the first obvious pick. If you can't there's 2 options draft ball , or trade your pick on draft for all star like player . This is the draft to you can get away with it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,661

Post#49 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:06 pm

The difference in trade value between Butler and AD is a chasm, not a bridge. I think Boston could offer the 1st overall pick (if they get it), 2018 BKN pick, 2019 Memphis pick, 2019 Clippers pick, Avery Bradley, Jaylen Brown, and Marcus Smart....and the Pelicans still probably say no. It's fun to come up with fantasy trades, but the guy is one of the most untouchable assets in sports.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#50 » by stitches » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:23 pm

I think the chance that they keep the pick is higher than the chance they trade it and it might not even be by choice. Just stars in the league don't become available all that often and even then their team might want too high of a price or Ainge might be too cheap to make it happen.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#51 » by Drax » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:48 pm

stitches wrote:I think the chance that they keep the pick is higher than the chance they trade it and it might not even be by choice. Just stars in the league don't become available all that often and even then their team might want too high of a price or Ainge might be too cheap to make it happen.

Good, because most 'stars' will not lift the Celtics on the level of CLE or GSW, keep the pick grow internally and be patient.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
stitches
RealGM

Post#52 » by stitches » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:50 pm

Drax wrote:
stitches wrote:I think the chance that they keep the pick is higher than the chance they trade it and it might not even be by choice. Just stars in the league don't become available all that often and even then their team might want too high of a price or Ainge might be too cheap to make it happen.

Good, because most 'stars' will not lift the Celtics on the level of CLE or GSW, keep the pick grow internally and be patient.

As a Jazz fan I hope so too. Trading for a star might increase the chance Hayward chooses Boston.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#53 » by Fresh360Waves » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 am

Gotta go BPA always. I don't see IT as a long term guy for Boston anyways.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,719

Post#54 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 am

Smitty731 wrote:Boston will either take the top player or will trade out entirely for a star. Teams don't generally trade back in the NBA.

*Unless an aging malcontent Stephen Jackson is available. Fat Dalembert is also worth a couple of spots down.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#55 » by patman52 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:49 am

stitches wrote:
Drax wrote:

As a Jazz fan I hope so too. Trading for a star might increase the chance Hayward chooses Boston.

See, I don't think so. I think if you take Hayward away from the Jazz the Celtics are a better team than the jazz and have better future assets. And the path to the finals is through 2 teams and not 3 other teams as in the west. Granted Bradley or IT would probably be moved and his game would need to be subtracted long term from the celts.

Hayward likes it in Utah and Utah can pay him more money but I think the celts are the better long term road to take to the finals.
stitches
RealGM

Post#56 » by stitches » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 pm

patman52 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Drax wrote:

See, I don't think so. I think if you take Hayward away from the Jazz the Celtics are a better team than the jazz and have better future assets. And the path to the finals is through 2 teams and not 3 other teams as in the west. Granted Bradley or IT would probably be moved and his game would need to be subtracted long term from the celts.

Hayward likes it in Utah and Utah can pay him more money but I think the celts are the better long term road to take to the finals.

Yeah, I've been through this on our board. Agree to disagree about this one. I can argue as a fit/quality you can choose every single Jazz starter ahead of its Celtics counterpart to put on a roster with Hayward and the Celtics are going to lose somebody pretty soon if they are going to be paying Hayward max.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#57 » by hcsilla » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 pm

JoJoEmbiid wrote:Well what do you think they'll do then?

Simply take Fultz.
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#58 » by OFWGKTA » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 pm

stitches wrote:
patman52 wrote:
stitches wrote:As a Jazz fan I hope so too. Trading for a star might increase the chance Hayward chooses Boston.

Yeah, I've been through this on our board. Agree to disagree about this one. I can argue as a fit/quality you can choose every single Jazz starter ahead of its Celtics counterpart to put on a roster with Hayward and the Celtics are going to lose somebody pretty soon if they are going to be paying Hayward max.

The Jazz and Celtics are on the same level right now, how can you not agree that the Celtics with Hayward would be better than the Jazz without Hayward?
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
stitches
RealGM

Post#59 » by stitches » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:58 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
stitches wrote:
patman52 wrote:

The Jazz and Celtics are on the same level right now, how can you not agree that the Celtics with Hayward would be better than the Jazz without Hayward?

That's not the question. The question is Jazz with Hayward vs Boston with Hayward. I also don't agree that the Celtics and Jazz are on the same level right now.
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#60 » by OFWGKTA » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm

stitches wrote:
OFWGKTA wrote:
stitches wrote:Yeah, I've been through this on our board. Agree to disagree about this one. I can argue as a fit/quality you can choose every single Jazz starter ahead of its Celtics counterpart to put on a roster with Hayward and the Celtics are going to lose somebody pretty soon if they are going to be paying Hayward max.

That's not the question. The question is Jazz with Hayward vs Boston with Hayward. I also don't agree that the Celtics and Jazz are on the same level right now.

Ok so the Celtics have a better record now, if they both magically had Gordon Hayward at this moment, you don't think the Celtics would have an even better record than the Jazz? Other than rebounding, the Celtics biggest need is a wing that can consistently create their own shot, Hayward does that. Yes the Jazz play in the West, but their record against the West this season is better than their record against the East. The Jazz are 7th in SRS, Celtics 8th. The Celtics won comfortably when they played a few weeks ago, and Hayward didn't play for them.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.

Return to Trades and Transactions