WOJ Bomb - Bojan Bogdanovic to Washington

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who wins the deal?

Nets
33%
Wizards
13%
Both
54%
Neither
No votes

Total votes: 97

Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Re: WOJ Bomb - Bojan Bogdonovic to Washinton 

Post#41 » by Birdie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Golabki wrote:I'm a long standing Bogs hater so I love this for Bky.

They used their asset, ability to eat dead money, to get a first.

They still have tons of cap space as well.

You guys should try to tempt Phil by eating Noah's contract for their 2018 1st unprotected and a pick swap in 2019 for Lopez and call it a day. lol.
Come at the king, you best not miss...
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#42 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 pm

FNQ wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I like this trade for both teams. I don't understand why teams are reluctant to trade late firsts to get out of bad deals.

Right? Especially when they are often sold for < 3m on draft day.. Wizards just saved 20+m by making a trade.

I don't think a first rounder has been sold in years.
Nets paid a full $3m for a 2nd rounder last year.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#43 » by wickedwrister » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Like it for both, unloading Nicholson was likely to cost a first anyway, found a way to do that and get a decent player who can help them.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
BealsLegs
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#44 » by BealsLegs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Nicolson contract is worth losing a 1st

Sent from my LGMS330 using RealGM mobile app
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#45 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
FNQ wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I like this trade for both teams. I don't understand why teams are reluctant to trade late firsts to get out of bad deals.

Right? Especially when they are often sold for < 3m on draft day.. Wizards just saved 20+m by making a trade.

When W's drafted Nedovic (2012 or 2013 I think?) we bought and sold 2 picks and they were bought/sold around us too..

I'm of the mind that early 2nds are just as valuable as late 1sts anyways because of the non-gtd nature combined with the RFA rules (and 3 year contracts of 2nd rounders).. either way there is a ton more savings available if picks are traded in terms of dumping contracts
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm

FNQ wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
FNQ wrote:

When W's drafted Nedovic (2012 or 2013 I think?) we bought and sold 2 picks and they were bought/sold around us too..

I'm of the mind that early 2nds are just as valuable as late 1sts anyways because of the non-gtd nature combined with the RFA rules (and 3 year contracts of 2nd rounders).. either way there is a ton more savings available if picks are traded in terms of dumping contracts

Different time and CBA. A 1st rounder has not been sold in years.

I also don't ascribe to the second theory about 2nd rounders. Show me one time in history an early 2nd was traded for a late 1st or equated to more value in a trade.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#47 » by BleedGreen1989 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:21 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Brooklyn first Boston owns is losing value by the second

lol. Right. A late first and Andrew are shaking the landscape!
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#48 » by Zachbretton » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:22 pm

I think this is a balanced trade. Wiz get a hell of a bench presence, which they needed, as well as a prospect in McC who could become a bench big.

Nets get another pick, as well as an expiring in Thornton (who atleast can shoot), while taking on Nicholson (which isn't that bad for us since we have space)
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#49 » by R-DAWG » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Brooklyn first Boston owns is losing value by the second

lol. Right. A late first and Andrew are shaking the landscape!

Sources are saying that Cleveland is trying to figure out a counter move for the 1-8 series against the Nets.
Knicks still looking like a #superteam (according to Derrick Rose)
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,024

Post#50 » by daoneandonly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 pm

The Nets prove once again why they are the most in incompetent run franchise this side of Sacramento. Who would take on Nicholson and give up value, this is trash.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:I don't think a first rounder has been sold in years.

I also don't ascribe to the second theory about 2nd rounders. Show me one time in history an early 2nd was traded for a late 1st or equated to more value in a trade.

I can think there's a difference in actual value that's not reflected in trade value, though the new CBA probably skews it enough to make the difference marginal. But in prior CBAs, more so.

3 years ago isn't that long, and teams were still reluctant to use late picks to dump salary back then too. Point stands
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,569

Post#52 » by pcbothwel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Wiz fan here and I am NOT a fan of Bojan, but we dumped Nicholson and got McCullough. We made a really good deal.

