UTA/BOS (July/August trade with some hypotheticals)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

RR9
Starter
And1: 157

Re: UTA/BOS (July/August trade with some hypotheticals) 

Post#21 » by RR9 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:43 pm

eminence wrote:Hell no. You don't move a top 10 player on long-term deal for a single pretty good prospect.

assuming longterm means 2+ years,

Davis
Westbrook
Leonard
Harden
Curry
Butler
George
Giannis
Cousins
Derozan
Irving
Lilliard

are all better than Gobert. Top 10's a stretch...but maybe top 20. I excluded Lebron, Durant, IT, and KAT (Rookie contract).
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:45 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:Not really. I disagree with that. The top of the draft is usually pretty good and No. 1 picks are by far the very top of the ladder(as in most prospects hit and turn into all-stars). Most of them become all-stars and significant portion of them are perennial all-stars.

True but then I can point out Bowie, Kandi Man, Marvin Williams, OJ Mayo, etc, top ten doesn't always mean All Star, its a risk.

You are arguing something completely different than what this trade proposes. I'm talking about no. 1 pick. Not top 10. I'm not trading Gobert for Miles Bridges or Marquese Chriss. We are trading for the no. 1 pick in the draft.

Anthony Bennett, Kandi Man, Kwame Brown, Greg Oden...
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#23 » by stitches » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
True but then I can point out Bowie, Kandi Man, Marvin Williams, OJ Mayo, etc, top ten doesn't always mean All Star, its a risk.

You are arguing something completely different than what this trade proposes. I'm talking about no. 1 pick. Not top 10. I'm not trading Gobert for Miles Bridges or Marquese Chriss. We are trading for the no. 1 pick in the draft.

Anthony Bennett, Kandi Man, Kwame Brown, Greg Oden...

Tim Duncan, Lebron James, Anthony Davis, KAT .... I recognized it's a risk. It's not a certain hit, but it's the best way to get a perennial all-star.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#24 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:44 pm

stitches wrote:Hypothetical 1: Boston doesn't pull off a trade before the draft.
Hypothetical 2: Boston lands Fultz in the draft
Hypothetical 3: Hayward decides to leave in the summer and chooses Boston.

Trade:

Utah trades: Rudy Gobert
Utah receives: Markelle Fultz + filler(to make the numbers work)

Boston trades: Markelle Fultz + filler(to make the numbers work)
Boston receives: Rudy Gobert

Why for Utah: Utah will probably lose both Hayward and Hill if Hayward leaves and the team will be left in the position of being close to a treadmill team with a roster that's probably going to be good enough to hover around .500 - bad enough to not be a real threat in the West, and good enough to not get close to the top of the lottery and supplement the team with star talent. The Jazz decide to not waste Gobert's prime and start their rebuild with what might amount to be a star player in Fultz. The Jazz start their rebuilt around Fultz-Exum-Hood-Lyles-picks core. (Probably will have to trade Favors for future assets too).

Why for Boston: If Boston gets Hayward they will be extremely close to being a true contender and they will have very few weaknesses. Gobert addresses pretty much all of them - the best interior defense in the league, elite rebounding, the ultimate eraser for IT's weaknesses on D.

Thoughts?

Are you crazy?

Why in the world would be trade Gobert? Let alone for a totally unknown rookie. He's already a top 20 (maybe even higher) talent that's still super young and on an incredible contract. If we're rebuilding, we're doing it around Gobert. He's already better than Fultz might end up ever being and he's only going to improve. Why in the world would you take that gamble? It's a massive risk with extremely slim rewards assuming it does work out. Gobert is already in the talks for DPOY and will soon be in the talks for MVP.

If we're making a trade with Boston in the case of Hayward leaving, we're doing a sign and trade with Hayward. Nothing else.

Boston would do this in a heart-beat and would be laughing all the way. They'd never lose a game with a core of IT, Bradley, Hayward, Horford, Gobert.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
stitches
RealGM

Post#25 » by stitches » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:Are you crazy?

