Should Boston trade BKN 1st Round Draft pick for Paul George or Jimmy Butler?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Re: Should Boston trade BKN 1st Round Draft pick for Paul George or Jimmy Butler? 

Post#61 » by Dominator83 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:If boston wants PG its gonna cost them both Brooklyn picks, Crowder, Johnson, and Rozier. I would also like to have Boston take Monta Ellis. But Boston would have to add some salary to get it to work.

Sent from my SM-G360T using RealGM mobile app

And they call us Bulls fans greedy?
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
RR9
Starter
And1: 157

Re: Should Boston trade BKN 1st Round Draft pick for Paul George or Jimmy Butler? 

Post#62 » by RR9 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 am

Yes, absolutely. However, it'd be all youth, i.e., not Crowder due to his intangibles as a glue guy on the court -- I see him as a deng/iguodala type.

17 BKN 1st
Jaylen Brown
Amir Johnson
Tyler Zeller
James Young

for

Paul George
Monta Ellis

Thoughts?
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#63 » by campybatman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:43 am

Depalma2002 wrote:
campybatman wrote:In my opinion, you don't include Brooklyn's first round pick this year without putting a top-three protection on it. Otherwise what's the point of having this option and you don't utilize it, if you're Ainge? Again, I think that you aren't doing your job as a general manager if you neglect to include it. If Brooklyn's first round pick is outside of one, two and three, great. If not, you'll own Boston's first round pick next year.

So you are basically telling Chicago that unless BRK goes on an absolute tear or the lottery balls fall exactly perfectly and three teams jump from outside the top 3 and push the pick down to #4, that you are offering Boston's likely very late first in 2018. Yeah, I see them champing at the bit to accept that.

If you are going to try to protect the 2017 pick, then you need to give them the Nets 2018 pick unprotected if it doesn't convey and then, you might as well offer the 2018 pick right now since that is how the Bulls will value the offer since that is by far the most probable post-lottery outcome.

If you've read my recent posts, you would already know that I've no interest in offering either Brooklyn first round picks in a trade for George, Butler, Drummond or whoever. Therefore, if including a top-three protection to this year's Brooklyn first round pick deters one or all of these teams from asking for it, then so be it. I don't care. As said, I don't want to trade them to begin with. And I'm not one of the ones hoping for a George or Butler trade. Conversely, I want to trade for a young player who can defend and rebound consistently.

If you want to offer multiple first round picks to Indiana or Chicago, you can offer Boston's 2018 first round pick and the Clippers' and Memphis' 2019 first round picks instead. Moreover, you can offer two of four young players, such as Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Terry Rozier and Guerschon Yabusele. Perhaps, you add an expiring contract to make the deal work financially. For instance, Kelly Olynyk or Jonas Jerebko. Also, Ainge can offer Minnesota's, the Clippers' and Cleveland's second round picks this year as well.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#64 » by meekrab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:06 am

Those are all likely 20+ picks. Why would Indiana or Chicago be interested? Your opinion is your opinion and if you don't want to trade for Butler or George then don't make an insulting lowball offer.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Re: RE: Re: Should Boston trade BKN 1st Round Draft pick for Paul George or Jimmy Butler? 

Post#65 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:43 am

Dominater wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:If boston wants PG its gonna cost them both Brooklyn picks, Crowder, Johnson, and Rozier. I would also like to have Boston take Monta Ellis. But Boston would have to add some salary to get it to work.

That's what its gona take.

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#66 » by Homerclease » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 am

No, they shouldn't.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Re: RE: Re: Should Boston trade BKN 1st Round Draft pick for Paul George or Jimmy Butler? 

Post#67 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 am

campybatman wrote:
Depalma2002 wrote:
campybatman wrote:In my opinion, you don't include Brooklyn's first round pick this year without putting a top-three protection on it. Otherwise what's the point of having this option and you don't utilize it, if you're Ainge? Again, I think that you aren't doing your job as a general manager if you neglect to include it. If Brooklyn's first round pick is outside of one, two and three, great. If not, you'll own Boston's first round pick next year.

So you are basically telling Chicago that unless BRK goes on an absolute tear or the lottery balls fall exactly perfectly and three teams jump from outside the top 3 and push the pick down to #4, that you are offering Boston's likely very late first in 2018. Yeah, I see them champing at the bit to accept that.

If you are going to try to protect the 2017 pick, then you need to give them the Nets 2018 pick unprotected if it doesn't convey and then, you might as well offer the 2018 pick right now since that is how the Bulls will value the offer since that is by far the most probable post-lottery outcome.

If you've read my recent posts, you would already know that I've no interest in offering either Brooklyn first round picks in a trade for George, Butler, Drummond or whoever. Therefore, if including a top-three protection to this year's Brooklyn first round pick deters one or all of these teams from asking for it, then so be it. I don't care. As said, I don't want to trade them to begin with. And I'm not one of the ones hoping for a George or Butler trade. Conversely, I want to trade for a young player who can defend and rebound consistently.

