Utah/Minnesota

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Utah/Minnesota 

Post#1 » by eminence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Big Utah and Rubio fan here, so would love to get him onto the team what with the rumors (again) of Minnesota wanting to move him.

Utah trades: Shelvin Mack, Utah '17 1st, and one of Burks/Johnson/Diaw
Utah receives: Ricky Rubio

Minnesota trades: Ricky Rubio
Minnesota receives: Shelvin Mack, Utah '17 1st, and one of Burks/Johnson/Diaw

Why for Utah: Utah's roster right now might be almost too deep, and a consolidating trade like this could go a long way. Rubio is a dang good player who could form a very solid guard rotation with Hill/Hood. Having Rubio as free agency insurance for Hill would also be very nice.

Why for Minnesota: They seem to be looking for a stop-gap guard with a small asset attached, and I think Mack/the pick fill that role pretty well. The last piece for salary matching would really depend on what they were looking for. Burks can be a very solid player if he can find his way back into form, but that's a risk for them. Johnson provides a still useful player who could give some much needed vet leadership. Diaw is similar but I believe he can be waived this off season if they were looking for some cap relief.

Don't do many posts on the T&T board, what do y'all think? Bit worried it's too good for Utah, but that could just be because I like Rubio so much :)
I bought a boat.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Re: Utah/Minnesota 

Post#2 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Why not throw Exum in there, it's not like he'll ever see teh floor with Hill and Rubio on the team.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
eminence
RealGM

Post#3 » by eminence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:22 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Why not throw Exum in there, it's not like he'll ever see teh floor with Hill and Rubio on the team.

I could certainly see moving him in a separate deal, but don't really see a way to make it work with Minnesota. Lot of thrown in value from Utah that I don't really see any way to balance.
I bought a boat.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Assuming the Jazz are going to re-sign Hill and provide more minutes to Exum long term, I dont see how Rubio fits with Jazz.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm

I guess i wouln't mind for the Wolves to give a chance to Exum.
Trading Rubio is a sign of tank, and with an heavy PGs draft coming up, yeah, why not ?
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#6 » by tcheco » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Both Johnson and diaw and Wolves send hill or Aldrich. I think the Wolves bite that. Good insurance if hill gets greedy in the offseason

Sent from my ONE A2005 using RealGM mobile app
eminence
RealGM

Post#7 » by eminence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:25 pm

tcheco wrote:Both Johnson and diaw and Wolves send hill or Aldrich. I think the Wolves bite that. Good insurance if hill gets greedy in the offseason

I could see it. Leaves the 3/4 a bit shallow for Utah, but I think it's manageable with Ingles/Lyles. Would probably prefer Hill to save some money this offseason.
I bought a boat.
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#8 » by tcheco » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 pm

eminence wrote:
tcheco wrote:Both Johnson and diaw and Wolves send hill or Aldrich. I think the Wolves bite that. Good insurance if hill gets greedy in the offseason

I could see it. Leaves the 3/4 a bit shallow for Utah, but I think it's manageable with Ingles/Lyles. Would probably prefer Hill to save some money this offseason.

Always liked Ingles, has his defense improved?

Anyway, if Thibs feels that bringing some veterans is a priority, this sounds like a perfect deal. Diaw would allow more C minutes for towns, and Joe can fill the SF spot which it currently lacks
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#9 » by Golabki » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:44 pm

I agree with those saying Rubio doesn't totally fit with Utah... but I'm not sure I believe this is enough to get Minny to trade Rubio. Maybe if they are desperate to move him... but think they'd want more than a pick in the 20s
eminence
RealGM

Post#10 » by eminence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:51 pm

tcheco wrote:
eminence wrote:

Always liked Ingles, has his defense improved?