Why in the world would be trade Gobert? Let alone for a totally unknown rookie. He's already a top 20 (maybe even higher) talent that's still super young and on an incredible contract. If we're rebuilding, we're doing it around Gobert. He's already better than Fultz might end up ever being and he's only going to improve. Why in the world would you take that gamble? It's a massive risk with extremely slim rewards assuming it does work out. Gobert is already in the talks for DPOY and will soon be in the talks for MVP.

If we're making a trade with Boston in the case of Hayward leaving, we're doing a sign and trade with Hayward. Nothing else.

Boston would do this in a heart-beat and would be laughing all the way. They'd never lose a game with a core of IT, Bradley, Hayward, Horford, Gobert.

I'm sorry I can't take this seriously.

Of course Fultz might never become as good as Gobert is now... but he might also become an MVP contender. This is not the point here. You are all acting like we will be picking a prospect out of a hat. That's not the case!!! You are picking the No.1 player in this year's draft, who IMO has a very realistic chance to be a perennial all-star in due time and is much easier to build around(when you account for the picks that will be coming our way in the following 1-2 years).

Among all the Jazz fans replies I can sense a lot of emotion, which I can appreciate and don't think I wouldn't hate seeing Rudy leave myself, but I also see not a lot of realistic arguments against my main point - if we lose Hayward and Hill, this team will be hovering around .500 for the foreseeable future. Make the case with realistic trades/free agency acquisitions that will make the Jazz as good as we are now, let alone better(something we will need to be if we need to be contenders). Just do it.

Here's your team sans Hill and Hayward:

PGs: Dante Exum, Raul Neto
SGs: Rodney Hood, Alec Burks
SFs: Joe Johnson(for 1 year, probably retires after), Joe Ingles(RFA, lets assume we keep him)
PFs: Derrick Favors(for 1 year, unknown if we can keep him after we lost Hayward and Hill and didn't give him the extension he wanted), Trey Lyles
Cs: Rudy Gobert

Picks:
-25, 30, 44, 55 in 2017 draft
-own first, OKC first(lottery protected) in 2018 draft

Draft out a plan where we will be better than the current Jazz roster in the next 4 years(until Gobert's contract expires and he just leaves for nothing). Try to make it realistic.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:51 pm

RR9 wrote:
eminence wrote:Hell no. You don't move a top 10 player on long-term deal for a single pretty good prospect.

assuming longterm means 2+ years,

Davis
Westbrook
Leonard
Harden
Curry
Butler
George
Giannis
Cousins
Derozan
Irving
Lilliard

are all better than Gobert. Top 10's a stretch...but maybe top 20. I excluded Lebron, Durant, IT, and KAT (Rookie contract).

I think your list is too long. I can't imagine Derozan, Kyrie, or Dame are more valuable. Cousins definitely isn't. I'd not take PG or Butler over him either.

AD, Westbrook, Leonard, Harden, Curry I can see it. Giannis is close, but I understand why some would pick him. Everyone else I'm taking Gobert over.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
stitches
RealGM

Post#27 » by stitches » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
I think your list is too long. I can't imagine Derozan, Kyrie, or Dame are more valuable. Cousins definitely isn't. I'd not take PG or Butler over him either.

AD, Westbrook, Leonard, Harden, Curry I can see it. Giannis is close, but I understand why some would pick him. Everyone else I'm taking Gobert over.

So Chuck, you didn't give your opinion - ignore the value here. Lets assume Boston is willing to pay it(be it 1 BKN pick or both, or some other combination of their assets). Do you think it's reasonable to trade Gobert in case the Jazz lose Hill and Hayward? If it were you would you try to retool around Gobert or do you think the Jazz will be better served to start from zero-ish with high end assets like the ones Boston can pay? I would appreciate your input. Thanks.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,813

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:08 pm

stitches wrote:So Chuck, you didn't give your opinion - ignore the value here. Lets assume Boston is willing to pay it(be it 1 BKN pick or both, or some other combination of their assets). Do you think it's reasonable to trade Gobert in case the Jazz lose Hill and Hayward? If it were you would you try to retool around Gobert or do you think the Jazz will be better served to start from zero-ish with high end assets like the ones Boston can pay? I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

If I've lost Hayward(and let's assume that without Hayward the Jazz and George Hill can't come to a number that makes sense for both--I'm assuming Utah might push the budget if they were retaining both, but might ease back on Hill since they wouldn't be immediate contenders barring another major move in the absence of Gordon.)?

