Hollis Thompson signs 10-day contract with Pelicans

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Hollis Thompson signs 10-day contract with Pelicans 

Post#1 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 am

I was so close to proposing this on the forum yesterday, and opted against it solely because of how boring a post it would be. Well, here it is. Not a bad acquisition for NOP who obviously needs more guard depth. Hollis is an efficient outside shooter who will help space the floor, although he doesn't really bring much else to the table. I wish the best for him after all the L's he took in Philly.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,919

Re: Hollis Thompson signs 10-day contract with Pelicans 

Post#2 » by K_chile22 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:22 am

I like the fit, and I like Thompson. They really need shooting
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#3 » by BullyKing » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:23 am

Pelicans biggest acquisition of the week
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#4 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:23 am

Perfect spot for him. I expect he will finish the season for them and not just be there 10 days.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#5 » by Jon1798 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:25 am

Any Sixer fans willing to give me a real good rundown on him? Seems like tall, shooter, bad defense?
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#6 » by BullyKing » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:25 am

Jon1798 wrote:Any Sixer fans willing to give me a real good rundown on him? Seems like tall, shooter, bad defense?

Yup, you got it. Decent shooter doesn't do much else. Useful in the proper role.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,521

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 am

Jon1798 wrote:Any Sixer fans willing to give me a real good rundown on him? Seems like tall, shooter, bad defense?

If you want to know something crazy, he led the Sixers in minutes played last year. He is a (end of) rotational player in the NBA.

Spot up 3 point shooter at ~40%. Absolutely nothing else. Can do that skill set from the 2 or the 3 spot. Oddly enough, for the first time ever I heard an away announcing team describe him as athletic this past season, and watching that game I decided he kind of is. It just doesn't show up on defense and he has zero handle or rebounding skills. Or interior finishing, or etc.

So yeah, just a straight shooter. But unlike Crabbe, he doesn't cost ~20m.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:

If you want to know something crazy, he led the Sixers in minutes played last year. He is a (end of) rotational player in the NBA.

Spot up 3 point shooter at ~40%. Absolutely nothing else. Can do that skill set from the 2 or the 3 spot. Oddly enough, for the first time ever I heard an away announcing team describe him as athletic this past season, and watching that game I decided he kind of is. It just doesn't show up on defense and he has zero handle or rebounding skills. Or interior finishing, or etc.

I always thought confidence was an issue for Hollis. Like you said, it's not that he lacked athleticism. He lacked the willingness to break out of his comfort zone and actually use it.

Who knows, maybe a new system will help him to expand his game a bit.

pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#9 » by pelifan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Athletic? Can he run the floor then? That's valuable in itself with our team if he can get to the 3 point line in transition while the defense worries about Cuz and Davis filling the lanes he'll have a lot of open shots from that.

Hollis is exactly what we needed. a 10th man shooter with some size. We're trying to replace the production of Hield here, so I don't think it will be a particularly big ask.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#10 » by XDevilBoiX » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:33 am

He's a streaky shooter, more often cold then hot. Will give you 1 good game for every 5-7 games played.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#11 » by Zion Wembanyama » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 am

He's the next Khris Middleton.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:44 pm

That lasted long :sigh:

Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#13 » by Jon1798 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 pm

The guy wouldn't miss a shot in practice, and then wouldn't make one in the games. Looked nervous as hell. Almost hoping it went in.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj

Return to Trades and Transactions