Sixers/Blazers: Draft Night

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Re: Sixers/Blazers: Draft Night 

Post#21 » by GutUNC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Monk has one year of college ball and no real indication on how his game will transfer to the pro level. You're comparing the offense of a college player to a pro. I could understand maybe wanting to take a chance on a prospect like Fultz or Ball with a young team like Philly, but the chances of Monk becoming the player McCollum isn't very high.

But as always, the comparison is Monk + $20M in players vs. McCollum (or whoever the players involved are).

I know I'm gonna regret this post.....

But as always, there's also no guarantee that Monk + $20M in players is better than McCollum. Monk could be a bust and those $20M in players will in all likelihood be role players since Philly has yet to be a FA destination.

Of course there's no guarantee, there never is and no one's saying there is. But I'd rather take my chances with a top-5 pick and $20M then on McCollum, a very good player, but one who's undersized and is a sub-par defender. Maybe the pick busts and you spend the money on Allen Crabbe 2.0 - but I'll take the odds that it doesn't over being locked in to McCollum (again - no offense to CJM, who I like).
GDTBATH
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 pm

The only possible trade on draft night is if Portland somehow won the lottery and agree to
trade the #1 pick + filler to the Sixers for Saric and the Sixers pick.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#23 » by DusterBuster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Norm2953 wrote:The only possible trade on draft night is if Portland somehow won the lottery and agree to

I can't imagine Portland being willing to do that.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#24 » by DusterBuster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:50 pm

GutUNC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
But as always, the comparison is Monk + $20M in players vs. McCollum (or whoever the players involved are).

But as always, there's also no guarantee that Monk + $20M in players is better than McCollum. Monk could be a bust and those $20M in players will in all likelihood be role players since Philly has yet to be a FA destination.

Of course there's no guarantee, there never is and no one's saying there is. But I'd rather take my chances with a top-5 pick and $20M then on McCollum, a very good player, but one who's undersized and is a sub-par defender. Maybe the pick busts and you spend the money on Allen Crabbe 2.0 - but I'll take the odds that it doesn't over being locked in to McCollum (again - no offense to CJM, who I like).

For a fan base that seems to hate their GM and thinks he's garbage, I'm not sure why you'd want to "take your chances" on things that require a massive amount of trust in your GM to have work out in the teams favor (draft and FA). However, as someone who's not even slightly interested in trading CJ for the unknowns of a draft pick, that opinion of yours is a-ok by me.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#25 » by GutUNC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:57 am

DusterBuster wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

For a fan base that seems to hate their GM and thinks he's garbage, I'm not sure why you'd want to "take your chances" on things that require a massive amount of trust in your GM to have work out in the teams favor (draft and FA). However, as someone who's not even slightly interested in trading CJ for the unknowns of a draft pick, that opinion of yours is a-ok by me.

I'm not sure why you think I'd prefer the Sixers take the course with (imo) lower odds regardless of who the GM is, but whatever. That has nothing to do with anything.
GDTBATH
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#26 » by Norm2953 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:The only possible trade on draft night is if Portland somehow won the lottery and agree to

I can't imagine Portland being willing to do that.

Portland's not likely in the lottery :lol:
Jojothewhale
Junior
And1: 164

Post#27 » by Jojothewhale » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Colangelo's competence is not a simple true/false statement. I have loathed pretty much everything he's done in-season and yet can still admit he had an excellent 2016 draft night, even if he possibly had to be saved from himself. Likewise, he showed restraint in free agency I didn't think he had in him.

None of this means I think McCollum for a pick is a good match for either side.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#28 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm always curious the highest pick *another* team would give for McCollum. It seems like there is an ask from Philly that just wouldn't be matched elsewhere.

If the Brooklyn pick drops to 4 does Boston do it, or do they value the cap space and the prospect more.
Would Orlando/Sac/Phoenix give up a top 5 pick for him?
Would LAL do something around #3?
Minnesota?

Knicks might get interesting, maybe thats a team that would give a top 5 pick for McCollum if they sneak that high?
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#29 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:43 pm

I'd give anything 4th or below for McCollum.

no way is Richaun Holmes being included in that deal though

Return to Trades and Transactions