My inclination is probably to still rebuild around Gobert. I might even get aggressive and try and package some of my attractive young talent to bring in a perimeter star to pair with him. I would have to get an offer I felt like I could not refuse--and I'd have to be convinced Fultz was a superstar.

So to answer you, I'd say I'd keep Gobert, but if Boston came to me and offered Fultz plus the 2018 Brooklyn pick it would give me pause at least. The bottom line for me is that I feel like I could hope to replace Hayward. Especially since Utah has some assets to work with. I don't see any chance of being able to remotely replace Gobert.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#29 » by Homerclease » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't see a way that Utah trades their 24 year old franchise cornerstone at this point in time for all the tea in china.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#30 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 pm

stitches wrote:

Of course Fultz might never become as good as Gobert is now... but he might also become an MVP contender. This is not the point here. You are all acting like we will be picking a prospect out of a hat. That's not the case!!! You are picking the No.1 player in this year's draft, who IMO has a very realistic chance to be a perennial all-star in due time and is much easier to build around(when you account for the picks that will be coming our way in the following 1-2 years).

Among all the Jazz fans replies I can sense a lot of emotion, which I can appreciate and don't think I wouldn't hate seeing Rudy leave myself, but I also see not a lot of realistic arguments against my main point - if we lose Hayward and Hill, this team will be hovering around .500 for the foreseeable future. Make the case with realistic trades/free agency acquisitions that will make the Jazz as good as we are now, let alone better(something we will need to be if we need to be contenders). Just do it.

SFs: Joe Johnson(for 1 year, probably retires after), Joe Ingles(RFA, lets assume we keep him)
PFs: Derrick Favors(for 1 year, unknown if we can keep him after we lost Hayward and Hill and didn't give him the extension he wanted), Trey Lyles

Picks:

Draft out a plan where we will be better than the current Jazz roster in the next 4 years(until Gobert's contract expires and he just leaves for nothing). Try to make it realistic.

How can you not take that seriously? He's arguably the greatest influence on defense in the league and his offensive game isn't far behind. Just because he doesn't jack up 30 shots a game doesn't mean he can't be a massive factor on offense. I think you need to go educate yourself on just how good Gobert has been this year.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Diamondman07
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#31 » by Diamondman07 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Would have to be a sign and Trade move where Hayward signs with Utah and then is traded to Boston. That way Boston won't have to renounce all their players and can trade their salaries
THREE Time Dunn Elementary Paper Air Plane launch champion
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#32 » by bs_and_cs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 am

Value is more than fair.

But if Boston ends up with the #1 overall, I just don't see them trading it.
12buckets
Pro Prospect
And1: 273

Post#33 » by 12buckets » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:31 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
stitches wrote:

Picks:

How can you not take that seriously? He's arguably the greatest influence on defense in the league and his offensive game isn't far behind. Just because he doesn't jack up 30 shots a game doesn't mean he can't be a massive factor on offense. I think you need to go educate yourself on just how good Gobert has been this year.

If Hayward and Hill leave, then the Jazz won't be good enough for Gobert to have any shot of being in the MVP discussion. He'll be a great player for those who watch Jazz games, but that won't be a national audience and he won't be getting credit for enough wins. Look to Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis for examples of that.

I love when fans are passionate about a player and have a real connection with someone they spend so much time and energy rooting for, and it's easy to see that Gobert is that kind of player.

But I hate when teams become treadmills, and get stuck in a cycle of mediocrity that doesn't allow for internal improvement or high draft picks to get help from outside. The problem is that it's really easy to be optimistic, and you never know for sure if that's going to be the result until you get there. By that point it's too late and you've wasted a couple seasons. Paul George sees this writing on the wall and the Pacers are in a weird spot with him because of it.