If you want to offer multiple first round picks to Indiana or Chicago, you can offer Boston's 2018 first round pick and the Clippers' and Memphis' 2019 first round picks instead. Moreover, you can offer two of four young players, such as Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Terry Rozier and Guerschon Yabusele. Perhaps, you add an expiring contract to make the deal work financially. For instance, Kelly Olynyk or Jonas Jerebko. Also, Ainge can offer Minnesota's, the Clippers' and Cleveland's second round picks this year as well.

Yeah well good luck with that.

meekrab
RealGM

Post#68 » by meekrab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:33 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Dominater wrote:

That's what its gona take.

If that was true Bird wouldn't be sitting up by the phone making it known PG was available.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#69 » by campybatman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:41 am

meekrab wrote:Those are all likely 20+ picks. Why would Indiana or Chicago be interested? Your opinion is your opinion and if you don't want to trade for Butler or George then don't make an insulting lowball offer.

STFU. Nobody asked you, nor was I talking to you. FYI, mind your own business in the future or don't read my posts.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#70 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:14 am

meekrab wrote:Porque no los dos?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zbl3oy9

Add a BKN pick to both Chicago and Indy and a future Celts pick or some other odds and ends to Indy.

Which team gets the 2017 pick? I think they'll both want it over the 2018 one.

Also I assume Indy gets more picks in this than the Bulls...?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#71 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:20 am

campybatman wrote:
meekrab wrote:Those are all likely 20+ picks. Why would Indiana or Chicago be interested? Your opinion is your opinion and if you don't want to trade for Butler or George then don't make an insulting lowball offer.

STFU. Nobody asked you, nor was I talking to you. FYI, mind your own business in the future or don't read my posts.

I see a ban coming.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#72 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:24 am

I think Boston needs to suck it up and put the two Brooklyn picks up for George or butler.

Zeller
Jerebko
2017 pick
2018 pick

For George or butler

Boston has two wildcard picks down the road owning the 2019 clippers and 2019 grizzlies picks that could end up being of similar value. Strike while the iron is hot because once that pick is made it will be like a car losing value as soon as it leaves the lot.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#73 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:40 am

campybatman wrote:

This is absolutely not a way to respond to someone.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
meekrab
RealGM

Post#74 » by meekrab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 am

Dan Z wrote:
meekrab wrote:Porque no los dos?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zbl3oy9

Add a BKN pick to both Chicago and Indy and a future Celts pick or some other odds and ends to Indy.

Which team gets the 2017 pick? I think they'll both want it over the 2018 one.

Also I assume Indy gets more picks in this than the Bulls...?

Obviously Indy should get more picks, but Chicago has a good argument for the 2017 pick, since they're giving up the better player by a somewhat significant margin.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#75 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 am

campybatman wrote:
Depalma2002 wrote:

I feel like it's the Cleveland second that will really put that offer over the top.

I think your position is just "I don't want to make any realistic trades for any of the available star players". That's fine. I disagree, but it's fine. But "how about these bags of chips"? Get it done Ainge! " is just going to annoy people who are trying to figure out the market value if the trade did go ahead.

I said elsewhere that the 17 BRK plus one of Brown or the 18 gets it done, with very little, if any, extra value from Bos. That still sounds right to me, and I think Boston should probably do it - but it's close enough that I understand the hesitation.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
mikestar
Junior
And1: 105

Post#76 » by mikestar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:31 am

Here is the answer - no.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#77 » by Kings2013 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:41 am

I wouldn't. Bradley/Crowder are fine, and the team is winning at its core now. Lebronn won't be around forever. Pretty sick to have two cores, the one competing now, and a early 20s one with these picks/Brown/Rozier/Zizic
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#78 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:51 am

Kings2013 wrote:I wouldn't. Bradley/Crowder are fine, and the team is winning at its core now. Lebronn won't be around forever. Pretty sick to have two cores, the one competing now, and a early 20s one with these picks/Brown/Rozier/Zizic

As a Cavs fan, I want them to hold onto those picks and not trade for Butler or PG. But it's the wrong move.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#79 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 am

Kings2013 wrote:I wouldn't. Bradley/Crowder are fine, and the team is winning at its core now. Lebronn won't be around forever. Pretty sick to have two cores, the one competing now, and a early 20s one with these picks/Brown/Rozier/Zizic

Just like with starting quarterbacks, if you have two cores, you've got no cores... I can see the appeal of a ten year window, but if that's ten years of fringe contention, wouldn't it be better to have one serious shot at it now? And, as a Memphis fan, I can tell you that even three picks high in the lottery doesn't guarantee you even a playoff-quality core...
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#80 » by T-d0t » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 am

jbk1234 wrote:

As a Cavs fan, I want them to hold onto those picks and not trade for Butler or PG. But it's the wrong move.

It's the wrong move because those guys on those rookie scale contracts won't be cheap for long and then there is a possibility that Celtics draft a player who isnt as good as Butler/George

Return to Trades and Transactions