Anyway, if Thibs feels that bringing some veterans is a priority, this sounds like a perfect deal. Diaw would allow more C minutes for towns, and Joe can fill the SF spot which it currently lacks

I'd say it has, though I swear half of it is him luring opponents into doing stupid things by being slow.
I bought a boat.
eminence
RealGM

Post#11 » by eminence » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Golabki wrote:I agree with those saying Rubio doesn't totally fit with Utah... but I'm not sure I believe this is enough to get Minny to trade Rubio. Maybe if they are desperate to move him... but think they'd want more than a pick in the 20s

Do you think the Jazz could make up that difference with 2nd round picks or switching to the '18 OKC pick?
I bought a boat.
MNRunLeft
Starter
And1: 362

Post#12 » by MNRunLeft » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Golabki wrote:I agree with those saying Rubio doesn't totally fit with Utah... but I'm not sure I believe this is enough to get Minny to trade Rubio. Maybe if they are desperate to move him... but think they'd want more than a pick in the 20s

I tend to agree, if there was some way the Wolves could land Lyles in a deal I think that would be a great fit for them but don't think Rubio nets that or Utah considers moving him with Favors injuries and pending FA.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#13 » by stitches » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:00 pm

I've hated the Rubio fit for this team for ages and I still hate it.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#14 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 pm

No thanks. Not sending a first round draft pick for Rubio. Jazz GM is well above average at finding talent later in draft.
Fido
Veteran
And1: 35

Post#15 » by Fido » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Players moving around, but nothing really addressing a real need for the Jazz. I'm voting no.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#16 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Maybe, and it is a big maybe, Utah would trade Favs and Diaw for Dieng and Rubio. It at least gives Utah a const controlled PF going forward and a good back up PG in Rubio.

Minnesota would benefit from putting Favs at the C spot and allowing Towns to grow as a PF.

I still think Minnesota would need to add something to get Utah to bite as Favs and Gobert have proven they can work together(despite the 1000's of posts claiming they don't) and provide terrific defense.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#17 » by shrink » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:55 pm

I think Rubio's game would fit well with the Jazz, but I worry about his salary. Rubio makes $14.5 mil the next two years. While I think that's a reasonable contract in today's NBA, I think George Hill is playing great. I don't think you add Rubio if you expect to give George Hill a big contract this summer, especially with virtually every good player on the Jazz expecting to get paid, this summer or next. Somebody is going to have to go, and a Rubio signing would mean Hill. I doubt the Jazz are willing to make that decision right now.

I would also echo what Daddy just said. While Rubio and Dieng aren't amazing players, they are cost-controlled, and that may be important to the Jazz. They can't pay everyone mid-$20's contracts, but if they had Rubio and DIeng at half the price, it might save money for Hood and Lyles in 2018.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#18 » by stitches » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Maybe, and it is a big maybe, Utah would trade Favs and Diaw for Dieng and Rubio. It at least gives Utah a const controlled PF going forward and a good back up PG in Rubio.

Minnesota would benefit from putting Favs at the C spot and allowing Towns to grow as a PF.

I still think Minnesota would need to add something to get Utah to bite as Favs and Gobert have proven they can work together(despite the 1000's of posts claiming they don't) and provide terrific defense.

You don't trade Favors for that package... you just don't. That's just horrible. That's worse than the pick+Dieng idea we were discussing a few weeks ago. Yikes. I just hate it.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#19 » by loserX » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Rubio is talented but Utah already has 4 PGs on the roster. I don't understand the urge to throw multiple assets into acquiring another one (yes I know Mack is going out).

And I agree with shrink's comment about Rubio's salary. In order to re-sign everyone we may have to dump guys like Burks outright. Trading him for a backup PG making about $14M doesn't help.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#20 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:30 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Maybe, and it is a big maybe, Utah would trade Favs and Diaw for Dieng and Rubio. It at least gives Utah a const controlled PF going forward and a good back up PG in Rubio.

You don't trade Favors for that package... you just don't. That's just horrible. That's worse than the pick+Dieng idea we were discussing a few weeks ago. Yikes. I just hate it.

It's not a trade I recommend. It is a trade I could MAYBE see Utah doing. Having some cost controlled assets for the next few years makes sense. Favs is a wild card with his salary coming up.

And I said Minnesota would have to include more. Probably unprotected picks. Or maybe a younger player the Jazz like.

Return to Trades and Transactions