I credit the OP for being willing to accept this probability and be aggressive in avoiding this pitfall, as unlikely of a course as it is. The mistake was not asking for enough. Gobert to that Celtics team would be a dream, and I'd ask for all of Fultz, Brown, and next seasons BKN pick. Don't settle for just the one. There's no one else the Celtics could trade for that would make that sort of impact and it would be way more worth it to them to go all in for Gobert if they already had Hayward than it would be to add a guy like Jimmy Butler to the team right now.
Give me a Tommy Point!
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#34 » by bs_and_cs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:34 am

12buckets wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
stitches wrote:I'm sorry I can't take this seriously.

Picks:

If Hayward and Hill leave, then the Jazz won't be good enough for Gobert to have any shot of being in the MVP discussion. He'll be a great player for those who watch Jazz games, but that won't be a national audience and he won't be getting credit for enough wins. Look to Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis for examples of that.

I love when fans are passionate about a player and have a real connection with someone they spend so much time and energy rooting for, and it's easy to see that Gobert is that kind of player.

But I hate when teams become treadmills, and get stuck in a cycle of mediocrity that doesn't allow for internal improvement or high draft picks to get help from outside. The problem is that it's really easy to be optimistic, and you never know for sure if that's going to be the result until you get there. By that point it's too late and you've wasted a couple seasons. Paul George sees this writing on the wall and the Pacers are in a weird spot with him because of it.

I credit the OP for being willing to accept this probability and be aggressive in avoiding this pitfall, as unlikely of a course as it is. The mistake was not asking for enough. Gobert to that Celtics team would be a dream, and I'd ask for all of Fultz, Brown, and next seasons BKN pick. Don't settle for just the one. There's no one else the Celtics could trade for that would make that sort of impact and it would be way more worth it to them to go all in for Gobert if they already had Hayward than it would be to add a guy like Jimmy Butler to the team right now.

And I'd hope Ainge would quickly hang up after the Jazz asked for that.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#35 » by brackdan70 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:24 am

here is how it goes down. Hayward notifies the Jazz that he plans to move on and sign with the Cs. Cs and Jazz agree on draft day, but not official until a month after Fultz signs so he is eligible for trade and his salary can be used. Cs draft Fultz for Utah, sign him immediately (7 million), then after a month trade Fultz (7m), Brown (5m), Bradley (8.8m), and 2018 Brooklyn Pick for Gobert (21m). Then officially sign Hayward.

High Price but I think worth it.

IT / Rozier / Jackson
Hayward / Smart
Crowder / Nader
Horford / Mid Level FA / Yabusele / Mickey
Gobert / Zizic
Sign here
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#36 » by KqWIN » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:51 am

The idea isn't that crazy, but this just isn't a realistic trade. If Hayward leaves, I am 1000% confident that the Jazz scavenge what they can and try to sneak into the playoffs. I'm not saying I like it, but I think anyone who's observed the Jazz franchise over the years would understand what the most realistic direction they would take.

It's similar to the Love-Wiggins trade, but I think the Gobert has more value than Love had at the time. Love was already on his way out, whereas Rudy is locked in for 4 years and committed to the franchise. I'd assume that Utah would want more than what Minnesota received because the situation is more favorable.
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,615

Post#37 » by Asian Celtic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:13 am

This is the worst case scenario for Jazz Fan - and emotionally I wouldn't want this to happen to the team if I was a fan. Thinking on the business side this is a pretty decent idea.

Now this is a best case scenario for Boston - I wouldn't blink if the Jazz asks for #1 PIck + 18 BKN pick + Salary filler (Possibly crowder?). 3 years into rebuild and Boston becomes a powerhouse.

Overall odds of this one happening is slim to none though.
stitches
RealGM

Post#38 » by stitches » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:How can you not take that seriously? He's arguably the greatest influence on defense in the league and his offensive game isn't far behind. Just because he doesn't jack up 30 shots a game doesn't mean he can't be a massive factor on offense. I think you need to go educate yourself on just how good Gobert has been this year.

