T&T board's top 10 least valuable contracts - final list

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Re: T&T board's top 10 least valuable contracts - final list 

Post#2 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 am

Good list those are some pretty bad contracts.

We should start a Dishonorable mention list I'm starting with Soloman Hill!
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 am

Yes, the nominees that didn't make it: Solomon Hill, Omer Asik, Chris Bosh, Bismack Biyombo, Austin Rivers, Jamal Crawford, Enes Kanter, Monta Ellis, Mike Conley
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#4 » by giberish » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:18 am

Every single one signed last summer (and probably the next 5 as well).

It will be interesting to see how many get displaced by further mistakes next summer.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:20 am

Man I have a problem with Crabbe being ahead of Bazemore. Almost the same contract but a much better player.

Also much rather have Turner than Plumlee or mozgov without a doubt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using RealGM mobile app
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,832

Post#6 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:07 am

Ian Mahinmi not being considered the worst contract in the league still baffles me, much less him being eighth.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#7 » by Kupchak9 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 am

Parsons is way too low on this list. Get the feeling he fell under the radar due to becoming so irrelevant. The guy has a $23mil annual salary. His production is relatively the same as Miles Plumlee's but at double the cost! Cmon now.

Personally my list would be:

1. Parsons - most overpaid, $ per production is garbage.
2. Mahinmi - doesnt even play.
3. Noah - cant make layups.
4. Deng - Past prime, could still contribute but cant win you games as a starter, should be getting half his deal.
5. Mosgov - Past prime, could still contribute but cant win you games as a starter, should be getting half his deal.
6. Turner - like a somewhat better version of Parsons, still garbage. Still kind of young, could turn it around.
7. Plumlee - somewhat cheap, expectations are a bit high for him.
8. Bazemore - can at least give you above average defense and the occasional all around game.
9. Crabbe - solid player, would be the 6th man on most teams.
10. Leonard - relatively cheap compared to everyone on this list. Cost is meh for a 4th big.

But still appreciate everyone taking the time to vote!
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#8 » by Mich3006 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Yes, the nominees that didn't make it: Solomon Hill, Omer Asik, Chris Bosh, Bismack Biyombo, Austin Rivers, Jamal Crawford, Enes Kanter, Monta Ellis, Mike Conley

Brandon Knight is missing...
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,954

Post#9 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Hope it's OK that I pinned this thread atop the forum. After all the discussion and voting, it got buried pretty quickly. I wanted to refer to it today and had to search several pages deep to find it.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Sauce_Castillo
Junior
And1: 41

Post#10 » by Sauce_Castillo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Mahimni will prove to be a good contract imo.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#11 » by SalemStoner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:23 am

This list shows how brutally bad the portland signings were last summer. It also shows that sometimes losing talent for nothing is better than overpaying that talent.

Pretty much had to trade Mason Plumlee because of those 3 craptacular contacts.
Mythrol
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#12 » by Mythrol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 am

How is Asik not somewhere in there?!?!
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#13 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Mozgov and Parsons are such a strong 5 and 6
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#14 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 am

Bump.

While definitely overpaid, Mahinmi's starting to look pretty darn good out there. His best games are absolutely tremendous and he's a rock solid rim protector night in, night out.

Not to say he's on a particularly good contract, but the vast majority of posters on the Wizards board would like to see him starting over Gortat. He's not really the same as the other guys on the list, IMO.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,684

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:35 am

Mojo Amok wrote:but the vast majority of posters on the Wizards board would like to see him starting over Gortat.

I'm surprised by this. Not as a knock on Ian, but rather how much respect I have for Gortat. But if the Wizards FO agrees and trusts Mahinmi to be the guy at center then Gortat should be a nice little trade chip to address another need this summer.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Mojo Amok wrote:but the vast majority of posters on the Wizards board would like to see him starting over Gortat.

I'm surprised by this. Not as a knock on Ian, but rather how much respect I have for Gortat. But if the Wizards FO agrees and trusts Mahinmi to be the guy at center then Gortat should be a nice little trade chip to address another need this summer.

Yeah, it turns out that playing Gortat at what had been the highest MPG mark of his career (pre-All Star break) in the season when he turns 33 might not have been absolutely ideal. :thinking:

He started the season well, but is very shaky at the moment, especially as a help defender, which is where Ian shines. The whole starting frontline has basically collapsed since the All Star Break, though that's another story entirely and probably with different issues for everyone.

Gortat can probably still find his form from earlier in the year again, but woe to the team that wants him to be a plough puller for 30+ minutes a night come 2018.

The Wizards are probably not looking to have an overly dynamic offseason with acquisitions, but it is possible that something with Gortat could happen - but it's obviously hard to know what the front office is thinking.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,684

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:
Spoiler:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Yeah, it turns out that playing Gortat at what had been the highest MPG mark of his career (pre-All Star break) in the season when he turns 33 might not have been absolutely ideal. :thinking:

He started the season well, but is very shaky at the moment, especially as a help defender, which is where Ian shines. The whole starting frontline has basically collapsed since the All Star Break, though that's another story entirely and probably with different issues for everyone.

Gortat can probably still find his form from earlier in the year again, but woe to the team that wants him to be a plough puller for 30+ minutes a night come 2018.

The Wizards are probably not looking to have an overly dynamic offseason with acquisitions, but it is possible that something with Gortat could happen - but it's obviously hard to know what the front office is thinking.

Yeah I appreciate the idea of trying to reduce his load--obviously that's why Mahinmi got the big FA deal to begin with. And I hadn't been following the Wizards close enough to realize his recent form was off. I just really think Marcin Gortat has long been an underrated center. He's not flashy at either end, but he's more than solid at each end and he's been extremely durable.

Appreciate the additional details on the matter.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Yeah I appreciate the idea of trying to reduce his load--obviously that's why Mahinmi got the big FA deal to begin with. And I hadn't been following the Wizards close enough to realize his recent form was off. I just really think Marcin Gortat has long been an underrated center. He's not flashy at either end, but he's more than solid at each end and he's been extremely durable.

Appreciate the additional details on the matter.

It's worth noting for context that when "start Mahinmi" get's whispered, you'd still be looking at a big role for Gortat as Ian 'Mighty Yawn' Mahinmi maxes out as maybe a 24 minute per game player. He's averaging 5.5 fouls per 36 minutes and can really rack them up in bunches sometimes with he's got his hands everywhere.

Gortat has lots of virtues and under appreciated skills (like, setting screens), but he really pales in comparison to Ian as a rim protector and doesn't seem to have gotten the memo that we have three 7-Footers and don't rally care if he gets in foul trouble but do care a l9t about giving up uncontested layups to slashers. :blank:

But, in a bench role Marcin'd still be looking at an absolute minimum of 20 MPG and would be a big pick and roll weapon with Jennings on that second unit (ie. higher in the scoring hierarchy than he is with the starters).

Return to Trades and Transactions