2017 Off-Season: Carmelo Anthony To The Clippers Trade Guarantees Keeping The Core Together

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Re: 2017 Off-Season: Carmelo Anthony To The Clippers Trade Guarantees Keeping The Core Together 

Post#41 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:54 am

Yea that's probably the team one way or the other. Knicks just have to get rid of him.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,026

Re: 2017 Off-Season: Carmelo Anthony To The Clippers Trade Guarantees Keeping The Core Together 

Post#42 » by og15 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:15 am

Kupchak9 wrote:It really should be:

LAC in: Carmelo
NYK in: filler salary: LAC 2020 pick swaps, 2021 uprotected, 2022 pick swap, 2023 unprotected, 2024 pick swap, 2025 unprotected

What kind of team trades three unprotected picks, including one 6 years and 8 years in the future? In 8 years Blake Griffin is 35 years old, DeAndre Jordan is 36 years old, Paul is probably retired (he'd be 39), and Melo is retired (he'd be 40). Why would the Clippers be trading a draft pick that far down for a 32 year old?

You know what 31 year old Ray Allen (+2nd Round Pick = Glen Davis) coming off a 26/5/4 season brought back? Jeff Green (5th pick), Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West and a 2nd round pick. You know what 31 year old Garnett coming off a 22/13/4 season brought back? Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair and the 6th and 28th pick two years later. If you think 32 year old Carmelo performing much worse is going to bring back 3 unprotected draft picks, especially two 6 and 8 years into the future, you're really not understanding how NBA trades work.
SparringPartner
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#43 » by SparringPartner » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:40 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:So we trade our best player for a dumpster fire and a pick so far into the future we cannot possible project how good or bad it will be. Where do I sign? :crazy:

I get the dumpster fire piece, but Melo isn't your best player. It's not even close. Also, it's not an open market. Supposedly two teams are potentially on his list. If NY wants to trade him, I'm not saying they do, but those are the type of offers they will get. Maybe CLE would be willing to send T.Thompson?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#44 » by nickhx2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 am

QRich3 wrote:I don't think the Clippers are all that worried about the core going away.

But if all that takes to get Melo is that pick + Brice, and the Knicks are willing to eat Jamal's contract, I'd probably do it. Sending an unprotected pick 4 years from now, when your core is gonna be way past their prime is an awful risk to take, but I think in this case it has some merit.

If it's Redick plus the pick, no way I do it.

And anyway, I still think Melo refuses to go anywhere. He's too comfy in NYC and I don't think he cares all that much about a championship at this stage in his life. And this is in no way a likely path to a chip still.

all day every day if that's the trade. doubt he goes anywhere though.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#45 » by Knickfan1982 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:17 pm

sportscrazy wrote:
Would you be more willing to do something like this...
The Knicks trade: Kyle O'Quinn, Carmelo Anthony and Courtney Lee

New York Knicks get:
Jamal Crawford
Wesley Johnson
Rajon Rondo (waived after trade)
Paul Pierce (waived after trade)
2017 Top 3 Protected Chicago Bulls First Round Draft Pick
2017 Conditional Sacramento Kings First Round Draft Pick (via Bulls)
2021 Unprotected Los Angeles Clippers First Round Draft Pick

I edited the deal to focus solely on the Knicks portion of the deal. But to answer your question...No. There is a lot of waste. You have us bring in Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce and waive them immediately. Thing is that they'd still cost us like 16 million against the cap next year and that would be dead space. Jamal Crawford is more expensive than Courtney Lee but not nearly as good a defender. Welsey Johnson is who he is and who he is is not someone I'd want signed to a long term deal. Kyle O'Quinn however is. The picks are mostly meh. That pick far off into the future from the Clippers means nothing to me. The Sac-town pick won't come our way if its a top 10 pick and its currently projected to be #11. Basically it won't take much of a fall to push the pick into next season. The Bulls picks is a mid-first rounder. Not bad to start with but it would be the only pick we're guaranteed to get this year. And cap space we'll get won't really show up until 2 years from now. Yaaawn.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#46 » by Knickfan1982 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:21 pm

SparringPartner wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:So we trade our best player for a dumpster fire and a pick so far into the future we cannot possible project how good or bad it will be. Where do I sign? :crazy:

I get the dumpster fire piece, but Melo isn't your best player. It's not even close. Also, it's not an open market. Supposedly two teams are potentially on his list. If NY wants to trade him, I'm not saying they do, but those are the type of offers they will get. Maybe CLE would be willing to send T.Thompson?

Yes. Melo is our best player and its not close. KP has all the potential in the world but he's not there yet. Secondly, who cares if it isn't an open market. No point in dealing him for scraps. Depending on the rest of the deal I think we could do much than a Tristan Thompson headed packaged. The Clippers deal is certainly much worse.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.

Return to Trades and Transactions