McCullough was a top 20 recruit in 2015 that tore his ACL at the end of his Freshman year at Syracuse. He surprised many and came out to be drafted at the end of the 1st, but didnt play until the very end of last year in spot minutes. He has been killing it in the D-League as of late and appears to be a great fit for the Wizards.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The Nets prove once again why they are the most in incompetent run franchise this side of Sacramento. Who would take on Nicholson and give up value, this is trash.

Nicholson is a small bad contract, and irrelevant for a team that's going to be rebuilding for a while. They got a 1st for a player who's pretty limited in what he can do and was due a huge raise in the offseason. How much value do you think he really had? No reason to think any other team offered more.
Zachbretton
Rookie

Post#54 » by Zachbretton » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:29 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The Nets prove once again why they are the most in incompetent run franchise this side of Sacramento. Who would take on Nicholson and give up value, this is trash.

Are you serious? Bogs as nice as he was, wasn't going to be a part of our future. We have a similar player in Skil and he's cheaper. Bogs netted us a 1st, while taking on 6mil a year (which is nothing, since we're under the cap). If Nicholson is so bad we can stretch him next year for even less.

The best upside is Caris is now our starting SF, or atleast going to see an uptick in minutes which is huge!

I'm unsure how we gave up value?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

FNQ wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I can think there's a difference in actual value that's not reflected in trade value, though the new CBA probably skews it enough to make the difference marginal. But in prior CBAs, more so.

3 years ago isn't that long, and teams were still reluctant to use late picks to dump salary back then too. Point stands

I can understand why they are more reluctant now.
And while 3 years isn't long ago time-wise, the landscape can change quickly.

I do not think you will see a 1st sold again any time soon for outright cash, and I think 2nds are going to cost more than ever going forward. Time will tell...
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,428

Post#56 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't love the idea of including McCullough. He hasn't shown much, but you never know, though I think his likely end game is pretty much exactly Nicholson.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Zachbretton
Rookie

Post#57 » by Zachbretton » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Wiz fan here and I am NOT a fan of Bojan, but we dumped Nicholson and got McCullough. We made a really good deal.

McCullough was a top 20 recruit in 2015 that tore his ACL at the end of his Freshman year at Syracuse. He surprised many and came out to be drafted at the end of the 1st, but didnt play until the very end of last year in spot minutes. He has been killing it in the D-League as of late and appears to be a great fit for the Wizards.

I think Bogs will be really good for your bench, and can play well with guards like Beal and Wall. McC needs time to develop, but he can become a solid bench big at somepoint, so he's worth holding on to.

Overall I think its a fair swap of value
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,428

Post#58 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 pm

For the record, I really like this for Washington. I feel like they're one of the few teams who can hide Bogs in a number of different lineups on D and let him cook on offense.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,024

Post#59 » by daoneandonly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Zachbretton wrote:

Are you serious? Bogs as nice as he was, wasn't going to be a part of our future. We have a similar player in Skil and he's cheaper. Bogs netted us a 1st, while taking on 6mil a year (which is nothing, since we're under the cap). If Nicholson is so bad we can stretch him next year for even less.

The best upside is Caris is now our starting SF, or atleast going to see an uptick in minutes which is huge!

I'm unsure how we gave up value?

I think it can be argued the two best players in the trade are going to the Wiz, not to mention the worst player and worst contract are going to BKNs, all that for a very late first?

Unloading Nicholson alone is worth a Wiz first, so more should've been had
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:I do not think you will see a 1st sold again any time soon for outright cash, and I think 2nds are going to cost more than ever going forward. Time will tell...

I'd wager you are right, barring a team having a glut of picks and not needing them. And a weak draft. Lots and lots of qualifiers. When the cap is almost double what it used to be, guaranteeing 1m/year for a guy you dont have much hope for doesnt seem nearly as bad as it did in years past.

I'd actually love to see the maximum amount of spending cash go up too in line with the cap. I wonder if that would change anything.. to go from 60m to 105m should put spending cash at around 5.25m. Ah well. /derailing

Return to Trades and Transactions