Well, bring in some more condescension, please. I know perfectly well how good Gobert has been, I've watched every single game. I'm still waiting for your plan of retooling around Gobert, though. I've asked you several times and you keep throwing your condescension around without any real answer to my main question.

Here's last 20 years MVP voting:

2016: lowest USG of top 5- Kawhi at 26, all others are 30+
2015: lowest USG of top 5 - AD at 28, all others are 30+
2014: lowest USG of top 5 - Noah at 19, all others are 28+
2013: lowest USG of top 5 - Cp3 at 23, all others are 30+
2012: lowest USG of top 5 - Cp3 at 24, all others are 28+
2011: lowest USG of top 5 - Dwight at 27
2010: lowest USG of top 5 - Dwight at 24
2009: lowest USG of top 5 - Dwight at 26
2008: lowest USG of top 5 - Dwight at 24
2007: lowest USG of top 5 - Nash at 23
2006: lowest USG of top 5 - Billups at 23
2005: lowest USG of top 5 - Nash at 21
2004: lowest USG of top 5 - Peja at 24
2003: lowest USG of top 5 - Garnett at 26
2002: lowest USG of top 5 - Kidd at 23
2001: lowest USG of top 5 - Duncan at 29
2000: lowest USG of top 5 - Garnett at 27
1999: lowest USG of top 5 - Kidd at 21
1998: lowest USG of top 5 - Payton at 25
1997: lowest USG of top 5 - Hardaway at 27

Gobert's highest USG is 16 this year. The lowest players on this list are usually playmakers with a ton of assists. Gobert's closest in this list is Noah at 19, that's with Noah being DPOY + being a main playmaker in Chicago's offense and averaging 5.5(!!!!!) assists per game and Chicago finishing third in the east without Rose. Now tell me how you are going to get the Jazz to home court advantage with a retool around Gobert so he would have a chance to be in the MVP discussion. I will keep waiting.

Is it completely impossible? Sure it's not. I just don't think the chances are very good.
stitches
RealGM

Post#39 » by stitches » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 am

KqWIN wrote:The idea isn't that crazy, but this just isn't a realistic trade. If Hayward leaves, I am 1000% confident that the Jazz scavenge what they can and try to sneak into the playoffs. I'm not saying I like it, but I think anyone who's observed the Jazz franchise over the years would understand what the most realistic direction they would take.

It's similar to the Love-Wiggins trade, but I think the Gobert has more value than Love had at the time. Love was already on his way out, whereas Rudy is locked in for 4 years and committed to the franchise. I'd assume that Utah would want more than what Minnesota received because the situation is more favorable.

Yeah, I think we won't have the guts to do it, either. It would be quite brutal for the fanbase to lose Hayward and then Gobert and to tell them - hey, we are starting from (close to) zero all over again. I don't think they will be willing to do it. And I think it will be a mistake, but oh well...

With that said, I think I might have underestimated Gobert's value in the OP, mainly because of his good 4 years contract. That's huge positive and the Jazz would probably be able to bargain for more than just Fultz.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#40 » by brackdan70 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:The idea isn't that crazy, but this just isn't a realistic trade. If Hayward leaves, I am 1000% confident that the Jazz scavenge what they can and try to sneak into the playoffs. I'm not saying I like it, but I think anyone who's observed the Jazz franchise over the years would understand what the most realistic direction they would take.

Yeah, I think we won't have the guts to do it, either. It would be quite brutal for the fanbase to lose Hayward and then Gobert and to tell them - hey, we are starting from (close to) zero all over again. I don't think they will be willing to do it. And I think it will be a mistake, but oh well...

With that said, I think I might have underestimated Gobert's value in the OP, mainly because of his good 4 years contract. That's huge positive and the Jazz would probably be able to bargain for more than just the Fultz.

Yeah it would be really crazy if something like this did happen.

If Hayward leaves Jazz then have a fair bit of cap space no?, and still Gobert, Favors, Hood as a good young core. I know not a top free agent destination, but I think making some offers on decent RFA guys would be a good strategy and they could still build a retry solid team.
Sign here

Return to Trades and Transactions